“Excellent stay”

Ranked #39 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
England
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed on the weekend of the Ironman Triathlon, and were thoroughly impressed with this hotel. A great location, very close to the station, a tram stop on the doorstep, and within walking distance of both the old town and the shopping district. The rooms were nicely appointed and spotlessly clean, it wasn't particularly hot when we were there, but we did take advantage of the fans provided. Breakfast was very good, you could certainly fill up for the day :)
A special word for ALL the reception staff, very helpful and friendly in every regard. If we return to Zurich in the future we would have no hesitation in stopping here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Tyke9.

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I'm very proud of my team and what they accomplished in the last two years. Cleaning the rooms is the hardest work in a hotel and I'm even more happy that our chamber maids get comments like yours. I will definitely share your review with the entire team.
I wish you all the best and let me know if you need a room for next years iron man.

Kurt Wodiczka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Close to the train station and next to a tram station. Decent location, not very noisy. The room was quite clean. The lady at the reception was quite helpful on our first day. Breakfast was included and it wasn't bad. The third bed in our room /sofa bed, was not very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Pinoruc.

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I apologize that the mattress of the third bed was not as comfortable as the other two beds. I will definitely check that, because we exchanged them altogether and they should be the same standard.
I wish you all the best and hope to see you again at the Walhalla Hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

It's convenient, near to rail, and Great Nice view of the town. Valhalla! Fantastic!I think the price is reasonable in Zurich. Nice river across the Room, Nice view of town, river, old buildings. It's every thing u need to go thru Zurich!

• Stayed August 2014
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Yap_Wai_Kit.

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. The Walhalla Hotel is your Gateway to Switzerland and your Business Hub in Zurich. All local attractions in walking distance and the famous shopping area around the corner.

All the best
Kurz Wodiczka
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just stayed in Wahlhalla hotel with my 18 year old son for 4 days in the middle of July. The only down side to this hotel is the lack of AC and I knew about it when I booked it and thought the temperatures woudl cooperate but unfortunately for us Zurich, for all 4 days was at about 31 deg Celsius and our room on the 5th level was rather hot and sleeping was uncomfortable BUT, despite that I would recommend this hotel to anyone and if I ever come back to Zurich, will most definitely pick this for the following reasons:

1. The staff is beyond friendly and nice, the hotel is a Utopia of intelligent, helpful, proactive, service oriented and absolutely lovely people. One example:
When we were leaving the city, we were flying out at 7:45 AM and were told by Delta airlines to be at the airport 3 hours before. The hotel staff did not just call us a cab at 4:45 but very convicingly explained how this would be too early of a departure and that we should leave no earlier than 5:30, since our breakfast was included in the price and we were leaving before they served it, they packed (proactively, we did not ask for this) a lovely breakfast of croissants, yougurt, fruit, water, etc) to take to the airport. Not only was this a really sweet gesture, but prices in Zurich are shockingly steep and to purchase the same breakfast at the airport would have likely cost us 40CHF...... Needless to say, the advice was completely accurate and we had plenty of time to get to the plane.

At every instance of a question or a request, they met it with fireworks of enthusiasm and intelligence and I was truly wowed by such an overwhelmingly great attitude.

2. The convenience to the train station (which is a mall and a restarunant hub as well) is unbelievable.
3. If you book a bus tour, the meeting spot is right outside the hotel door.
4. Breakfast buffet was amazing with terrific choices of every food. My most favorite two things about it were the mini sunny side up eggs heating up in cute individual egg pans and a lovely selection of cheeses and yogurts, but they likely have something for everyone to love.
5. Our room was not as small as I would have anticipated, there was some room to move around.
6. The fans the hotel provided worked very well for circulation air (it was still hot but of course this was not the hotel's fault).
7. The hotel was immaculately clean and the beds were very comfortable.
8. The hotel was close to any areas of interest in town.
9. This hotel was expensive compared to other cities in Europe but in my extensive research it was reasonable for Zurich and with the price one paid, you got a reasonable deal and including the cost of breakfast (it was included in our price), it made the value of this hotel unbeatable in my opinion.
10. Very pleasant and charming decorum, clearly it has been designed and thought about by professionals with very good taste.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear itrope.

You made my day, week.....month! Thank you very much for this detailed feedback. I printed it out and put it in our staff room. I'm really happy about your comments because it shows me that the location and the building are two important things, but the quality of service makes the difference. It is a great praise for the team and I will definitely make sure that everybody reads your review. We take it as a best practice and continue our vision. Regarding the missing AC I have to admit that there are few days in Zurich where we have some challenges with the temperature in our rooms. Unfortunately the structure of the historic building and some ecological regulations of the local authorities complicate this investment and would lead to an increase of the price in an already expensive city. Our solution for the very short summer period, even if the current temperatures are very low, is a promotional rate on our website. We call it the "2hot promotion" and is valid from July till 10th of August. It includes a discount of 30%. We plan the same promotion already for next year. Please have a look on our website.

Again I thank you for your nice feedback and hope to welcome you again in our beautiful hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in July. Hotel is at a very good location. 5mins to Zurich train station. mins to old town. Right outside the hotel you get the Tram that can you take you to Paradeplatz.

Hotel Staff is very warm and welcoming. Room I stayed in there was nothing great about it. I would say just about OK for the price I paid for it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear ariansumit.

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I'm happy that you enjoyed the warm and welcoming service. Together with the perfect location and a very good price-value ratio (unfortunately Zurich is one of the most expensive, but also the most beautiful city), we offer the right "package" for business traveller's and tourist's. The Walhalla Hotel is your Gateway to Switzerland and your Business Hub in Zurich. I wish you all the best and hope to see you again at the Walhalla Hotel.

Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent one night here. Our room was on the top floor with a pitched ceiling, which gave it a "loft" feel. They had a tray of fruit and bottled water waiting for us upon arrival. One perk was the Samsung tablet with free wifi for us to use. We had two twin beds that were pushed together as they don't offer queen or king. There was no air conditioning, although they had two standing fans in the room which made it comfortable in the beginning of June. The bathroom was also spacious and offered free toiletries.
They did not have a refrigerator in the room which was on gripe. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful in giving directions and dinner recommendations. They even gave us a coupon to one of the local restaurants.
The best part of all was the proximity to the train station. It wasn't too close to hear the trains go by, although you could walk there in 5 minutes. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you're staying in Zurich.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane B
Dear Jane B.

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback. I'm happy that you liked the Comfort Room on the top floor. They are really special and have a romantic atmosphere. In all our rooms we offer free water upon arrival and a water kettle with a selection of tea and coffee. Since April all our Double Rooms are equipped with a Tablet PC. We changed the Guest Directory to the concierge@walhalla. With this unique tool our guests are able to get information about Zurich, Restaurants, Switzerland and much more. You can even order room service with this tablet. So welcome to the Walhalla 2.0!
I wish you all the best and hope to welcome you again at our beautiful hotel.

Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed at the Walhalla Hotel in early June based off what I read from this site, and was not disappointed in the least. The location truly was only 325 steps from the train station, which saved us a world of hassle, and made our 7:00am departure train easier to make. The hotel reception was very accommodating, and they were a delight to work with. I traveled with 4 other students (study abroad trip) and we were researching different organizational communication patterns, so we decided to interview the hotel receptionists. They could not have been nicer about it, giving us a wonderful interview and including all the information we needed. The rooms we stayed in were simple and clean, and the bathrooms were excellent. The breakfast in the morning absolutely surpassed our expectations, and we left feeling happy, rested, and full.
One question for Kurt Wodiczka: What is your hotel's mission statement? We got a sense of your core values as a hotel, which include customer service being a huge priority, but is there anywhere I could find a mission statement?
Thank you so much!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Kurt_Wodiczka, Manager at Walhalla Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Delia M.
First of all thank you very much for your excellent review. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you especially mentioned the professional and efficient service. To answer your question, I have to go back a little further. In 2012 we worked together with a consulting agency to analyse the Walhalla Hotel and set up a new positioning. After a change in management we thought we have a chance to reposition the hotel. It does not mean that the former management was not successful, but the entire company (FTM Management 2 Hotels and 2 Restaurants in Zürich) went thru a major change due to the death of the founder Fred Tuscans, a famous person in Swiss hospitality industry. With our new leader the young and innovative granddaughter of Fred Tuscans we thought it might be the right time for new ideas and new inspirations. For sure our main advantage is the location and that's why we first created our new positioning statement: "Walhalla Hotel. Your gateway to Switzerland and your business hub to Zurich"! With this we want to show our competence in having the right product and service for leisure guest's from all over the world and business travellers. As a result to this we created our new website and turned it into a site with an easy booking process and information about Switzerland, Zurich and much more. One of my colleagues gave the perfect input. She said that sometimes she has the feeling to be in a conference of the United Nations when entering the breakfast room. And that is what our business is for: bringing people together and offer them a home away from home, no matter from where they come. Different cultures and different languages at one table. The goal we set for the Walhalla Hotel in Zurich is to be the Top 3* hotel in the city offering a genuine and professional service. Changing the product from a very conservative into a more emotional experience and surprise our guest's with innovation like the concierge@walhalla, a tablet PC in each double room instead of an old school guest directory. A service you maybe expect in a 5* hotel, but you are surprised to get it in a 3* hotel. One very professional person once said: "Success is never final" and this is our goal. To cut a long story short, this is our vision: Offering genuine professional service with innovation in a small boutique style hotel in the heart of Zurich. An international experienced team serves international experienced travellers.
I hope this answers your question and please excuse that the explanation is a bit longer than expected, but it was very important for me to let you know what the Walhalla Hotel is all about. You can contact me anytime via mail or telephone and I hope to welcome you again at our beautiful hotel.

Kurt