“Very good hotel, but not in city center”
Review of Swissotel Zurich

Swissotel Zurich
Ranked #42 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Montijo
“Very good hotel, but not in city center”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hote has a few characteristics I appreciate a lot: interior swimming pool + jacuzzi (furthermore, in the top floor, with good views and decent solar exposure), room was extremely quiet (something not that common, unfortunatly), it is right in front of a train station (5 minutes to the airport, 10 mins to city center) and the staff is some of the best staff I have ever encountered.
On the not so good side, the surroundings are a mess due to constructions, the restaurant's food is good, but a bit tasteless, and the hotel is NOT in the city center.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Sergio N
Swissotel_Zurich, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Swissotel Zurich, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Sergio N, thank you very much for calling us "the best staff you have ever encountered"! This is a big compliment and a great feedback. As you have stated correctly, we are not in the center but very convinient if you travel from the airport: 7 mins to the city, 5 mins to the airport ☺
If you stay with us the next time, please contact me in person, I am sure that our Chef Michael will prepare you a delicious meal @our Le Muh restaurant, tasty and unforgetable.
Warm regards, Jenny Cardinaud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I'll start with the bottom line: I would stay here again, despite the few lint-picking complaints I'll describe below. Zurich's transit system is one of the world's best, and the Swissotel is practically pebble skipping distance from the Oerlikon station, a major transit hub between the airport and central Zurich. Trains to the airport run every ten minutes; to the central Zurich HB station, about every five. If you're in Switzerland to sightsee, you can transfer at Zurich HB to long-distance rail rides that will take you all over the country.

Swissotel Zurich is a newish skyscraper of a hotel, with a Starbucks and restaurant in the ground floor and many other shops nearby. I'll let my photos describe the room. It was pretty swanky, by my modest standards, and expensive, too ... but that's to be expected in Zurich, one of Europe's priciest cities. Hotel bargains might be available here, but I'll bet they're few and far between.

As for my lint-picking complaints: I thought the bed was too soft, the sheets too short, and, most significantly, the room too warm, with a thermostat that wouldn't respond to my attempts at temperature adjustment. (Maybe I've lost my touch with thermostats: I experienced similar frustrations in three of the four hotels I patronized this trip.) I didn't mention these quibbles to staff, and so didn't give them a chance to address them. I don't think I would have bothered mentioning them at all when I first started writing reviews for TripAdvisor. Maybe I've become spoiled.

Hotel staff generously comped me to the breakfast buffet in the ground floor restaurant (for reasons irrelevant to this review, that would take awhile to explain). The buffet was as good as buffets get, but is usually _not_ free. Ask the price before going in!

I am sensitive to noise issues, as my other reviews will attest, but experienced none here. I slept soundly.

Swissotel may be very close to central Zurich via frequent-running S trains, but the blocks surrounding the hotel itself are pretty plain. This didn't bother me at all, but might put off some vacationers. Consider it mentioned.

Room Tip: Higher floors are likely quieter. Guests can watch trains come and go, and I suppose that some coul...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Timothy_Adams
Swissotel_Zurich, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Swissotel Zurich, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Timothy_Adams
Sunny greetings from Zurich and thank you for your detailed review! I am happy to read, that you had a comfortable sleep without any noise. For the next time: We also have longer sheets, which we provide with pleasure. regarding the breakfast: you can always include it in the rate - just make the booking through me the next time under jenny.cardinaud@swissotel.com. i am looking forward to hearing from you! Warm regards, Jenny Cardinaud - Emotions Manager
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed in Zurich for 2 nights.. breakfast was overly impressive and staff was very friendly. The beds could use some fixing with not having the gap in the middle for people who like a queen or a king bed. Other than that... front desk staff, location, services, everything was awesome!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Swissotel Hotels & Resorts

Swissotel_Zurich, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Swissotel Zurich, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Andy G
Wow, "Swissôtel - best in Zurich", this is a great announcement! Thank you!
I really appreciate your great review and I am looking forward to welcome you back (a KING bed is waiting for you if you contact me in advance under jenny.cardinaud@swissotel.com)!
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed here for one night this past saturday and I can tell you, it was the first and last time we went there!!
The staff was very nice, but the room absolutely dreadfull, oldfashioned (horrible furniture and carpet) a tiny bathroom where you can only stand as a single person, the bed was tiny and there was only one duvet for the (tiny) double bed, so one of the two of us was sleeping without any cover the whole night.
There was the possibility to make coffee or tea, however you had to carry the watercooker to the other end of the room because there was no plug for the electrical device!!
The inhouse parking (half a day) cost us CHF 34 which I think could be much cheaper.

Sorry to say this, but do not go there until it is properly renovated! I don't know in what kind of room all the other reviewers of this hotel stayed, but from their review I get the feeling they were not in THIS hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Monique K
Dear Monique K

Reading your feedback, I realized that we simply failed. By mistake we assigned a single room for you, which is definetly not good and should not happen. Unfortunately you didn't inform us about this unpleasant situation, so we could not solve it (knowing, that it was our mistake too, that we did not realize it).

I would be more than happy, if you could contact me under jenny.cardinaud@swissotel.com, as a bed should not be the reason you will not return. Let me show you, what Swissôtel Zurich stands for!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I really cannot recommend this hotel enough. I frequently travel for business but on this occasion had the pleasure of staying at Swissotel as part of a weekend Easter holiday. The hotel has undergone major renovations and looks fantastic, these were being finished the week of our stay but despite these our stay was seamless. From the front desk right through to our breakfast servers we were greeted with a smile and an unrivalled friendly service, often lacking in other establishments. We had a fantastic and spacey room on one of the higher floors that offered a great view of the city. We booked a bed and breakfast package (recommended) and the breakfast was delicious and varied, it really offered something for everyone. The light and airy dining room was full of atmosphere and the staff truly were servers with a smile- even at 6am at our pre flight super early breakfast! We had the pleasure of meeting the hotel manager during our stay who took the time to chat with us and ask how we were enjoying Zurich- again a first for me! Within the hotel there is a chocolatier, a hair salon and a Starbucks should you need a caffeine shot to re-engergise during your visit. For me the real feature piece was the rooftop pool- wrapped in glass on four sides you can stay warm whilst breathing in the city landscape- we relaxed here on our last evening and it was truly breathtaking.

Outside of the hotel itself is a train station with links to the main shopping areas (6-7 minutes away), the central train station, the lake….everywhere! We had hired a car to allow for some driving outside of Zurich and were delighted with the convenient underground parking available (it is pricey, but it is central Zurich also). Again right next to the hotel is a shopping centre and a small co-op supermarket where we stocked up on reasonably priced Lindt chocolate treats as gifts before we left. The hotel and surrounds really has everything but the standout experience for me was the genuine warmth of the staff- thank you all for an amazing stay at your hotel.

Room Tip: Go with a higher floor to get the best views!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kelmo
Swissotel_Zurich, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Swissotel Zurich, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear kelmo
Wow, thank you so much (the second time ☺)! I am delighted to recieve such a great feedback and I really appreciate the time you have taken to write it down. I am really looking forward to welcome you back soon. With my best regards, Jenny Cardinaud - Emotions Manager
Hong Kong

Stay here for 3 nights.

Location is superb. Right in front of the Oerikon train station and tram stop 11 (to the main train station), there is another tram stop 10 bound for the airport which is super convenient. I absolutely love the location. Have a Coop just opposite the street, lots of restaurants, shopping malls, Coop city, H & M and etc and etc…

Room is spacious, clean with OK size bathroom. Safe, minibar, coffee/tea machine & robes provided. Comfortable bed but I wish curtain could be longer as sunlight makes the room bright and woke me up early. I was able to control my desire room temperature to my needs which is great. I always find this feature to be efficient and important as not all people feel the same, it is always annoying that hotels decided the temperature for you with no option for guests. A lot of English speaking TV channels to choose from.

There is a swimming pool, sauna, spa/Jacuzzi & gym at the 32nd floor for guests to use. Staff friendly and helpful with very good customer service. Breakfast is just OK though, not much choice but is sufficient. The swimming pool is small and gets crowded when filled with 5-6 people in it, I love the spa pool especially after a long tiring day of sightseeing, but again it gets very crowded as it is a small round pool.

The only complaint I have is the Wifi access. Guest (other than Swissotel members) has to pay CHF7.00/day to access the wifi connection which I thought is unnecessary and expensive. I know Zurich is an expensive city but personally, I am only in the hotel during the evening when I would like to check my emails and perhaps research for my next day’s activities, I would only be using wifi say at the most 2 hrs. I was not aware of the pay wifi policy as my agent arranged my flight and hotels. This is very inconvenient for visitors.

There are 2 computers at the lobby where guests can use but have to inform/ask the receptionist to log-in which again I think is a bit too protective and inconvenience. Is it that Wi-fi is a scarcity in Zurich?? Coming from HK where Wifi is all around malls, coffee shops and almost everywhere. These 3-days did remind me of how lucky I am!! And next time I’ll better check carefully.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tachyon083
Dear Tachyon083
Wow, thank you for having taken time to write this detailed review. Reading it, I realized that we have missed the opportunity to offer you a membership with our Loayality program "Swissôtel Circle" where you enjoy free WiFi worldwide. For more information I am happy to assist you, just contact me under jenny.cardinaud@swissotel.com
Reviewed 2 May 2014

its located less than 50 mts from Orlikon Station which in turn is 6 min from Zurich HB main station. Very friendly staff and excellent service. We are vegetarians but in buffet spread limited and repeated veg options that's the only minus.. otherwise the spread is good

Room Tip: Some construction work is going @ the main road.. choose the rooms away from that
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear knbhatia
Thank you very much for your good review! As we work with local products from the market there is always a big variety of vegetables, vegetarian and vegan food at our Le Muh restaurant. If there is a next time you stay with us, just contact me or our chefs - they are more than happy to create your favorite vegetarian food! With my best regards, Jenny Cardinaud - Emotions Manager