“It doesn't get any better than this!”

Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich
Ranked #6 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Vermont
“It doesn't get any better than this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

We arrived at the Schweizerhof after 9 days of being wined and dined by a Scenic Cruise Tours team, so I thought I'd experienced the highest level of hospitality available, but my experiences here were some of the best yet. Our welcome was warm and efficient, our room very spacious and the environmentally friendly feature of turning electricity on and off with room key struck me as innovative. There was delicious fresh fruit available at all times, and the staff was ready to help me in every way possible. I did have a bit of a communication problem with one staff person in the lobby, but it was simply a matter of his English not being especially strong and my German being incredibly weak. We opted for dinner in the hotel since it was a rainy day and we needed time to prepare for the journey home. And speaking of rainy day, they had nice large umbrellas for us to use as we toured the city. The food and wine were outstanding and the entree serving very generous. Being at the end of our trip, my wardrobe was pretty limited and my attire for the evening was neat, clean but very casual. Nevertheless the wait staff treated us like visiting royalty. A truly unique experience...elderberry essence to add to the water. What a delightful flavor! Even though the hotel is situated in a very busy part of the city, with the windows closed the room was virtually silent. Breakfast was available early enough for us to have a relaxing start to a long day traveling back to the US...homemade strawberry jam, croissant, smoked salmon and flavorful cheeses...and checkout was handled efficiently and with a smile. if I ever return to Zurich I certainly hope I can stay here again. And kudos to Scenic Tours for selecting this wonderful 5-star hotel as a part of our trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We have stayed in Zurich in the past but always at one of the airport hotels before flying home at the end of a holiday and had often walked passed the Schweizerhof Hotel when exploring Zurich and always thought about staying there one time.
Well we booked two rooms for two nights at the Schweizerhof Hotel for our short stay in Zurich this time and we were very glad we did!
We were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade for both rooms when we checked in.
All the staff at the check in were very friendly and helpful and the check in was done quickly with little fuss as was our check out when we left.
The rooms are a little on the small size but they have all the amenities you need and are very comfortable and quiet even though the hotel is on a very busy street. We were on the fifth floor so I am not sure how quiet the lower floor rooms would be. The bathrooms were very clean and again with all the amenities you would need. I found the power shower head was wonderful for a relaxing shower after a day out walking the city.
In the evening a member of staff would knock on the door with an offer of some treats like fruit or chocolates etc. which was a nice touch.A fruit bowel was provided on check in which was nice.
Even though the buffet breakfast choice is not as large as at some other hotels we have stayed in everything you would normally want for breakfast is available in the way of hot and cold food and again the staff at breakfast are very friendly and helpful. Importantly the food was always fresh and tasty especially the freshly squeezed orange juice.
The hotel is in a great location and is easily accessible by train (station across the road) or by car/taxi. It is within walking distance of all the shopping and restaurant areas and most importantly there are many chocolate shops very close by!
We really enjoyed our short stay in Zurich and staying at the Schweizerhof Hotel just made our stay that much better. It is a great old style hotel in a great location with wonderful staff and we will definitely be returning there when we visit Zurich again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

The rooms of this hotel are very 80s with strong pastel colors which might appeal to some but if you like more contemporary design this is not the place. The hotel also has a lot of smoking rooms and I was told that there were no non-smoking room unavailable but this changed when I insisted. Service was very friendly at check in and also at the breakfast which was good. To a great extent my experience was ruined by the extremely rude concierge (Andre), this was by far the rudest person that I have ever come across in any hotel let alone a 5 star hotel. The location of the hotel is good opposite the train station but unfortunately this wasn't a good experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Schweizerhof, General Manager at Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear guest

First of all, we thank you for having chosen our HOTEL SCHWEIZERHOF ZÜRICH as your residence during your stay in Zürich and for having taken time to give us this comment on tripadvisor.
Your annotations about your impressions during your stay are very valuable to us. We thank you for your honest feedback and regret that we could not achieve your requirements. The points you raised have been carefully noted for appropriate action with those departments concerned.
I sincerely apologise for the inconveniences you experienced and assure you that our aim is to continually improve our high level of service.
As we already wrote in the email, I sincerely hope that you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves on your next visit to Zurich. I also hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you personally to the HOTEL SCHWEIZERHOF ZÜRICH.

Kind regards
HOTEL SCHWEIZERHOF ZÜRICH

Jörg Rudolf von Rohr
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Booking process was smooth. Martin, the reservation manager provided good information about the kind of rooms the hotel had, along with their pictures, via email. I chose a non-smoking room on a high floor facing the train station. Check-in process was smooth and fast. They upgraded me to a slightly bigger room, which I appreciated.

Hotel location is excellent. If you're like me who loved to explore city on foot, I don't think you can find a better hotel than this one. Train station is in front of the hotel and most of the must-see attractions are within walking distance.

Wifi was free and fast and every afternoon you would get free Lindt chocolate. Breakfast choice was decent. The bed could be tilted upward electronically to make it more comfortable to watch the tv. Pay-per-view movie selection was good.

Check-out process was also fast. Got a nice surprise that since I booked the room via the hotel website, I got a discount of 15 swiss franc per night.

I would definitely choose this hotel again whenever I travel to Zurich.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank joanna07
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in a junior suite. The room was lovely and comfortable. There was a large, well-appointed bathroom with a shower in the tub. Although the shower was one of those handheld ones that I dread seeing, it had very good pressure and was easy to position.

The bedroom was separated from the living area by a heavy drapery which actually did block the majority of noise. The bedding was very nice and there were extra pillows in the closet. Closet space and number of hangers were very good.

There were sufficient and easily accessed plugs for charging everything. There was an electric kettle with tea and coffee. There was also actually a trouser press in one of the closets! Never saw that before.

There was a small balcony with French doors overlooking a side street. On our second night, a Friday, there was a large crowd at a bar with outdoor seating on the side street. They were loud!! I closed the doors and we heard nothing.

We had breakfast one morning at le Soupiere. Excellent service, excellent variety and excellent quality food. It been a long time since I enjoyed breakfast in a restaurant that much. There other morning we had breakfast in our room and it was of equal quality.

This is a lovely old style hotel with excellent amenities and beautiful decor but what sets it apart is the service. We spent nine days touring the alps between our two nights at Hotel Schweizerhof and while we stayed at some lovely hotels, I was looking forward to returning almost as if coming home. The staff is perfectly trained to hit the right balance between friendly and professional and never missed an opportunity to smile. We were offered welcome drinks on arrival and bottles of water and chocolates on departure. There seems to be nothing you can request that they wouldn't be happy to provide, promptly. We will definitely return to this hotel when back in Zurich!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Excaper
Qualicum Beach, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

September 4 and 5th we stayed at this hotel. Upon arrival you were welcomed and given a warm towel and drink. Our experience at the Front desk was welcoming and we were given a upgrade room. The staff were very friendly and helpful.They would welcome you very time you came back and ask how you were. Our room was very nice and clean, as was the hotel itself. It had a nice restaurant. It is a 5 star rating and dollar value $$$$. Now this is where they went beyond the call of duty, as we were looking for a Star Bucks coffee mug and at the time could not find one. On the last day there we happen to return to Star Bucks and they had some, so we bought one and upon returning to the hotel the manager called me over and said she had something for us, but was shocked when she saw that we had been to Star Bucks, as they had gone out of their way to buy us mugs, which I thought was something special to do. Not any hotel would do that for you, but they had.
We were so impressed by what they gone and done.
The location is good and easy access to the city centre.
The stay there was great and we would return there again.

Room Tip: Rooms are a good size and most room in hotel are quite. Upon arrival you could ask if there is a cha...