“Excellent Hotel with fantastic staff”

Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich
Ranked #6 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Scotland
“Excellent Hotel with fantastic staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Staff could not have been better. This small hotel could teach many larger hotels how to do it right. Every member of staff we encountered was pleaseant, helpful and extremely friendly. A great hotel in a very convenient position for the main railway station in Zurich.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JaimeScotland
Schweizerhof, Manager at Hotel Schweizerhof Zurich, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your kind words! We are very proud to read, that you enjoyed our services and that our staff made you feel comfortable. This is indeed the main ingredients for a successful hospitality effort. You can be assured that we will share your comments with all our colleagues.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again!
Kind regards
Andreas Stöckli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Global traveller
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I typically stay away from hotels anywhere near a train station and I've always gone right past this hotel as a result. Agreed to stay here recently and was very pleasantly surprised. Beneath the old school facade it has all the modern conveniences combined with impeccable service. Even the windows are solid enough to block the noise of the trams outside. Definitely will consider it again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Excellent classic hotel, very friendly and helpful staff, complimentary drink during check-in and bottle of water during check-out (lady at reception offered me help with buying ticket to the train even), location can't be more perfect - the hotel places literally 1 minute away from central railway station, ~10 minutes of train ride and you're in Zurich airport. My room was on the second floor with window looking at street and tram stop, but I haven't heard a thing (which is my recurring problem with some hotels in Helsinki), so one shouldn't be afraid that trams or trains will bother ya, they won't. Rooms are perfectly equipped, over 120 TV channels (in many-many languages + radio), free tea and coffee, excellent WiFi etc. etc. etc., I would give 10 out of 10, but there was some strange experience, too.

Before my arrival I've asked via e-mail if I will need adaptor for Swiss sockets and not only I got quick reply, but adaptor was awaiting for me in the room. But: a) it wasn't working (maybe I did something wrong, although I work in electric business and deal with more tricky things than simple adaptor) b) the next morning (and by 'the next morning' I mean 9 hours after my arrival) housemaid took it away causing me to be a little bit confused (during check-out the reception staff was confused as well, since I couldn't give 'em back the device). Complimentary fruits were gone too. I am not sure if I was supposed to eat them all immediately or maybe it was done with some purpose. I've tried to speak to housemaid about both of these matters, but she didn't speak English at all (the other ones who I've dealt with spoke very good English, much better than mine, for sure). Unfortunately the next day almost the same thing happened - after cleaning the room all papers which I left on the table were gone, including copy of my insurance (which I always leave in hotels on the case of emergency), my personal notes written on hotel's notebook, city guide, newspaper and railway timetable. Well, maybe there are some requirements for staff about what to do during cleaning process, but I just hope they'll correct it a little bit. What's on the table - stays on the table till a guest leaves the hotel. If I wanted to threw away my newspaper or timetable - I would've put it in the bin. I know there's a safe, but closing railway timetable in safe is something that I would never think about before. Aside that, no problems at all and if there was any - they've been solved ASAP.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sergey R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were travelling form UK to Venice by train, so the location, directly opposite the railway station was spot on. Checking in was a delight with a drink offered and gladly accepted. Room and beds were comfortable well appointed and had tea and coffee facilities. Chocolate and fruit was in the room. We decided to dine in the restaurant which was quite expensive but a very superior experience. The food and service was wonderful and my wife even had a stool to place her handbag on.

The Butler calling just before bedtime with a trolley full of chocolate was the icing on the cake!

Room Tip: Our room was very good and overlooked the tram and train station so could be a bit of noise but we d...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1bursledon
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Just a wonderful place to stay. Reception has a bit of a weird vibe but the location is fantastic. The rooms are a bit small and the interior room windows open to a strange interior courtyard but if you are in Zurich you will probably spend more time looking at the lakes and mountains rather than staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: People smoke like crazy here so try to stay upwind otherwise you will feel like a chimney
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was looking for a hotel close to the railway station and with a number of hotels in the vicinity with good reviews, the clincher was that all you have to do is email the concierge to request for a hotel porter to assist with luggage at the railway platform When we arrived by train from Geneva, it was a relief to see the porter in the hotel's "signature" red coat.
When we arrived at the hotel reception, we were pleasantly surprised to know that we had been upgraded to a corner room which is more spacious than our booked deluxe room. Hot towel and cold orange juice completed the check-in formalities.
The breakfast in the first-floor restaurant is great and inclusive of cooked egg items.
As our departure flight was to be in the later afternoon, the hotel concierge very kindly assisted to arrange a later check-out at 2pm instead of the usual 12 noon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have stayed here before, and I love it. The customer service is wonderful and the location is very good. The beds are quite comfortable and the showers are good too. Would stay again, and bring my family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business