“Simple, affordable and convenient”

Mercure Stoller Zurich
Ranked #52 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Cape Town
“Simple, affordable and convenient”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We searched high and low for an overnight hotel in Zurich that was affordable and didn't look like it was 20 years out of date or situated in a dodgy part of town. It was quite a search and we were pleased with what we found!
The Mercure Stoller is a functional but completely adequate hotel and we had a good experience. The rooms are small but modern with all the expected conveniences. As previous reviewers noted, there is a capsule coffee maker which to my delight also made tea! The purple bathroom is fun and has a small TV - unfortunately ours didn't work but we were not in the room for long. There is a small balcony attached to the room which is nice for fresh air, but because we faced the back courtyard, the view wasn't particularly picturesque! The sleep quality was great with the beds being comfy and the rear facing location making it pleasantly peaceful.
We had no issue with the staff - they were friendly and efficient and stored our bags for us until check in time without complaint.
The hotel is very conveniently located near a tram stop into the centre and the 10 min ride really didn't bother us at all. The square close to the hotel has a few simple dining options if you don't want to travel - we ate at the Turkish restaurant opposite which was reasonable and tasty. On the corner of the hotel block, close to the tram is a wonderful cake and pastry shop. Grab your breakfast here if you don't want to eat at the hotel.
This is not the kind of hotel that provides personalised service, pretty lounges and lots of restaurants, but for what we needed they were just right.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rollingstone2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wheeling, Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Literally a few steps to the tram ride. Walking out from the hotel to your right is the tram. Hotel is nice and clean, very comfortable with very helpful staff...They have hotel slippers and big bathrobes, nice touch!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jgomichalek
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was very surprised that this hotel wasn't alot more expensive. The only downside is the ~15 minute tram ride to get to the city center. Location isn't great but far from bad. Parking spaces are very limited but good if you get one, right outside the hotel lobby. The room was extremely Clean, big enough for two people comfortably and had a nice bed and good bathroom. Well equipped with a capsule coffee machine as well. The staff was nice and the overall feeling was that Everything was Clean and new and that the hotel lived up to a very high standard.
I would definately choose this Place if visiting Zürich again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allsignaturestaken
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Location is very good being right near a main Tram stop complete with ticket/tourist office.
Room was clean and comfortable beds. Size of the rooms (and I used 2) was compact without being cramped. Best 'Prefab' shower/bathroom setup I have seen!
Front desk staff were a mixed bag. One young fellow (Ernst) was a credit to himself and the company - Mercure would lose an excellent staff member if they were ever let him go. He was always welcoming with a smile and keen to help in any way he could. The same could not be said for the other unfriendly sourpusses that worked there. I almost felt like an intruder whenever they deigned to pay attention to me.
The breakfast (which is NOT included) is quite expensive but I did have it each morning just for the convenience. It was very good quality at least and the attendant there was always pleasant as well.
If you stay here you will be satisfied I think but don't expect much more. If it wasn't for Ernst I would have gone a lower rating. Oh and they have this thing called a 'early arrival' charge. So even if a room is available you have to pay extra if you want to go in it! This kind of rort should be done away with, I certainly dont feel warmly towards a hotel chain trying that one on.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Aeger
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in April. Rooms are well equipped including a coffee machine - this is nice when a coffee is at least €4! I think the rooms have been newly renovated.
Couple of strange things - checking in was drawn out with a lot of paperwork and he wanted to put 220 Swiss Francs (€200) on my credit card as a "reservation" just incase i decided to eat in the restaurant or something!!!! I DONT THINK SO BUDDY!!! I paid the city tax upfront but he wasn't happy. Then when i asked him about tours and could they help book them for me they said no - they dont do this and directed me back to the train station from where I'd just come! (Side note - the tourist office at the station is excellent - look at getting the ZurichCARD which will give you free transport and entry to a heap
of sites. You can get 24 or 72 hour cards).
The hotel is on the outskirts of the city but the tram stop is right at the door. There doesn't seem to be that much in the surrounding area.
I dont think I'd stay here again if I returned to Zurich.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank sallysteer
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Mercure Stoller is right next to a Tram stop with plenty of amenities nearby including Mini Mart, Bakery / Tea Shop, Restaurants and Take - Away outlets.

Rooms are very clean and comfortable, average size but rather cramped. Coffee machines in the room but no choice of beverages at all. Very pricey for little value.

Service was a real let down - the man at the desk didn't seem pleased to see us, was rather curt and abrupt. We were told check in time is 3pm and we are early whereas our booking confirmation and Information brochure in the rooms specify 2pm.

Further the man asked for my credit card and was about to charge it for a deposit without the decency to ask me first. I have read another review which stated this same experience.

No hot water in the rooms, we cannot request for it at either (charge of Fr. 5) - rather we have to go down to the restaurant each time to be given a small jug.

Overall it was a most unpleasant and unfriendly stay. Being new to the region, all the other European hotels were so friendly, helpful and welcoming but Mercure Stoller was a shameful let down with a big price tag.

• Stayed April 2014