Sorell Hotel Zurichberg
  • Bar/Lounge
Leoneck Swiss Hotel(Zurich)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewszurich zoointeresting layoutround buildingmarvelous breakfastlake vieworder eggsrubber duckdesk and chairswiss cheesesreach the city centerpublic transporttram ridenumber tramnice hotelhot itemsbuffet styleshort walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Nice to be welcomed back for the second time in a year, (allbeit on the sad occasion of my aunt's funeral".

Your reception is friendly; your rooms (single as well as double) are nicely equipped and both times I've had views over the lake of Zurich towards the mountains.
Breakfasts are generous, with a wide variety of foods, suiting those who careful over calories and not so careful: very good English "fried eggs and bacon".

I like your large but also cosy bar/restaurant through the big doors off the reception area.

In short no complaints!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
zurichberg, General Manager at Sorell Hotel Zurichberg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear guest,

we are pleased that you were happy with the service we have delivered. Thank your for your excellent rating.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an enjoyable stay. The view is breathtaking and the people were friendly and accommodating. We ate dinner at the restaurant and the meal was delicious. Prepared to perfection and the salad was big enough to have as an entree. The rooms are spacious and the amenities were good too. Each night we had turndown service and a chocolate duck. That was a nice unexpected touch that added to the overall great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view and or balcony to enhance your experience. The room a large by European standards.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gator G
zurichberg, Guest Relations Manager at Sorell Hotel Zurichberg, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Gabriella Achermann
Event Manager

Reviewed 16 December 2013

You arrive and you get checked in in no time. They do ask you what you need not more not less. They seem to understand not everybody needs the same treatment and they adjust. They do help in any way possible with all your business issues-FAX/INTERNET/PRINT OUT etc.

Room Tip: The rooms with view to the lake are beautiful. The rooms looking to the woods are also beautiful-depends what you like!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest

It is a great pleasure to read your rating and I have forwarded your words to my team. Thank you for staying with us whilst you are in Zurich.

Thank you for the compliments, it's a great motivation for the whole team.

Your sincerely,
Gabriella Achermann
Event Manager

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My family and I have enjoyed coming to this hotel for years. The staff always makes a special effort to see that you are well taken care of. Be it asking for a restaurant-to providing tram tickets-to finding a plce that supplies my dog with his favorite dog food. The hotel is in a supberb location with easy access to downtown Zurich. This was especially helpful on this trip as navigating Zurich with a car was not a timely option. All the streets had detours and were under construction.
I would reccomend Hotel Zurichberg to business travellers as well as just going for a quick break.

Room Tip: There are several rooms in the new building with great lake views-even if the day is overcast.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
zurichberg, General Manager at Sorell Hotel Zurichberg, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Reviewed 7 October 2013

"R21 sets new standards for restaurant cuisine. It offers a superb arena for chefs and sommeliers, combining the secret of creative and contemporary culinary art, elegance in a relaxed atmosphere and fantastic views of Lake Zurich and the city of Zurich."

This is the description of restaurant R21 from their website. I can assure you that neither is the cuisine creative or contemporary, nor does it set new standards in dining. Whoever wrote the above is clearly a marketing person with absolutely no skills in gastronomy. The only part I do agree with is that it is elegantly furnished and offers good views of Lake Zürich.

We were a table of 8 adults with 2 kids on a Friday evening. We come here repeatedly as my father in law likes the place. I personally do not as the food is average at best. The service is ok, it's typically clinical Swiss German service: prompt and relatively efficient but lacking of any emotion whatsoever. Smiles cost nothing.

For a restaurant that claims to offer creative and contemporary cuisine, their menu is terriblly boring. As you will note from their menu (photo attached), they offer only 4 starters, 4 mains and 3 desserts. I perosnally like restaurants with small and limited menus as this is normally a sign of great cuisine. Rather than be a jack of all trades, it's better to master a few and master them well. Unfortunately this place doesn't do it. The chef/F&B director needs a kick up the backside. I'm a former successful hotelier and know what I'm talking about.

For starters: a boring salad, a potato soup, a risotto and an octopus appetizer. I ordered the octopus and it was quite poor. The dish lacked any flavour whatsoever. I grew up by the ocean and am a massive fan of seafood, but unfortunately this dish was bland. Others had the soup and it was nothing special. Truffel foam is not good enough... not only is it outdated, it's a pathetic attempt to fool diners into thinking this is gourmet.

For mains: Zürich geschnetzeltes (Swiss German traditional veal dish), Hackbraten (Swiss German meatloaf), Mistkratzerli (grilled Chicken) and Thai red curry. I'd like anyone of you to find something creative/contemporary on this menu... I'll give you a million if you do! Boring food. I had the chicken and it was moist and well cooked but nothing special. It was just grilled chicken with potatoes and 2 thin slices of a panfried plum. The thai curry was average and I've had better veal at local supermarket cafeterias. Lastly, I'd like to point out that despite having sufficient number of wait staff, our food still sat at the kitchen pass far too long. End result: our food was not served piping hot.

Desserts weren't anything special either. The chestnut purée was clearly not home made and tasted as such.

The best thing about this place: the wait staff's uniforms and the décor.

The negative points: very average food, service too clinical, nothing contemporary in their cuisine whatsoever.

I would have rated it poor but it wasn't, it was average. Socks certainly need to be pulled up...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Smoke_Trees
zurichberg, General Manager at Sorell Hotel Zurichberg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. For the inconvenience I very much apologize to you.

Your impressions are very important for us to avoid such situations in the future.

The entire team, it is very important that you feel comfortable with us and I am very sorry that we have not succeeded most during your stay.

We would be very pleased to welcome you again soon with us.

Best Regards,