“Things that matter most; Greulich has them.”

Greulich Design & Lifestyle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Bangkok, Thailand
“Things that matter most; Greulich has them.”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Great bed, good soaps and shampoos that relax and smell great, ipod connection, free broadband, ticket for public transport and/or free urban bike, great coffee and healthy breakfast with the essential choices all delivered with a smile and professionalism.

The restaurant is an additional plus for people who love great food.

The location is not super-central but works great for me. Access to nearby park (Baeckereianlage) with a nice biergarden on a nice summer evening is an additional plus.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank pingo97

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I normally stay at the Park Hyatt but this time it was going to be CHF1500/nt so I tried the Greulich. Must say I loved it and will come back. I disagree with the other comments on here about it being 'cold'--the staff were as warm and friendly as one could want; I arrived after 11pm when the kitchen had closed and they still made me a sandwich and desert. The room was very comfortable, bathtub lovely, internet connection worked *perfectly* and they don't charge extra--what more could you want? I am a light sleeper and there was no noise to keep me up during the night. Breakfast was lovely and staff very helpful pointing me in the right direction for my meeting. I even liked the location; it's nice to get slightly outside of central Zurich and I was at Paradeplatz in a 5 minute tram ride from the Gruelich.

My only complaint? No separate shampoo & conditioner in the bathroom.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank LeFlaneur
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Just came home after a short stay at the Greulich. All in all, a pleasant experience and good value for money.
The hotel is not very central but a short bus ride (8-10 minutes) on bus 31 from the main station or tram ride on tramway 8 from Parade Platz. The surrounding area is rather quiet and uninteresting.
The hotel is situated only on the ground floor of the building, the rest are luxurious furnished and serviced flats for rent. It has 19 rooms and some mini suites.
The "design" concept has pluses and minuses. Can feel a little cold, certainly not cozy.
The bed is good and comfortable. The tv set is very small and only CNN in english!
The shower gets messy with water and the toilet is separated from the room by some glass panes which do not offer much privacy. Toiletries too basic.

The public spaces are very warm and inspiring, in contrast to the rooms.
Good, free hi speed wifi all over the hotel.

Breakfast is rather basic for 28 swiss francs, not much variety.

Staff very friendly and cheerful.

Might stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Manthos
Vienna
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Yes, the design is minimalistic - and some may find it a little bit cold. However, I still think the functionality of the room doesn't suffer.

I like the location of the hotel when I am in Zurich for business. I also like the Yoga mattress and the jogging map (suggested trails in Zurich) in the room. The TV is joke (10" tube TV - can you buy this still anywhere??).

The Restaurant of the hotel is definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ChrisHVienna
geneva
Reviewed 30 November 2009

The hotel Greulich is not what a lot of people write about and I have to ask if it has people affiliated to the hotel writing reviews. There are things I read about which simply are not true and they compelled me to write a review so business travelers looking for a quiet place to sleep soundly are not surprised by what they experience.

Arriving there is not very practical as you cannot park in front of the reception area ; I arrived in the evening after a three hour drive in the snow and had some photo equipement in the car. The staff is nice and helpful, after they helped me with the luggage I went to park a block away and walked back in the snow. So far nothing to fret about. The reception area is nicely designed.

Room's design is somewhat cold and impersonal, they lack that simple feng shui detail that makes a sober design welcoming. They definitely lack a bit of warmth. Walls are bare, floor is concrete.
When I took a shower, I soaked the whole WC area as the shower is positioned right in front of the toilet seat and the glass door supposed to separate the two is not very efficient.

But that's nothing and those would remain small details compared to the overall very poor sound insulation, I could hear people talk, use the bathroom, watch TV, walk around almost as if they were in my room ! When people walk back to their rooms, they all come down this concrete path that resonates so much ! A couple had a full conversation out there at midnight (a Monday night) laughing and being so loud, I felt completely invaded in my privacy. After being woken up for the upteenth time, I was so unnerved I just got up and worked until morning and in the end I just felt really miserable.
The neighborhood is quiet which makes the poor hotel's construction even worse !!

The glass panels that replace walls at the end of the room are absolutely not light proof ; at night even after you shut every blind you possibly can shut ( I called reception to make sure I had it right) it is so bright in those rooms it's as if you forgot to shut the lights off in your own room. Outside they keep all the lights on all night and it's lighting your room ; something someone should have thought of perhaps ?

It is not cheap either as I paid CHF 325.- for a Junior suite (apparently they had no other available rooms), breakfast was not included and I had to pay CHF 20.- extra for parking (uncovered).
I guess this hotel is fine when you're 20 years old and coming to Zurich to party or if you are nor generally bothered by noise and light at night.
I travel regularly to Zurich for work and change hotels depending on the neighborhoods I have to be at. I never felt the need to share a bad experience, I never had one really.
I think I just learned to share the good ones in the future though.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank CatGeneva
toronto,ontario
Reviewed 21 October 2009

The Greulich Hotel is a wonderful oasis in Zurich. The moment you arrive the staff is friendly and courteous. The rooms are quiet with very modern architecture - a wonderful glass screen separates the bathroom from the sleeping area, a raised sitting room makes for comfortable relaxing and the beds are comfortable with fine bedding. The garden is very zen with a small forest of birch trees which adds to the overall feeling of quiet and elegance. The restaurant is excellent with an imaginative menu and attention to detail that made the meal a memorable experience.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelgnome_9
New York
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I don't know what the bizarre inverse relationship is between design hotels and service, but it seems the higher up the concept ladder one goes, the less interested the establishment is in delivering quality service.

The feeling is one of really high-end motel. One parks ones car behind the building in a lot that is visible through the back window of the room. The rooms themselves are entered through an open-air corridor that serves every other room. I We enjoyed the room: bright, airy, a little plasticky but that was okay. And the breakfast the next morning was pleasant, especially as the weather was fine and we could take it outdoors. But every interaction we had with the staff was either weird or unpleasant or both, including check-in and check-out. As an example, we were charged for three breakfasts though we were but two. It seemed beyond the capacities of the front desk staff to remove that unnecessary line item from our bill. Hotel experiences are all about these little things, and though the beds were comfortable our lasting impression is one of slight discomfort, mostly owing to personnel behavior.

t's quiet, though it is located near the center of town. We slept very well. By the way, I would give a better grade for cleanliness--everything was spotlessly Swiss--but a cockroach tumbled out of the curtains when I opened them in the morning! Yuck.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple