“Comfortable room, nice breakfast, shame about shower”
Review of Hotel Sunnehus

Hotel Sunnehus
Ranked #102 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Didcot
“Comfortable room, nice breakfast, shame about shower”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I had a nice stay at this hotel which is located very conveniently for ETH and also the ETH tram stop (#10 direct from airport, 30min; you can buy tram tickets at hotel reception), only 2-3 min walk. The rom was comfortable, reasonable bed, flatscreen TV and a very good DAB radio. The bathroom was large and well equipped and pleasant, but the shower was a mixer that needed 2-3 min to warm up. Also, the wall holder for the showerhead is shoulder height (for a tall person) and only stays in the holder if the pressure is kept low; overall, it is inconvenient and a shame as I like to be able to have a relaxing time rather than fiddling with the system. The breakfast was very nice continental with warm boiled eggs also available and good staff service. Overall, a good stay, but could improve the overall experience by replacing the showers.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Robert J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Arzier, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have been staying at Sunnehus several times now, it is my favorite when staying in Zurich. Rates are okay, being located in Zurich, location is excellentand close to ETH. Central station is just a few minutes away (by tram), and maybe 15 minutes on foot. If you come in by plane, you may consider taking tram #10 from the airport, which takes you within 30 mins to the stop just a few yards from the hotel. The lobby serves as library and breakfast room as well, and is decorated with a sense for detail, making you feel you were in a private home. By contrast, the rooms, although clean (of course) and spacious enough, they lack a personal touch and feel a bit sterile. If you get thirsty, don't consider the minibar, the prices may be a bit steep for you. The tap water originates from the pristine glaciers you saw coming in, it is actually that good. Breakfast: don't get me wrong, all I need is a muesli and a coffee in the morning. However, I do expect a little more than what Sunnehus offers. Nibble-sized cheese pieces wrapped in plastic? In Switzerland? Come on... Overall, if they expand the personal touch of the lobby/library to the guestrooms, and they seriously rethink their breakfast policy, they would get 4-5 stars from me.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Gebo18
Bisamberg
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Excellent small hotel in quiet but relatively central position. Nice rooms, good breakfast, efficient service. Pretty good deal for Zurich. Would definitely not try to look for another place in that town.Excellent connection to the airport with tram line 10, with stop (ETH) just around the corner (duration of trip 30 minutes). Railway station can be reached in 5 minutes with the same tram. In short: highly recommendable hotel providing complete satisfaction even for the experienced traveller.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Manfred G
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I stayed here because it is the closest to the ETH Zurich, which I had to visit for work. It is relatively close to the Hauptbahnhof and walkable, although it is up a rather steep hill. My room was very clean and it had cable internet access. I forgot my cable and they lent me one, which was nice. The breakfast was fairly standard with a few types of bread, yoghurt, cheese, cold cuts, cereals, and perhaps dried or stewed fruit if I remember correctly. There are lots of (mainly Italian) restaurants in the area, including one just across the road, so it was easy to find something to eat.

My only quibble was that I had come down with the flu and really wanted a cup of coffee AND a cup of tea with breakfast - NICHT ERLAUBT! I had to choose one or the other. That's Swiss customer service for you.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank WinnieBNewJersey
United States
Reviewed 22 April 2009

The hotel is nicely located within 30sec walking distance to ETH, and 10min walking distance to the center. The room I had was clean, and pleasant. There is a decent continental breakfast from 6:30am (great for a hungry jetlagged traveler that wakes up at 5am). It is a great hotel with nothing to complain about.

Tip: the hotel is walking distance from the central train station, but it is uphill, and if you travel with luggage, I suggest to take tram 6 or 10 to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank brbukh
Columbia, MD
Reviewed 25 October 2007

My husband was giving a talk at ETH (a university in Zurich), and the person organizing the talk booked this hotel for us, because it is very close to their facilities. I looked at reviews here, and their webpage, and thought it looked fine, but I wasn't blown away.

I was very pleasantly surprised. This little hotel is wonderful. The decor is very understated but sophisticated, with a Parisian feel. A blue, yellow and white color scheme soothes but doesn't overwhelm. We were in room 16, on the first floor. The room was not huge, but typical size for a 3-star European hotel in a city. It had an actual queen-sized bed, not 2 twins pushed together, which was nice. We did not have a flat-screen TV, but a little 12". Not an issue, since I didn't even watch it. The bed was very comfortable, with a feather duvet for each of us. Very clever the way they make the beds, we found the same thing in Holland. Our bathroom was a decent size, with a standing shower with no tub (the only disappointment. I like to soak after a long day of sightseeing in the chill). My favorite part of our room was a set of double doors that opened onto a covered balcony outside with a little table and 2 chairs. The weather was a bit chilly when we were there, so we didn't use it, but in warm weather it would be a great little place to hang out. Every part of the hotel that I saw was very clean and nice. The breakfast was delicious (Continental-style), with cereal, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, fruit, salami, various breads and wonderful coffee. They bring a little tray with a tiny coffee pot, and a tiny pot of steamed milk. So cute! It was a great way to start the day.

The hotel is within easy (10 min.) walking distance to the central train station, if you are in good shape and like to walk up and down hills. I found several staircase shortcuts going up the hill, which saved time. For those with mobility issues, you can take the 6 or the 10 trams, which run frequently. There are plenty of hotels at the bottom of the hill, closer to the tourist district. I didn't go into any, but they were larger. They looked nice too.

Zurich is a beautiful city, with a lot to offer. I would love to return, and I would definitely consider staying at the Sunnehus again.

• Liked — Very clean rooms, tasteful decor, delicious morning coffee.
  • Disliked — No bathtub in our particular room.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank travelarc
SF
Reviewed 19 August 2007

We stayed two nights in this hotel and were very happy with our stay. The room was incredibly clean, the bed was comfy and we were surprised to have a flat screen tv hanging on the wall to watch. We were on the top floor, corner room and we think it must have been recently remodeled. Breakfast was consistent with other hotels we stayed in - breads, eggs, cheese and dry cereals. The only downfall was that hotel itself was a bit of a hike uphill from the train station. While we were happy with our room, we noticed some of the other rooms in the hotel were much smaller and not as up to date as ours, with the shower placed in a corner of the room itself.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SF-Traveler01