“Close to train station”

Ranked #46 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Close to train station”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel 10/09/13 - 10/13/13, and I selected it because it was close to the train station. We were quite pleased with this choice. The front desk was very helpful especially Ms A. Herzen, excellent customer service. The room was clean but very little outlet, only at the desk. The lighting is poor could use more light. The breakfast was adequate. We felt safe walking to and from the hotel but than we were never out later than 10pm. It is an easy walk to all the shopping, restaurant and sights, which is on the opposite side of the train station.

Helpful tip to find hotel: Direction from the train station to hotel. Standing at the platform with the train tract to your back, turn left and walk to the end of the station out to Zollstrasse Street. Turn left and walk to the bike barn and you will come to a stop light on your right. Cross the street and walk on Sihlquai Street until you will see St. Gallerhof, turn left and keep walking on the left side until you see Hotel Montana. (if you reach Starbucks when walking on Sihlquai Street you went too far).

I booked day trips on VIATOR.COM and the vendor was Gray Line operated by Hans Meier Tourist Ltd. and all of the tours starting point was at Sihlquai Bus Terminal Station which is just across from Starbucks, which made it so easy for us to get out tours each day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 808LApo
Wiebke K, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Montana, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear 808LApo,

thank you very much for taking the time to give as such a nice Feedback.

I will pass your comments to Mrs Herzen and I really appreciate that you mention her
personally.

If you are back in Zurich we are delightful to welcome you again and you can even book your tours directly with us with no extra charge.

Thank you very much again for staying with us and I send you warm regards from Zurich,

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed in Bester Western Hotel Montana in Zurich for 4 nights starting on September 29, 2013. It was a nice stay with very convenient location. It is walking distance to the central train station and many tram stations. They have nice breakfast and comfortable room. We are so glad that we have made right decision of staying here.

Room Tip: Great location
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank T T
Dear T T,

thank you very much for staying with us and I really appreciate your positive review.

I am happy to hear that you made the right decision to stay with us.

It was a pleasure hosting you and I am looking forward to your next visit.

Kind regards from Zurich,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a short walk from Zurich HB which makes it attractive to those planning a short stay in Zurich. I've stayed at the Montana a half a dozen times in the past 4 years but thus might be the last. I was disappointed with the room cleanliness mainly the bad smell in the room. The area has gotten quite seedy and although I wouldn't call it dangerous by any means, it's also not very comfortable walking around late at night. Unfortunately, the hotel has gone downhill in the past couple of years.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Adrian, Michigan
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This retro hotel turned out to be a good value in a city where quality accommodations are hard to find at a decent price. I chose this place because I am a Platinum BW member and the price was hard to pass up. The location near the train station was a plus as I could easily walk there even though as I was not traveling as light with luggage as I may have preferred. It was not too difficult to find with my phone GPS. The hotel exterior blended in with the neighborhood, which was quite typically European. The front door was broken and they were directing people to the restaurant entrance. That was a bit inconvenient but I managed. The lobby was small but neatly kept. The gentleman checking me in was quite friendly and accommodating as were all of the staff with whom I interacted. I was quite impressed with the building appearance and architecture, which seemed very unique. The room was clean and adequately spacious with a decent workspace. The WiFi worked without a hitch through my two-day stay. There were a few decent food options within walking distance. The morning breakfast was fine with coffee, yogurt, fruit, breads and cold meats. They offered bacon and scrambled eggs for hot dishes. I read the previous reviewer's complaints about the neighborhood but coming from the US, I have a different view of what would be considered dangerous. I did not feel in any way unsafe or unsettled. The biggest issue with the neighborhood was the fact that there were noisy conversations in the street that woke me in the middle of the night. That was annoying but hardly the fault of the hotel. In all, I would say this is a good choice for decent-priced accommodations near Zurich Hbf.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

traveling as a couple through 8 cities in europe on business and pleasure right now...this Best Western was by far the worst experience. location is the "wrong side of the tracks" in zurich. though conveniently within 5 minutes walking of the train station, it was suggested we not go further down the street as it is rowdy and drug ridden. but why go that far for the fun, when right outside the door of the hotel after dropping our bags, three policemen were detaining a man for drugs...welcome to zurich! the front door of the hotel wasn't working so we had to enter through the restaurant, which only served a breakfast which was lacking in any kind of acceptable presentation. since the housekeeping service had gone home for the day (at 15:00!) there was no available iron to prepare clothing for a monday morning meeting. the room was minimal with incredibly old and so threadbare it appeared dingy and sitting on it was not an option. staff was friendly. shower was warm. not worth the swiss francs paid for it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sdpty,

thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

I would like to apologise for the bad experience you had during your stay with us.

Unfortunately like in every city the area around the main station area is under police surveillance and once in a while they examine people in this area. I am really sorry that you were witness of one of those actions, but it shows that you do not have to worry about the security around the Hotel.

We already improved and changed the setup of our breakfast buffet and I would be more than happy, if you give us the chance, that we can prove this to you.

I hope you still enjoyed your travel around Europe and remain with kind regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at this property for one night - Saturday, September 28 - because we had an early flight to the U.S. the next day.
The property is close to the main train station and very easy to find. The location is good for those who prefer to stay in Zurich rather than an airport hotel and the airport is just 10 minutes or less on the train. Its also a 10 -15 minutes walk to downtown Zurich and the old city.
The staff were helpful and friendly and the rooms fairly large for Europe. We had 2 triple rooms and the beds were comfortable and linens crisp and clean. The bathroom was large, and the room had windows providing ventilation and light. Room 515 on the top floor was particularly cheerful as it was almost like having a sun roof because of the sloping windows.

Breakfast was adequate with both hot and cold dishes - boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, toast, cheese, jellies etc.

The only problem was the noise around the hotel but it is near the train station so that is to be expected, and not something that the hotel can be held responsible for.
Overall we had a great stay here and would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nades04
Dear Nades04,

thank you very much for your positive review.

It was a pleasure to be part of your travel throughout Switzerland and I am
happy that you had such a great experience at our hotel.

I hope you consider us the next time again and I remain with warm regards
from Zurich.

Sydney
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. It is a short walk from the station but there is no train noise. Staff were friendly and helpful and the room was well equipped and comfortable. Breakfast is OK but when the egg dish runs out there is no more!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ladygolfer19,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I really appreciate your comments about the room and our staff. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are more than happy to welcome you soon again.

Kind regards from Zurich,