“Fresh”

Dining options: Reservations
Zurich, Switzerland
“Fresh”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Good value and nice laid back atmosphere with real authentic mexican. Especially the Guacamole is made fresh and the way it should be and not with added creme fraiche or similar.
Only the portions are tiny. The tacos should be called tiny tacos.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Lalee T

Basel, Switzerland
“Nice lunch, good sauces”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Been reading some very conflicting opinions of this place so came for a late lunch on my own (weird thing to do here but I work locally). I have my doubts about the authenticity (the green salad with a roll that came first must be a Swiss adaptation) but the staff were hanging out and chilling after the lunch rush.

I had vegetarian tacos, and while the tacos and spicy rice were adequate, the sauces (pico de gallo, an onion and coriander salad, a smoky sauce and a chilli-lime sauce) were very good and there was plenty of fresh lime. I can see how if you do not like fresh coriander, this is not the place for you, but I love fresh coriander. I had a non-alcoholic beer which went well.

Not amazing and Zurich prices, but a very pleasant, fresh and different lunch.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jenny C
Scarborough
“Alright but some pep is missing”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

The portions are not overwhelmingly large and the food could use some pep. Apparently, there is a Mexican cook, taking care of matters. I can only imagine, that it is deliberately toned down in order to suit the local palates. The interior is somewhat rustical, somewhat weird and somewhar cozy and won't suit everybody's taste..but if you're into a niche restaurant with Mexican food, then this is the place to go. Furthermore, the service was ok, somehwta friendly but yet indifferent. The locale is run by youngish people who pretty much cater to the same youngish, vintage wearing crowd.

The price is average for Switzerland and I suggest, that you skip the meal there but order some empanadas, which are made fresh, come with 4 sauces and are delicious. Unfortunately, they are only served mostly in the evenings.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank gone_aforeign
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Great ceviche”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Contrary to the other reviewers, I did find that this place serves authentic mexican food. Especially the ceviche was wonderfull, full of different types of seafood and fresh coriandre. The different types of taco's were good as well. The atmosphere is very laid back and the staff friendly.

• Visited October 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
“friendly staff, nice interior, but not so authentic”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We have been to el luchador last week as I read about the place and was excited in hope to find some real authentic Mexican food in Zürich. I have been to Mexico for a longer period and love many of the authentic Mexican dishes, so I want to give it a try and went with my friend for lunch, I made a reservation, and we were friendly welcomed. We ordered some lemonande and ginger tea, both very good. Then, we decided for tacos al pastor and tacos de camarones. When asking if the meat is as pinky as it is in Mexico, I got somewhat of an odd look, and she said, yes it is authentic,but pink, not really. First we got a salad and soup, both good. Then the main dish came quite quick. My tacos already looked a little burned and when I ate them it was clear there where somewhat overcooked. My pork meat was not pink and did not taste as I love the al pastor taste. The rice was fine and had some good taste. My friends camarones were some of rather bad quality. When asking if they have some other dishes besides tacos, enchilladas, fajitas, as everone has, she said, that waitress said there is most of the time a Mexican cook who cooks orginally and on demand, special dishes can be made and every evening they have something special as chilaquiles. Pozole, tamales, mole etc.they don't have.
Overall, we had a good time, in a nice atmosphere and with good service, but food did not meet our expectation and is similar to most of other Mexican places in Zürich/Switzerland. Would be happy to get any advise on a real Mexican restaurants with 100% authentic food.

• Visited November 2012