Eden Au Lac
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel NI-MO(Zurich)
Hotel Seehof(Zurich)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop barlake viewroom balconysmall luxury hotelopera houseclassic hotelzurich lakeswiss hospitalitymodern amenitiesroom serviceexcellent locationbreakfast buffetthe ground floorpleasant staynice roomold townbalconies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked afternoon tea for a client and myself based on the recommendation of a local expat website. The gentleman who took the reservation by phone was lovely and I had high hopes that this would be a delightful respite before a late afternoon of shopping and strolling around Zurich.

I had expected a somewhat bustling tea room with a kind of "ladies who lunch" crowd. Instead, the uncomfortably warm room was empty except for two exceptionally loud and crude Germans who must have assumed that I spoke no German, as they spent the better part of a half hour disparaging the Swiss as arrogant, cheap and rude. How ironic. Sadly, I was seated directly next to this charm-free pair and decided to see if they would leave before my client arrived. Thankfully, they did. Oh, it took 15 minutes before someone came into the bar area to seat me.

Once seated, I explained to the waitress that I was waiting for someone who would be arriving in about 15 minutes. She came back 3 times in the following 10 minutes to ask if I was ready to order, each time I declined and explained that my friend was en route.

When my client arrived, the servers had evaporated and we waited nearly 20 minutes for another server to arrive and take our order. With no air conditioning, the steamy wait felt like an eternity, but fortunately, the tea tray arrived rather quickly. It was stocked with a visually appealing assortment of sweets and finger sandwiches. Sadly, while the finger sandwiches were fine, each of the baked items was either flavorless, starchy, dry or stale - the exception being a mini white-chocolate mousse. No one ever returned to freshen our tea and I had to get up from the table to find someone to give us the check. It was the most abysmal service I could have imagined [particularly for a 5 start hotel] - and I LIVE in Switzerland, so I know to keep my expectations low when it comes to customer service. Now, in fairness, when people did show up, they were very sweet and offered warm smiles - which really means a lot to a customer. It is because of those smiles that I am giving the "average" rating and not something lower.

I had hoped that the Eden au Lac afternoon tea would became a personal oasis on my trips to Zurich. I'm going to have to keep looking.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank jcapri
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Hotel is a great find,about 10 to 15 minutes from central city but great location right on lake with views back toward central city.the most impressive olde worlde restaurant also with views,staff very friendly,helpfully ,a genuine pleasure to stay here,opposite park and baths,great strolling along Lake edge.Rooms are large,very comfortable with outside balconies to enjoy your surrounds

Room Tip: Choose a lakeside room as Hotel is in 2sections,one facing Lakeland one fronting the road
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I liked the place. Ideally situated by the lake, a tiny bit out of the center ( which might put off some people as it's a 15min walk) and right opposite Utoquai Bath, it has that feeling of being taken back half a century... grand and quiet, impeccable service with smily people, and laidback enough not to feel out of place if you aren't a businessman.
The top terrasse is a nice place for a drink weather permitted.
And if you are there in Summer, then a plounge in the lake at Utoquai Bath is a must.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Have stayed here before opposite the Lake, a lovely location and in general a nice, quiet hotel.
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the food is good though e only ate in the bar on this occasion.
We chose a bedroom overlooking the lake ...well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I came to Zurich for business and really enjoyed my stay at Eden au Lac. Hotel has perfect location for city trips, shopping and business stays. Very good breakfast. Clean and spacious rooms. Nice live piano music at the restaurant in the evening. The view on lake Zurich is great.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business