“Character hotel in the centre of Zurich, good for a business stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Storchen Zurich

Storchen Zurich
Ranked #5 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
London
“Character hotel in the centre of Zurich, good for a business stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is a character hotel perfectly situated in the heart of Zurich. The quality is very high although in a traditional way. The rooms while comfortable have been refurbished to an OK standard but were small and creaky (headboards loose), bathrooms infeasibly small. The terraces on the 1st and ground floors are fantastic and will be busy in the summer months.Breakfast was OK and a good standard but not the best I have experienced - a small buffet choice and service, while prompt was devoid of any warmth from the staff. This hotel should have been wonderful and my experience was OK, certainly I would return but without expectations of being taken care of particularly well - for business it was fine however.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SNRinLondon
StorchenZurich, General Manager at Storchen Zurich, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest

thank you very much for your kind rating and your ciritical points we take very serious. It shows that every single day we have to perform at our best. Of course as a very traditional Hotel and being under protection we have different sized rooms and have our limits to improve architectual issues. Nevertheless our services have to top the expectations and so we will continue to work on that.

We wish you all the best and look Forward to welcomeing you again in the Storchen.

Joerg Arnold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is one of those hotels which takes you back in time - to the 50s or 60s. Everything is old style - the heavy room key, the decor, the service style. Nice - especially since it is immaculate condition and technically updated. I have eaten there several times - and this was my first stay.

However, I had some glitches:

- the single rooms have really annoying small bathrooms. The door doesn't even open properly - it's wedged between the toilet and the basin.
- this may sound an odd negative, but when I contacted them by email for my reservation because of a specific query, they offered me a better rates (unprompted) than their website. Nice you would think. Actually, a bit frustrating. I am not used to haggling in Switzerland - the price is the price (and they aren't low). Somehow annoying to know you need to get in touch to get a more reasonable rate.
- what I had asked for when booking (hence the email), was a possibility to have some breakfast for an early departure at 5.45am (breakfast room opens at 6.15). I was assured that this was possible, and told at check-in that it was all organised to be in reception the following morning. But it wasn't - and the night receptionist didn't really care. Frustrating since it was part of the booking. And - unlike most Swiss hotels of a decent standard - there are not even coffee machines in the bedrooms to grab an espresso.

However, as everyone says, the location is perfect, bed very comfortable, the regular staff charming and the Rotisserie restaurant is delicious (although some of the waiting staff were a bit haphazard). All very old school. But not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank JT14
StorchenZurich, Geschäftsführer at Storchen Zurich, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest

thank you very much for your serious and critical Rating. It is through Feedback of you that we are able to find out about things we can improve on. That we offered you a better rate on the phone is because there was an opening for a lower category of rooms.

That we missed the very early breakfast (05h45) was definitely a terrible mistake which i sincerely apologize. This way we found out there is a lack in our organisation as this appears not very often. So we are very grateful and adapted right away our Service. Unfortunately this is too late for you but we hope to be able to welcome you soon again to show that we take the critics very serious.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Perfectly located, away from the main stream but so close to it, facing the river with the geese and the ducks and the lively old town on the other shore. The restaurant and the club room are classics that are hard to see anywhere else, and the street-bar at the entrance is a blessing before you return to your room.
The place has been refurbished some 2-3 years ago, so the rooms are well equipped and well decorated. The classical understatement throughout the house makes you feel so really comfortable.
The restaurant where they serve superb food in the evening is a very opulent breakfast room in the morning and about the service I can find only praising word.

Hotel Storchen is my favorite place in Zurich.
Hotel Storchen is my favorite place to stay in Zurich.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ordek
StorchenZurich, Geschäftsführer at Storchen Zurich, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest

thank you very much for your professional and motivating rating.

We look forward to welcomeing you soon again in the Storchen.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I use to stay at Zum Storchen for many years, and every time I'm happy to be back here.
Last time I stayed there on 13-14 of March, everything was excellent, as usual, but this time I caused and witnessed a rescue operation.
My wife wanted to make photos of Limmat river through the hotel window, and she dropped the lens hood down on a tent below the window.
We called to Consierge and he managed to save it!
So many thanks, we'll be back!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Andy_from_the_cold
Dear Guest

thank you very much for your kind rating and we are happy to see that we were able to make your stay a pleasant one.

We look forward to welcomeing you soon again in Zurich.

Enjoy a wonderful spring.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I have known and used this hotel all my life several times.
Its main atraction ( in the luxury hotel cathegory ) is its location. Just 100 meters from the pretty old town but away from its noise and facing the river. Its location is romantic, practical and very convenient for mixing business with some pleasure.
The rooms have always been a little small but the junior Suites are OK. Bathrooms and decoration has been entirely renovated to present convenience and taste. Our bathroom had a bathtub, separate shower cabin and marble floor and vanitories.
WIFI worked very well.
It has a general classical style with the quintessential Swiss understatement for luxury. You will not find shining brass and polished marble in every corner covered by colorfull silk drapings all of which are so frecquent today in some hotels who cater to "new moneyed travellers".
The Zum Storchen provides classic luxury with taste and nothing kitsch.
The restaurant with its view on the river serves excelent international fare in a typical Swiss environment.
The staff is perfectly trained to provide a service which could not be better.
Over the years I hace opted to alternate this hotel with the Baur au Lac, the latter beeing more grand. In summer the Baur au Lac provides a great location too, in winter I prefer the Zum Storchen.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank guillermohoter
Dear Guest

thank you very much for your kind and professional rating and it is great to see that we had the possibility to convince you of our services.

We wish you a fantastic and joyful spring and look forward to welcomeing you soon again in the Storchen.

Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

First time we have stayed in the old town of Zurich and we were very pleased with the choice. We travelled with our 2 daughters and booked 2 rooms at the Storchen and were upgraded to river facing rooms on arrival for a 5 night stay. The rooms were lovely, both a good size, beautifully decorated, plenty of windows opening out over the river, ample cupboard space, beds were comfortable and adjustable for back up or feet up or both. Our bathroom was a fair size, 2 basins and shower over bath tub. If I could change anything it would be to have had a separate shower in our bathroom, the second room we had was a shower only in a very small bathroom.
The staff is very attentive, fruit is placed in the rooms daily, bottled water available at the lift at all times, shoe cleaning machines to have a quick polish on your way out. It has everything.
Breakfast was in their restaurant dining room which has lovely big windows looking over and up the river. Their breakfast is quite a small affair, I do not think the kitchen is working so breakfast is run by the morning wait staff. A good range of juices, bread and pastries, cereal, fruit, yoghurts, cheese, meats, etc but the cooked breakfast came out in very small quantities. Eggs one could order but if there was an influx of people in for breakfast, bacon, sausages etc would run out as well as some of the more popular pastries. I think they need to ramp up their breakfast when the hotel is busy.
The Rôtisserie restaurant is excellent. We booked and ate our Christmas dinner here and it was superb. One needs to sample the restaurants all around old town but eat at least one in this lovely restaurant.
The coffee shop downstairs is also very good and is very popular so can be quite difficult to find a table. Definitely go in and have a coffee with a Storchen torte. You will not be disappointed.
We will never stay at another hotel in Zurich again! The Storchen is in the absolutely best position in Zurich and is a lovely hotel. It may not be the ‘best’ hotel we have ever stayed in but it cannot be beaten for position and ambiance. We love The Storchen!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank fordaleDoha
joergarnold, General Manager at Storchen Zurich, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Guest

Wow that is great motivation for my staff and i would like to thank you sincerely for your kind rating. A well travelled person giving us so much credit is fantastic and shows us that we are on the right track, which never stops to give our best.

We wish you and your family all the best and hope to see you soon again.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I'm only half way through my stay, but wanted to write review before I got lazy when home :-)

From the booking process, via email with anja and then Franziska. Both quich to respond, very pleasant and accommodating , managing to get me a river facing room, which I very much appreciate. Check in seamless and less than 5 min.

Room delightful , bed awesome !! Gorgeous view. All in all I'm just delighted .

Breakfast nice, service good

I'm very happy that I chose the storchen out of the maize of good hotels on trip advisor. Fantastic area, 2 min walk tops to a gorgeous Italian restaurant brinella and of course lets not forget the hotels own restaurant , just magnificent !,

I'll defiantly be back !,

Room Tip: See if you're lucky enough to get a river facing room