“A real gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #78 of 1,875 Restaurants in Zurich
Price range: US$121 - US$202
Cuisines: Contemporary, European, Delicatessen
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: WHITE. BLACK. FOOD. MOOD. FINE. DINE. ROCK. ROLL. EAT. MEET. SUPER. DUPER. Unerwartete Kreationen und unverschamte Desserts, die die Stadt noch nicht gesehen und geschmeckt hat. Die frei untereinander kombinierbaren Gange und Gerichte folgen keinem Gesetz ausser der Unvorhersehbarkeit und demjenigen, das sie den Geschmack eines anspruchsvollen Publikums treffen sollen, das sich fur ein Dinner gerne Zeit lasst. WELCOME. AT. MAISON. MANESSE.
“A real gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Since this restaurant was rated number 1 in Zurich, we wanted to try it out to see what it is all about. We were not disappointed.
The concept of small dishes put together to a individual menu is not new, but most of the time you will find one or two great dishes and the rest is mediocre. Not here; from the pre-starter to the dessert, all dishes were a great combination of tastes and textures. One better than the other but all very good and special.
You can trust the good service with wines and spirits.
This place is quite unique in Zurich - in a great way.

1 Thank DaKe72

Zurich, Switzerland
“Excellent food in a friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We went to Maison Manesse for a farewell dinner with ten friends. I had very high expectations and must say that they were even surpassed. We had the dinner menu and paired wines as suggested by the charismatic owner, who was our waiter for the night. Each course was exceptional and some of the best food I ever had. I particularly enjoyed the St. James scallop with passion fruit concentrate and 96-hour onion gel as well as the 63° freerange egg with asparagus. Miguel explained every dish and accompanying wine in detail. The ingredients are both high quality local products as well as exotic "super foods". The presentation showed the passion that goes in every creation of the chef.
Maison Manesse offers fine dining at its best, with the atmosphere of having dinner at a friends house. A mixed crowd, no need for tie and jacket, just great food. Naturally, such an excellent composition comes at a price. So besides being one of the best, it was also one of the most expensive meals I ever had. The experience is more than worth it's price though , so if you're looking for a superb dinner you will remember, Maison Manesse is the place to go.

MJLedesma, Manager at Maison Manesse, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest,

it was a pleasure to have you and your party with us.

Thank you very much for your lovely words.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Kind regards from Fabian, Miguel and the Team.

Maison Manesse
Kirkland, Washington
“Best meal ever - a must for foodies!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

It was our anniversary, so I searched TA for ideas for a special dinner. We're from the West Coast and my husband is a software engineer on business in Zurich, so we didn't pack attire suitable for many of Zurich's fine dining restaurants. The description on Maison Manesse's website seemed perfect, with the focus on the food rather than neckties and white linens. I did due diligence and checked out quite a few other places, but all were even more expensive and I didn't think we'd fit in with our relatively casual wardrobe.

It's a small place with a clean, casual vibe and you can definitely wear what you like. The manager was our server, and after looking at the menu (in German - he said he usually has them in English, too, but not this night), my husband put us in his hands to choose the dishes and the wine pairings. I was a little panicked about what this was going to cost, but it was totally worth the price (not only the best but also the most expensive meal of my life!). I think we had nearly everything on the menu, and the wine pairings were amazing. However, you can definitely stay within (and probably below!) the cost of most of Zurich's fine dining restaurants if you order the set (prix fixe) menu and stick to maybe 2-3 glasses of wine (dining in Zurich is expensive no matter where you go).

The servings are small, but there is so much flavor! The chef is a genius - the blends of tastes in each bite were stunningly good, and often completely unexpected. My understanding is that most of the ingredients are locally sourced. About halfway through I just accepted that it was going to cost a fortune, and that was OK because it was so good! The first few courses we had happened to be raw - fine with my husband, but I usually avoid raw meat/fish. I didn't flinch and ate them all, and they were delicious (and so far my stomach is fine!). Most of the items on the menu are cooked, so if you don't like raw food you'll still be fine (also some vegetarian options as well).

I loved every dish, but two of my favorites were the 63° egg and the Albula Valley potato tart tartin. Of the desserts, I most enjoyed the manuka honey and almond cake. The chef came out to chat and get our feedback toward the end - extra nice touch. I highly recommend the set menu so you get a good variety of dishes (and best value for the price), and let the server choose your wines for you (he'll bring as few or as many glasses as you like) - but if you want the best possible experience (and can afford it), just let them choose everything for you!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank MrsCJR
Zurich, Switzerland
“Exquisite, innovative food and wine plus outstanding service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We tried Maison Manesse because they are listed in a Zurich restaurant discount book, Esses gehn!, otherwise we would have never know about it. They have a great website that gives you some idea of what is in store when you visit - but prepared to have your expectations surpassed. We love 'fine dining' on special occassions but sometimes feel disappointed with the service which can either be too stiff/formal which comes over as unfriendly or at the other extreme the over familiar friendliness or theatrical tone that detracts from the experience.
None of those issues at Maison Manesse. From the moment we entered we were delighted. The decor is simple and low key in what appears to be a small old building. Nothing pretentious or overly formal, not even tablecloths (so if those are a must for you then you could be disappointed.)
All the effort at this place goes into the food, the wines and the service. The food options are very simple. We did the vegetarian tasting menu which was simply delicious, surprising and beautifully presented from start to finish. Lots of taste surprises without being outlandish for the sake of it. You can also order a tasting menu that includes fish and meat or an a la carte choice. We also chose to let our waiter/sommelier (who really knows what he is doing) to choose a flight of wine pairings for us, as this is always a great opportunity to try wines you are not familiar with. They were all fabulous choices and rather than simply presenting us with the ready poured glass, we were given the opportunity to taste each one in case we didn't like it and would prefer an alternative. Never had that before and really appreciated it. You can also choose from their extensive list but I would really recommend letting the sommelier take care of that for you!
Something else we also liked very much at the start was being asked how we would like the meal to be paced -again, something we had not been asked before but would love to be asked this every time you are somewhere of this calibre. We like a slowly paced meal, but not everyone does or has the time on a given day, so it's a great thing to be asked in advance.
I could go on and on about how wonderful this place is in terms but one thing I shouldn't forget to mention is how good value it is. Especially in an expensive city like Zurich, the veggie tasting menu at CHF87 was very reasonable given the high quality and quantity of food.
We enjoyed our evening so much, we made another reservation before we left. They have only been going 8 months so we hope they are successful as they are doing something special in a slightly out of the way location. Hope to be able to go back many times. Many thanks to all the team for a wonderful evening.

1 Thank RunnerBean41CH
Denver, Colorado
“Innovative food, slow service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

After seeing that this is the #1 restaurant in Zurich on Trip Advisor, I was surprised to hear from the waiter that they don't get many tourists. They also did not have a menu in English the night we dined there, although it sounds like the menu was new so perhaps they usually have an English version. You can order the pre-fix menu (5 courses, 87 CHF for vegetarian or 110 for meat) or they recommend 4 plates from their menu (ranging in price from 17-29 CHF per plate). We were there on a Tuesday night, and there wasn't an open table, so make sure to make reservations. Most of the dishes were delicious--very creative use of ingredients, textures, and flavors. Presentation was impressive. We especially enjoyed the lamb tartar, vegetarian tartar, "fake" lasagna with béchamel sauce, scallops, and pork. They have a selection of wines, but the restaurant mostly features a large selection of gins. The gin and tonics were wonderful but at 19 CHF each, be careful how many you order. I would have given 5 stars had it not taken THREE AND A HALF hours to serve 5 courses. The spacing was just too much to truly enjoy the meal. I couldn't tell but there many have been only 1-2 waiters serving the entire restaurant (and perhaps just one chef doing all the cooking?!) Otherwise, a great, but very expensive, meal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles