“Excellent Stay”

ibis Zurich Messe Airport
Ranked #73 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I chose this place since I wanted a cheap place to stay before I flew from Zurich airport. This place has to be the best deal in Zurich. The room was nice. The downstairs meeting area was very inviting. The wi-fi worked well. I also liked that we got a free ride to the airport . If you want to check out the city area, you definitely have to take the tram. This hotel is out there. It was across the street from a good pizzeria though. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night between my flight into Zurich and further travel. There's a convenient free shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel leaving every half an hour from a stop in front of terminal B (look for "hotel buses" sign). I was in a single room, it was nice, clean and well-appointed with all the expected amenities (no tea-making facilities, though). Bathroom was small but functional. There was free WiFi access in the lobby (cards with passwords at reception).

I did not get breakfast, because I thought that for 15 franks it was overpriced. Little did I know about prices in Zurich. In fact, in Zurich this price is not bad at all.

The hotel is conveniently connected to the airport, but is quite remote from the city center. To get there one would have to take a bus to Oerlikon station (3 or 4 stops), and then S-bahn from there into the city.

I'd say this hotel is ideal for an overnight stay between flights, but as a base to explore Zurich it is a questionable choice due to its remote location.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Stayed at the ibis Zurich Messe-Airport to catch a flight the next morning. Very helpful bus service of the ibis hotel from/to the airport, going every 30 minutes (was punctual in both cases for me), though I would recommend checking the times for late/early trips. Just a couple of minutes' walk away from tram and train stations, with lines going to the city center or the airport. While I would definitely recommend this hotel for reaching the airport and visits to the Messe, as well as for people interested in the Oerlikon zone (nice surroundings), it is further away from the city center than other hotels (e.g. the ibis City West).
Staff was very helpful, checking in and out quickly, free wifi in the lobby is cool, and sleep quality was very good (no sounds from plans or cars in the room).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was perhaps our worst experience in Switzerland.

Me and my wife had booked this hotel assuming that the hotel is close to the airport and they provide free airport transfers. We were to reach Zurich from Wengen late in the evening and depart by the next morning flight. Just to make sure that the hotel doesn't cancel our reservation since we were reaching late, we had called them up twice and told them that we will reach only after 11 p.m.

On reaching the airport we found that the last airport transfer bus was at 11.30 p.m. and we had missed it by a few mins. We called up the hotel and they simply said that we can either take a cab or cancel the booking. We found this response very cold as we had no other option. The cab to the hotel costed us Euro 35.

The hotel room was average given the price and the breakfast was very basic.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2011

A lovely hotel with free transportation to and from the airport. Rooms are good with TV but limited channels in English. Only CNN as a main news channel no BBC WORLD. There is no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, which, for me was a great disappointment, otherwise a good hotel with friendly and helpful staff who do genuinely want to help with whatever your request is.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2011

we stayed here for a Mark Knopfler concert. it took them 25 minutes to check us in which seemed far too long. The rooms are standard and adequate. the staff at the bar and the restuarant were very good indeed and the food of a better quality than we expected so well done. pleasantly recognised on our return from the concert and enjoyed numerous nightcaps with the lovely waitress that looked after us. get the check in sorted and you have a better than average offer.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Went a few times to that hotel for business and it checked all the important point for me:
Easy access when renting a car from Zurich airport
Close to the motorway
Working WIfi
Parking reserved for the hotel
modern refurbished rooms
quick check in and out

It still is just an Ibis so no thrill should be expected regarding service, facilities and amenities but in teh price range and star rating of an Ibis, this one is one of the good to very good ones. The roomis of decent size and the bathroom (particularly teh showe) is bigger than other basic Ibis. I wouldn't recomend for holiday but i would recomend for business people needing easy and quick comute to the exhibition center and airport.

I would however have to agree with other reviewers regarding the price of that hotel. It is pricey and teh value for money os not optimal. On the other hand the hospitality industry in Switzerland is generally pretty expensive. So no surprise there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business