Alden Suite Hotel Splugenschloss Zurich
US$525
US$434
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Bristol Hotel Zurich(Zurich)(Great Value!)
US$160
  • Pool
US$310
US$298
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsold townboutique hotelminute walkgorgeous hotelliving arealittle touchesbaur au lactwo blocksquiet areashopping areaan upgradetrain stationlakebahnhofstrasseluxuryswitzerlandtoiletries
Reviewed 24 January 2010

A great recently renewed hotel were obviously everybody makes his best (and succeeds!) to please the client. The room was large and very comfortable, the breakfast was excellent and quickly served.The location is ideal to do business in the centre or to enjoy some tourism in the heart of Zurich. We have not try the restaurant but we will next time!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We received all the service you would expect from a hotel of this caliber, the staff was very attentive and helped us with every question or problem we experienced; both aptly and quickly. The hotel is quite small with 20-so suites. We stayed in the days between Christmas and New Years and even though we were far from alone at the hotel it often seemed like the staff was only there for us. We met a few other couples both from the US and from Europe.

Rooms were spacious and in very good order. Rooms have high speed internet in the living rooms but this requires a cable (which front desk gladly sends up to you) there is also wireless access in the rooms (and probably bar/restaurant too) but this comes with a small fee. The in-house restaurant was very good and was happy to introduced us to swiss wine (which is hard to find in Northern Europe).

The Hotel is not in the city center but quite close. Just a block away is a nice lakeside park which you can stroll into lower downtown through. Otherwise central downtown (Paradenplatz, Storchengasse) is either a short walk or a quick two stop tram ride away.

We will visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We have stayed in all of the top hotels in Zurich over the past several years, paid very high prices and in most cases got what we paid for, but at the Alden Hotel Splugenschloss, our wonderful room, the attentive staff, the lovely free breakfast and the handy location far exceeded what we paid. When we arrived, we were greeted by Caroline, a treasure and a gem. She set the tone for our entire visit and was charming every time we encountered her. We booked the least expensive room, since we were not sure what to expect. To our utter surprise, the room was absolutely wonderful! I was traveling with my two 20-something daughters and we were perfectly prepared to share a bedroom and a bathroom. What a happy surprise to discover that our room included a powder room (as well as the most roomy, modern, decadent master bath that you can imagine), and a living room (with a lovely balcony), with a sofa that turned into a very comfortable bed! The little mini-fridge was filled with candy and soft drinks, which we were free to take at no extra charge. They were replenished daily. Anyone who has slept in a 5 star hotel in Zurich knows how fantastic the beds are. The Alden Hotel is no exception. The beds were like clouds and the linens were heavenly, and don't even get me started on those plump feather pillows! There were two in-room safes, a towel warmer in the bathroom and flat screen t.v.'s in both the bedroom and living room. There is high speed internet which is not free. We walked to the old town in about 15 minutes, a charming walk along the lake. Breakfast every morning was included. This was a really lovely buffet which included smoked salmon, several kinds of cold meats and cheeses, all kinds of bread and rolls, marvelously ripe fruit (where did they get it in the dead of winter?!), as well as some other items. You could also order eggs any way you like them with bacon, sausage, etc., etc. There was coffee and fresh fruit juices, etc. The dining room was a lovely, peaceful place to enjoy this delicious repast. If you require a fancy spa and a huge lobby and a cookie cutter hotel in any way, the Alden is not for you. If you like to feel instantly as if you have come home the moment you step into a hotel, if you like that the staff is warm and friendly and helpful and charming, if you need lots of space in a bathroom and a bedroom, if you like your breakfast elegant and delicious, and if for a change you would like to feel as if you are getting a lot for the money, this is the hotel at which to stay. We cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2010

First tis is a delicious hotel. And a warm hospitality. With thanks for the upgrade.
Beautiful fine chamber. (3D) superb bath chamber. I took some photograph and will do made and this way something I at
my bathroom rebuilding also, nice inspiration. Breakfast top, relaxed and very well! Special newspapers service
also a lot appreciated. Internet (free) on the chamber, verry good!. Also the free drinks on the room, good thing! (First you have a delicious hotel. And a warm hospitality. With thanks for the upgrade.
also a lot appreciated. Internet (free) on the chamber, verry good!. Also the drinks on the room, good thing! First you have a delicious hotel. And a warm hospitality. With thanks for the upgrade.
The return trip went very well here and there a firm snowstorm but thanks well arrived.
And also thany you fort the snacks en drink bag, verry nice!!
In short if I come ever in Zurich then it definitely ALDEN are!

regards,First you have a delicious hotel. And a warm hospitality. With thanks for the upgrade.
also a lot appreciated. Internet (free) on the chamber, verry good!. Also the drinks on the room, good thing! ( nonalcoholic)
And also thany you for the snacks en drink bag, verry nice!! The return trip by car.
In short if I come ever in Zurich then it definitely ALDEN are!

regards,
fred

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2009

Lets get the bad news out of the way first, this hotel is in Zurich and in all honesty there is not a lot there for people taking a leisure break.

Now onto the Alden. This is possibly the best hotel we have ever stayed in. There are several things you need to make such a statement, the first is an aesthetically pleasing exterior and interior, quality rooms well maintained and clean, good location, well prepared and good quality food and lastly staff who understand customer service. In respect of the last point the one person who set this hotel apart was Rachel. It is so difficult to find someone who you feel genuinely understands customer service and not only did Rachel attend to all our needs she also managed to get someone to go out and get my wife some medicine as well as getting our train tickets for our trip to Zermatt.

Our room was superb (2b) which had a bath, shower and the best toilet I have ever been on. It had its own integrated bidet which washes you after you have finished. Worth going to the hotel just for this (although it is a shock the first time it happens). The bed was very comfortable and we had a drawing room with a huge table (which became our dressing table), mini bar, snacks, sofa and small balcony. In addition we had an entrance hall with coat stand and umbrella.

The breakfast was excellent, it did not have the wide range you would expect from a large hotel but as this is a boutique hotel it was just right. It includes cereal, pastries (very tasty), croissants, cured meats, cheese, yoghurt, juices and most importantly Laurent Perrier Champagne which always goes down well in the mornings.

There is a library in the hotel but unless you speak (or more appropriately read) German there is not a lot there for the none native speaking people.

My wife was ill during our two day stay and so we decided to eat dinner at the Alden. Firstly the food was excellent, my wife had a steak and I had a risotto and both were very tasty and worthy of a top quality restaurant anywhere in the world. The only critism I would have is that there was no option for a glass of wine which would have gone down well with the risotto. Lastly the meal was expensive at £60 for the food above plus a bottle of water and a coke. It was not more expensive than the rest of Switzerland but just compared to London prices.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it is pretty, well staffed, good food and located within a 10 minute walk from the city centre. If you could pick up this hotel and put it somewhere else I would go back again and again but as I never intend to go to Zurich again I am sad to say I will not be going back.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple