“Escape from the hostel!!”
Review of Hostel Krone

Hostel Krone
Ranked #34 of 48 Speciality Lodging in Zurich
Italy
“Escape from the hostel!!”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

It was my last possibility for 1 week in Zurich, for work! The price was the cipper in Zurich (very expensive for my budget!), but the quality is the worst! For 78 Francs/day I had to sleep in a room terrble: big as a toilet but withaut toilet; dirty white, but because it was very dirty, including carpet; wood wardrobe, where I would not even put the hiking boots and finally a horrible stench of smoke! Toilets and showers were outside and dawstairs...also very dirty!!!...so...I payed my first night, I asked him to give me back the rest of the payment for a week and I ESCAPE FROM THE HOSTEL. I recommand you: do not go to this "Hostel" .

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank CatyItaly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I am generally not someone complaining about an hotel, but this hotel was really terrible. I've read the comment here before going there and wasn't sure what to think, but now I agree with almost everyone here. The girl at the front desk was thinking of a lot of things when she served us, but specially not to help us. She gave the wrong wifi password to us for example.

They ask you to pay BEFORE going to your room, which was the first sign of the quality of the place. The shower place was dirty. Hotel location could be good in the day, but very noisy at night when you can hear some drunk people taking beers outside.

At check-out, nobody was at the front desk, so we we're not able to gave them the key before leaving. We just put the key with all other without any safety spot. Very bizzare hotel (very too expansive for what it is).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank b-noy

Travellers are raving about these Zurich hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We booked this room through RCI travel and mistakenly believed that it was the 5 star Krone hotel located nearby. There are two hotels with the same name, but they are not in any way related and are very different in terms of quality. We were shocked to find that the showers were on a different floor and we had to share a toilet with the rest of the floor. The room did have a mysterious citrus smell; the bed was clean, fairly comfortable; there was a sink in the room, not clean. The carpet was questionable with scatter rugs that we were afraid to look under. The "mini-bar" consisted of an ancient, small, empty refrigerator. Initially, we considered leaving but we were fortunate enough to get a room overlooking the river and Old Town. Views and location are fantastic. There is a tram stop right outside the hotel and there is a great deal of street noise (people and sirens).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I stayed here when I was in Zurich traveling alone for 2 days. The hotel is not the cleanest place. It's simple. The location is the reason I stayed there. It is not off the beaten path and instead is on the main street, right on the river. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
romania
Reviewed 30 April 2009

This hotel has only two advantages: good location and price. thats all!
Our room was very dirty and smelled strange. There were hairs and dust in the bed...
Toilet and shower are on the floor and not really clean as well.
Furniture is old and broken.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lindaromania
Bern
Reviewed 15 February 2009

The hotel is perfectly located and cheap. The staff at the desk was friendly and helpful. But it is probably the dirtiest thing I've ever lived in. I travelled a lot, in many parts of this world, but I would not have expected something as filthy in downtown Switzerland (as they call the city of Zurich). That carpet could give you the creeps! I made the mistake and dared to look under the beds... and it is hard to get this picture out of my head. The mattress and linen smelled of old ashtray, which they tried to cover-up with some sweetish-smelling air-refresher. That two lamps did not work is just a minor detail. I had no appetite in the morning and therefore cannot tell you about the breakfast.

• Liked — It's location in the old town of Zurich
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank StrangerThanParadise
Brugge
Reviewed 21 January 2009

After an web research about this hotel, I wasn't shure if I should go there, 'cause there are some bad coments. But I've accepted "the risk" and I'm happy for this. The LOCATION was great (3minutes from mainstation, 5minutes to lake, 2minutes to the "famous" mainstation street, 0minutes to old town, 0minutes to river, 1 minute to 24 hour food, 1minute to a lot of bars). Means, was great for nightlife and sightseeing (warning: Check Out 11AM, if you check out the clubbing in Zurich, take more than one day!! Thursday till Saturday is great!). The HOTEL is tolerably simple, cheap 'n clean. Means; there's no TV in the room (but there's a shared TV room), there are rooms with shower and toilet in/ n' outside (we had a douleroom with shared shower, 't was 20 Euros cheaper and it was no problem with sharing), our non-smoking room didn't smell (I have red this in a comment on the web). We had a new, comfortablle doublebed and the girl at the reception was nice and friendly. I thought about certain COMMENTS on the web and that's why I write a comment and it's so huge. It's a place to reommend b'cause location n' price couln't be better. Even the youth hostel is (more/=) expensive (and far away from downtown) and probably not so clean n comfortable. THOUSE WHO THINK THE PRICE/ EFFORT IS BAD, THEY'VE NOT SPEND ENOUGH TIME IN "HOTELS FROM ZURICH RESEARCH" AND THEY VE NEVER BEEN IN CITIES LIKE MOSKOW, LONDON, NEW YORK... . I'M SHURE, THERE ARE ALSO CITIES WHERE YOU CAN BOOK A 5*SUITE FOR 60 EURO'S, BUT IF U WANT TO SPEND TIME IN ZURICH ... (IT'S THE CITY WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY OF LIFE FROM THE WORLD)

• Liked — Price n cleanness
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Citytraveller84