All reviewsold townthe ground floorgreat locationwalking distance to everythingsmall hotelroom keybreakfast buffetgood sizelaketramkeys
Reviewed 15 April 2011

This place is a small boutiqe in a great location. The rooms are extremely small, even for European/Boutique standards. The internet does not work in most rooms, which is problematic for business guests. There is no gym, but breakfast is included. The most serious/frusterating issue is that our booking was misrecorded at reception as being one day longer than our actual stay. When we went to check out they accused us of booking this extra night (which we did not) and told us that we must pay for it. They refused to remove the extra night from our bills. We felt seriously taken advantage of and were forced to pay for a night that we did not book. Usually when you check-in at a hotel they confirm what night you are checking out. They did not do this at this hotel. So beware! Check how many nights they have you booked for and demand a record of this when you check-in or you may be unjustly forced to pay extra.
The sad thing is we have had many company people stay at the hotel over the years and have spent thousands of dollars. Now, for a few extra bucks, they will lose all business from us.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank BusinessTravel02
Reviewed 30 March 2011

This is a nice modern hotel, but with some extra heart and soul and creative touches to it. I really liked the way an individual artist had been invited to provide the artwork for each room. Upon arriving at your room you are greeted by a photo of the artist who had contributed to your room, it gives the place a nice "boutique" feel.

My room was on the top floor and had some very nice old beams in it. I spied the rooms nearby with the roof terraces, they looked very nice to stay in too.

Maggie downstairs in the reception/bar area was really warm, friendly, professional and helpful. The breakfast offered was ok (nothing special or exciting). I didn't hear a peep of noise from the very small bar below the hotel.

The hotel is very well located near the river, next to the shops, nearby the old town, and also very convenient to the train station (I just walked from the train station to the hotel with my suitcase, no problem).

The only thing that could be improved in the room is the shower - they really need to put a screen on it as it's impossible not to splash a bit of water out.

The thai restaurant nextdoor does indeed offer very good food (the fact that it is packed out each night is testament to that!). Another one of my favourite restaurants in Zurich is Terrasse, particularly in the summertime when you can have a drink and dine outside in the sunshine under the grand old trees on their...you guessed it...garden terrace. This is a few blocks stroll from the hotel.

This hotel is very good quality and value for Zurich and I would highly recommend it either for business or for pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Miss_Nic_7
Reviewed 28 March 2011

This small hotel located in the center of Zürich is a very good choice if you are looking for nice accommodation at reasonable price. The room we got was modern, clean and large enough. Breakfast was also good. The only letdown was the internet access. The hotel offers complimentary access, but it is very unstable and did not work well at all while we were there. I assume it must be easy to fix.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I stayed one night in the Altstadt Hotel in the old town. Downstairs is a small cafe that includes the reception desk. First floor is a breakfast room. Lifts and stairs to 3 more floors of rooms. I had the 'roof terrace' room on the fifth floor. Vaulted ceiling, small bathroom with toilet and shower, bed and a couple of contemporary chairs. Inside the room is stairs that lead to a private roof terrace with views over the rooftops, the river and churches. Very clean room. Excellent breakfast, I had on the roof terrace. I would have given 5 stars if there was very high-speed WiFi (no signal at the top, only plug-in), morning English newspapers and having a 'do not disturb' sign for the door (?)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank JohnSpeed
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Excellent location and what a great little hotel! in the centre of the old city of Zurich this hotel was so easy to find / get to via Tram once we caught the Train from the Airport to the main station. Great staff and very friendly, always happy to help with any questions and point us in the direction of 'must see's' in Zurich. Good breakfast and a nice bar downstairs with plenty of restaurants / bars around the area aswell. Only downside was that rooms can be a tad small but still decent!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family