“Nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

City Backpacker Hotel Biber
Fox Lake, Illinois
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed here for a one night layover in Zurich.

Stuff to keep in mind: It's not really a negative. Everything in Zurich is expensive. We haven't traveled much in western Europe, so we are still adjusting to that :). This place has a lot of stairs. We didn't mind at all, but you should be aware. Also, the other customers were definitely a younger (than us) crowd. We are in our mid 30's, and were just looking for a relatively cheap place to stay for the night. We knew what it meant to stay in a hostel,so this didn't bother us either. Just wanted to mention it.

The positives: The staff people were VERY helpful and very nice. The location, in the middle of the walking section, is easily reached by train and walking. Great location for what we were looking for. The bathroom (shared) and private bedroom were both clean and nice. Our room included bedding and towels. The reception area is a nice place to hangout and the building was quiet.

We didn't use the communal kitchen area during our stay.

Room Tip: Book ahead, it seems to fill early.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NikkBT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
South Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

Good location in the centre of Zurich; maybe a ten minute walk from the main railway station, about the same to the lake, and in the heart of several eateries; everything from fast food burger joints to fancy sit-down restaurants, all on the same road. Not so close to the nightlife, or maybe it was and I just couldn't find it with my pigeon German!
However: the reception is up. Up high. I lost track of how many floors up you have to go, but I think it's either two or three. There's no lift, so you get some exercise. It's not a 24 hour reception, but the reception hours are well publicised on-line and during booking, so it shouldn't pose too many problems. The lounge area isn't huge, and there didn't seem to be a lot of interaction between the people there, but it does have free wifi, or a computer you can pay to use. Linen is extra (3.00 CHF fixed), or BYO. Towels also available to rent. The staff are friendly enough, although sometimes a slight language barrier can make them sound rude when they're only trying to be helpful. It's not cheap, but it is cheap compared to many places in Zurich, which is an expensive city! If there was a breakfast, I never found it. There are lockers in the room, not huge, but no locks, so bring your own padlock.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Arnhem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed here five nights - this wasn't one of my favorite hostels. First thing was that nowhere on the website or during me reserving the room by phone did they tell me there were so many stairs and no elevator. This is very annoying when you travel alone with two suitcases. The room was not very clean and it was quite noisy. There was only one computer available and using the internet cost a lot of money. Bedsheets and towels were all for rent, usually that's included in the price, which it's NOT in Hotel Biber. Shower was very small and dirty. I did like the common room, where I ended up meeting a few really cool people and we stayed up a few nights having drinks and talking. I wouldn't recommend staying at Hotel Biber, unless you like climbing, noise and only carry a small bag. Good for the price though (cheap) and location is perfect.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

The staff are friendly, ther bedrooms are clean and comfy, you get a kitchen and a few bathrooms per floor (and there aren't many rooms on one floor), swiss army knifes are incredibly cheap, there is Wifi (of course), great leaflets and maps and above all, it is located perfectly in the centre of Zurich (but the artisan bit not the banker central). Expensive, a little, but cheaper and better facilities than most other hostels in Zurich, and what do you expect in Switzerland really?

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I have stayed in nicer hostels and I have stayed in the crappier hostels. This one is still ranked in the "crappy" category for me. I was travelling with three other girls and the directions from the train station that were given to my friend by the hostel were wrong. After wandering for half an hour, we finally just called a cab. We get to the hostel and drag out luggage up 3 flights of stairs to the reception. We are told that towels and sheets for the bed cost extra. Free wifi, but only in the tiny, crowded lounge area where other guests(?) were SLEEPING. Ugh.

We drag our luggage up two more flights of stairs to our room that has 3 bunk beds, each with a blanket and pillow that has been provided. There are also lockers for each guest. There is not much room to move around, so we drop our stuff off and head out into Zurich. The location of Biber is unbeatable. It's walking distance to just about everything.

We get back for the night and meet our 2 roommates for the evening and then go to bed. When the 2 roommates check out early the next morning, "housekeeping" comes by and just folds up the blanket they had been using for the next guests. Gross. Kinda makes you wonder how long it's been since they were washed. The bathrooms are absolutely disgusting. There is mold in the shower and the shower drains are clogged...so expect to be standing in a puddle after 15 seconds. There were also empty beer cans and used tampons scattered about. For the price we were paying, I was expecting a little more. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katie N

Travellers are raving about these Zurich hotels

Lisbon, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

I booked two beds in a comon room. The rooms was not very clean, and the beds were not clean at all. A lot of stairs. The room as very noisy. I couldn't use a bathroom because they were dirty. Overall i arrived at the hotel, put the bags, had a walk through zurich and at night i get back. At 6 am i leave the hostel, because i could't stay at that place. The location was very good, so so perfect! and the price (consider that all the other places were at least more 80 euros) was good.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I am of course aware that it's only a hostel, but for the high price in which you're paying, (again, aware that Switzerland is expensive in general) it's not one of the nicer hostels i've stayed in. Personally I found the shared bathrooms a bit run down and the shower drain was blocked therefor I had to shower with my feet in the person befores filth.

There is free wifi, but only in the small lounge area upstairs, which was packed.
The location in nice and central, in the old town. But unfortunately I was kept awake to the early hours by loud people outside at the restaurants and bars.

• Stayed August 2012