“Great place to stay for business or pleasure”

Romantik Hotel Europe
Ranked #13 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
San Diego, California
“Great place to stay for business or pleasure”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife has been traveling to Zurich for a couple weeks each month for the last year and this is her hotel of choice and home away from home. Our family has accompanied her on a couple trips and really enjoyed our stay. The location is perfect for getting around Zurich (close to trains, the lake, shopping, old town is a few blocks away...). The rooms and building have that old world charm, but with modern amenities, etc....striking just the right balance. The staff are excellent and always accommodating. The restaurant and bar are also terrific. We've always had a great experience staying here and always look forward to our future trips to Zurich.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Sebastian_Kramer, Manager at Romantik Hotel Europe, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Katway,

we feel honoured that your wife's home away from home is our hotel. Our family tries the best to accomodate our guest with each individual wish. Thank you for appreciating our little details we have implemented in our rooms that make us unique from other hotels in Zürich. The entire design is made by my mother and we always look for the most comfortable furnitures that are directly purchased in Paris.

We have now started a promotion that if you book direclty through our website with the promo-code "hotel" you will receive the breakfast for free. Please remember that this is not the case if you book through Expedia or any other well known travel agent.

We are looking forward welcoming you back again soon.

Family Kramer and the Hotel Europe Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Arabic first
Duck, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at Hotel Europe June 2 and 3 and couldn't have been more pleased. The Kramer family went out of their way to provide information and recommendations, handle tickets and other requests, and even shipped my husband's phone back to the States. Our room - the Rudolph Nureyev Room where Rudy stayed when he came to Zurich - was beautifully decorated, and the bathroom was spacious, decorated in crisp, traditional black and white tile and had bathtub and shower. In short, Hotel Europe is a perfect place to relax and to use as a base for touring Zurich or just strolling along the river. We look forward to going back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KAKODU,

you have been very charming guests at our hotel. It was a pleasure giving you specific recommendations for Zürich & St.Moritz. I hope you could have had a look at the Segantini Museum and the whiskey bar. We really appreciate that you have valued our signature Suite "Nurejew". If you ever have time, read the book "Nurejew's Dog". I highly recommend it! We would love to welcome you back. You can be sure that we will be here for you.

Please remember to book directly through our website next time with the promo-code "hotel" in order to receive the breakfast for free which you will not get with Expedia or any other well known travel agent.

Have a wonderful week.

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Once again, I come back to one of my favorites hotel in the world, and the feeling is exactly the one that you get after being away from home and you get back. This I recommend to anybody who is looking for quality, charm, homely, great rooms, great food, it is just a great Hotel with a wonderful character, and the service, second to none. The best location in the city, from all aspects. This charming Hotel is run by the Kramer's family, and they make sure that you feel as part of them. For me, without any question, when I come to Zurich, either business or pleasure, this is the place to stay.

2 Thank Tito W
Sebastian_Kramer, Manager at Romantik Hotel Europe, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Tito W,

it is great to have you back and we highly value your loyalty towards our family. We have especially reserved your most favourite room. Furthermore, thank you for your feedback concerning our music inside our hotel with the great singers such as Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong and all the famous singers.

Thank you again for booking directly through our website where you find promotions that you cannot find anywhere else.

We have now launched our facebook site where you can find a lot of information on what is going on in Zürich. Join us and enjoy special recommendations for Zürich.

Have a wonderful day.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel has a classic character and I can definitely and if you want to stay for 1 or 2 nights.
Classic room decoration, some rooms have small balconies.
Friendly service. No minibar, bathroom old-fashioned and small.

2 Thank JR1Amsterdam
Sebastian_Kramer, Manager at Romantik Hotel Europe, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear JR1Amsterdam,

first of all thank you for compiling your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate that you have taken your time to write your comments.

Please remember to reserve a room directly through us by email, telephone or our website. You will then receive the benefit of having the breakfast for free which is not the case if you book through Expedia or any other well known online travel agent. Please enter the promo code "hotel" on our website in order to receive this promotion.

If you have any wishes concerning your room size, colour, or floor allocation we would be delighted to help you. We hope you had a good trip back home and it would be wonderful to welcome you back at our family hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed in a double room with my husband in February. The location is a tad out of the way from the city centre (right behind the opera house which is a beautiful building). The hotel is in a building of which it occupies only a certain area. I arrived to check in early so left my bag at reception, and the receptionist kindly showed me 2 or 3 rooms until I found one I loved. I chose a blue room. The room was was large even very large compared to say London/Paris/Rome. Decor was lovely, bed very comfy and nice quality touches. The bathroom with bath and nice amenities (the White company) and in art deco style in black and white. The price was above 300CHF and I thought this price was rather outrageous. But I guess Switzerland is very expensive. We also had breakfast which was included in the price but kept coming up as separate on our bill causing endless confusion. The breakfast is served in a restaurant housed in the same building (with lovely decor and apparently very nice food). I really disliked the breakfast experience and it left a poor impression of the hotel. We were asked to sit down and the food would be served to us (there was a table in the middle of the room with everything on it) and we were served a really modest quantity of food (one small piece of bread and I think one croissant) with a hot beverage. I thought that was very poor value indeed, but also it made the place look 'mean'. Come on, you cannot do better for 10CHF I don't believe it! No tea making facilities in the room and no fridge. At this price really I think they should stretch the extra mile and provide these as there is no shortage of space. I had bought some fabulous fondue and had to keep it on the balcony to keep it cold! Also had to order tea from reception (which came from the independent restaurant) and I thought ok I don't object to paying but you must get it right. They forgot something on each occasion (once the tea bag, once the milk) so then I bought my own milk so as not to risk it but then had no fridge. So in essence a bit of a mixed review but this is primarily to do with the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sebastian_Kramer, Manager at Romantik Hotel Europe, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear cckl1971,

thank you for your very detailed review. We have immidiately taken your critics to a management meeting and adapted the changes already concerning the breakfast. We apologies for the inconvenience you were faced during your breakfast experience.

However, we are glad that you have enjoyed our belle epoque design of your room and the size we had offered you. Concerning the prices we are constantly comparing ourselves with our region. Hence, the room rates are compared to foreign countries higher on average.

Please remember that we are one of the few hotels offering the breakfast inside the room rate if you book directly through our website. Otherwise if you book through Expedia or any other well known online travel agent it is not included.

We would love to welcome you back to our family hotel in order to show you our implemented changes.

Vaasa, Finland
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I chose Hotel Europe solely based on the location and price, as it seemed quite reasonably priced in comparable with some other hotels around the same area. Hotel was easy to find, it is about 300m from the Stadelhofen station, so it's easy to get there from the airport. The lake is right around the corner from the hotel, so if you like running, you'll love it (I do not believe the hotel has gym). Plenty of restaurants nearby and the shops and the old town are only a short walk away as well. Hotel rooms are quite spacious with a big bed and an old school type of look in the room. Bathroom had clearly had a facelift not too long ago and had plenty of products and towels. Room was vy clean and neat. Wifi was included and worked very well for a hotel wifi. Breakfast was not included and felt rather pricey, a croissant and some orange juice was 10 CHF but there are plenty of bakeries around if you don't feel like paying this. Unless you really hate the old school look, I cannot see why you wouldn't enjoy yourself at this charming place!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Sebastian_Kramer, Manager at Romantik Hotel Europe, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Linda N.,

thank you for your kind comments on your previous stay. We have completely renovated our hotel in 2011 which is the reason why you have seen a facelift of our bathrooms. Furthermore, we are glad you have mentioned that our rates are reasonably priced compared with other hotels within the region whcih we consistenly benchmark. It is true that we have one of the best and convenient connections from and to the airport with the train S16 which leaves every 30 minutes. Hence, the only thing you'll need to do is to take the train until Stadelhofen and walk right behind the opera house.

We are thankful that you have enjoyed our breakfast. I would like to mention to you that if you book directly through our website next time with the promo-code "hotel" you will receive the breakfast for free. This is not possible if you book through Expedia or any other online travel agent that you know of.

We would be happy to welcome you back in Zürich. You might want to visit us again during the summer time where we can give you wonderful recommendations for near by activities. Please like us on our facebook site named "Hotel Europe Zürich" in order to receive information about special events that are taking place in Zürich in order to keep you updated.

Stockholm
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Hotel Europe has a great location if you want to be near the Opera, the Zurich Lake, and the center of the city. It's literally right behind the opera so it's closer to the city center than most Seefeld area hotels.

It's a 4 star hotel as in a charming, classic style, slightly quirky 4 star hotel with a character. The rooms are smallish but are nicely furnished with classic-looking furniture, crystal chandeliers, and French style wallpapers. So personally I appreciate the character and style of the hotel; it's old style but nicely renovated and decorated.

Bathrooms are also smallish but nice - think chequered tiled floors and classic-looking washbasins (plus a shower or a bathtub of course).

I have stayed twice and I have the impression that the rooms are quite different in size and shape (since it's an old building), but both rooms have been nice.

The downstairs restaurant is French, I didn't try it for dinner but the place looks classy and cosy with white tablecloths and lit candles.

Breakfast was good; a small but nice buffet + they were happy to make an omelet or similar as well.

Wi-Fi was free and worked well in my room. I could also borrow an iron & ironing board to use in my room, which isn't possible at all hotels in Switzerland (even 4 stars).

Overall I think it's a charming hotel, and if I you get a good rate I wouldn't hesitate. Sometimes when I was coming to Zurich the rates were higher and then I chose a different hotel. But I do like the Hotel Europe!

1 Thank roamingmatt
Dear roamingmatt,

thank you for taking your time to write this detailed review. We highly appreciate that you have valued our European charm in our hotel that is different to a lot of hotels in Zürich that have modernized completely without any differentiation. Therefore, we have stayed loyal to our antique furniture that has been selected very carfully.

It would be wonderful to visit you again at our hotel and please remember that if you book directly through our hotel website, you will receive the breakfast for free with the promo-code "hotel". This is not the case if you book a room through Expedia or any other well known online travel agent.