“Short leisure break in Zurich”
Review of Hotel Montana

Hotel Montana
Ranked #48 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is centrally located and perfect if arriving in the city by train, as it's just around the corner. A couple of bars close by, but only a 5 minute stroll and your right in the thick of it. The room we had 521 was very spacious with a refurbished bathroom which was excellent. Even had BBC & ITV channels of the tv.
We opted for B&B and the breakfasts were very good, served in the lovely restaurant. Nice for b'fast but not sure about it as an evening dining area! Staff very friendly and helpful. I had noticed some reviews just before we visited about it being very hot as no air-con. The temperature's were ok when we visited Zurich and the room & corridor's were very warm, so I can imagine during hot spells it could become quite uncomfortable. We enjoyed our stay here and would consider again(outwith very hot weather)and it was priced very well given it's very central location

Room Tip: Room 512 was ace
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The Staff was friendly, the breakfast was good and the room is great as well. Really central and close to the city center and shopping. The only annoying thing was the slow elevator, since there was only one for the entire hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I have just left Zurich after a 6 night stay in the Hotel Montana. I have no complaints, yes there was no air conditioning but I knew that before I booked and yes the rooms are on the smallish side but as I was out seeing the sights and not living in my room that wasn't an issue. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and the hotel was always spotlessly clean. The breakfast was delicious and a great start to each day. The location is fantastic and a 5 minute walk to the train station or a 2 minute walk to the bus depot where all sightseeing tours leave from. If I am ever lucky enough to return to Zurich again I wouldn't look past this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I did not realize there was no air conditioning until I read these reviews. Lucky for me it was not too hot - and I had an excellent stay.

I thought with location, room size, comfortableness of bed, and friendliness of staff made it a great value for an very expensive city.

I love how it is a five minute walk to train station because I was easily able to get in and out of the city, (And a 22 min trip to airport.)

I would stay here again for sure, after I check the weather.

Room Tip: book directly on the hotel montana site and get a 10% discount
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mallowmars
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Hotel Montana has the best reception personnel, we especially liked the cheery and helpful Marco. However, the rooms are hot and to cool them one must open the windows to the noisy street and city sounds. Sleep is impossible. The bathrooms are updated but not well maintained (light bulbs out, tubs don't drain) and the furnishings are old, scratched, stained and marked. A complete update is needed. The breakfasts are great, especially the croissants, eggs and coffee.

Room Tip: Reserve a room only in the cooler months, the rooms are too hot in the warm months.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 18LindaH18
Wiebke K, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Montana, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear 18LindaH18,

thank you very much for your valuable Feedback.

I really appreciate your comments about the reception staff, especially Marco, and I will pass it on to him.

Unfortunately we do not have an air condition and due the fact that we are located conveniently in the City centre, there is sometimes some noise during the night. I am really sorry to hear that you could not get sleep during the night due to the open window.

We will do our best to improve on your mentioned maintenance issues.

I would be more than happy to welcome you personally again, to prove that we can do better.

Kind regards from Zurich,

Wiebke Kuhlmei

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The staff were excellent, very polite, attentive and helpful. The breakfast was satisfctory. The room was clean, but the furniture was worn and dated. Major problem: NO AIR CONDITIONING. Opening the windows was of no value because of the outside noise coming from the bars, street traffic and nearby train station at night. The outside noise did not quiet down each night until about 3:00 a.m. I was exhausted all day long from the lack of adequate sleep at night. Nothing can make up for exhaustion due to lack of sleep. I was like a zombie during the day. The the bed ws so uncomfortable that my back hurt every morning. Just saying.

Room Tip: Make sure you select a hotel with air conditioning if you are staying during the summer.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Karen G
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Economic hotel option for a short stay. Located close to the station (2 stops by bus) it is placed in old town of Zurich. Good and friendly staff, clean and neat rooms, and good breakfast spread. It’s a good option in a city like Zurich where quality accommodations are hard to find at a decent price. The only drawback was the noise around the hotel but it is near the train station and unlike Interlaken (countryside) we were in a city of Zurich. The restaurant downstairs was also pretty ok although a bit slow in service at night. I don’t recollect if one of the days was Friday / Saturday night but the place was jammed with a bunch of people partying and it was a good change from our previous quiet hotel stays :)Not a bad option at all. We stayed here in 2012 and not 2013.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple