“Close to Railway Station”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Basilea

Hotel Basilea
Ranked #110 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Close to Railway Station”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

Firstly it is not value for money but its location close to Railway and lake makes it worth for stay. The rooms are OK with decent facility like LCD TV, fridge, locker, towel etc.
The breakfast was as usual same typical European cold breakfast with little option for vegetarians.
The Internet wi-fi was provided free of cost and was good connection.
The important drawback is that its location is just beside red light area and which makes the family little uncomfortable.The noice at night makes you sleepless at night.
I won't return it here

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank vinodbh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

I stayed at the Basilea for 10 days - it's situated in the old town, walking distance from the main train station which made it a great location from which to explore Zurich, especially given it's location to restaurants.

The staff were very helpful and professional but not cold. I give them 5 stars for cleanliness - the place is spotless!

Despite the size of the room, I was very comfortable as they kept everything clean. The rooms look exactly the same as the promotional photos, though the bathrooms are a lot smaller than they look in the pics!

My room was located at the back of the hotel which gave me very peaceful nights except for the guy next door who snored terribly - thankfully he checked out before I did! The front side of the hotel sees a little red light action which had been mentioned in other TripAdvisor reviews and had me concerned. However given the fact that I was indoors by 2000, I only witnessed the ladies arriving for work and didn't see much else.

Breakfast was typically continental, however after 5 days it became a predictable routine - the hotel would benefit from adding more variety to the menu! The hotel would also benefit from having a lounge area where guests simply want to chill out after a long day and AC in the rooms.

All in all, I had a good stay and was actually a little saddened at having to leave and say good bye to free WiFi!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you want some peace and quiet!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dzashe
Tralee, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Hotel very convenient to Zurich train station ,in old part of town .Friendly receptionist our lift to room was small but okay for 2 with suitcases. Room small but to be expected in old part of town. Good continental breakfast. Overall happy with this value for money hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John C
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

This is a well-located hotel, close to the main train station and Central, a tram and bus transfer point. The hotel itself is modest; It's clean, has a friendly front desk staff (with one exception) and provides the usual European breakfast. Yes, the street can get noisy in the evening, so if one is traveling during warm weather when the window needs to be open (there is no air-conditioning), a room at the back of the building is to be preferred. Our room was adequate in size and modern in its aesthetic, though the floor covering throughout, even into the bathroom, was an odd rubber-like substance which had all the appearance of textured carpet but felt like rubber. The building looks modern, yet is probably at least a century old, if not considerably older. That, by itself, isn't a drawback, except when the modernization doesn't include soundproofing between rooms and floors. One night we endured at least two hours of what sounded like a gymnastics workout by the guest(s) above us. We mentioned this to the gentleman at the front desk the next morning, and he advised that should it happen again, simply call the front desk and they would take care of it. It did not occur again. Oh, as some other reviewers mention, one evening we passed a "working woman" a block from the hotel, but the Basilea is NOT in the "red light" district and the young woman, who at first we didn't even identify, looked like a sophisticated, smartly dressed twenty-something. In sum, this is a nice hotel, with rates commensurate with being in one of Europe's most expensive cities. With the exception of the atypical nightime gymnastics, it was a pleasant stay, and we'd most certainly recommend the Basilea to anyone contemplating a visit to lovely Zurich.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WT40
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

For the price they charge and considering you are in the middle of one of Europe's most expensive cities, Basilea offers great value for money. Rooms are basic but very clean and breakfast is just what you would expect....cold meats, cheese, muesli, yoghurt, fresh bread and rolls etc. Staying here you can walk to all of Zurich's many attractions and the Hauptbahnhof (main station) is less than a five minute walk. Maybe not a place to stay if you have young children as the ladies of the night of Zurich can be found on this street - they are not as sleazy or pushy as in most other cities.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face the street as it can be noisy at weekends.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank bsfood
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We were booked in the Basilea Hotel in Zurich for two nights. The first morning my wife was sitting in the desk chair fixing her hair. She went to get up from the chair, and the seat of the chair came loose from the frame. Fortunately, she was not injured. When I examined the plastic seat, I noticed that the plastic around all of the attachment points was cracked. I left the seat of the chair on the bed so that no one else would make the mistake of sitting in it, and so that the housekeeping staff would be able to replace the chair while we were out on tour. Much to my dismay, when we returned to the hotel that afternoon, we found that the key to our room had been changed and we were locked out. The manager of the hotel approached us and accused my wife of abusing the chair. We would be allowed back in our room once we gave a credit card to pay $300 for the chair. I explained to the manager exactly how the chair had come apart while my wife was only sitting in it. He continued to insist that she had abused the chair. I asked how she might have abused the chair—was simply sitting in it enough or did he think she had taken her cane to it. I pointed out how the chair was clearly defective and that he should take it up with the manufacturer of the chairs. Finally, I gave him my credit card so we could get new keys to our room. Apparently he did follow up with the chair manufacturer, and they must have agreed that the chair was defective because he called our room and told us the manufacturer had agreed to replace the chair at no cost. But even at this, he continued to insist that my wife was lying about the circumstances that led to the failure of the chair. I had expected an apology for the inconvenience and some sense of relief that my wife was not injured, not further insults. My wife and I have traveled around the world and stayed in a lot of hotels with various numbers of stars, but never have we been treated with such insolence by a hotel manager.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the bars on the street below which apparently stay active unti...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BigEd56003

Travellers are raving about these Zurich hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Basilea for two nights with my family. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews and so pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel after a short (5 minute) walk from the train station. The woman at the front desk was quite pleasant and we were able to go immediately to our room even though it was probably around 10:30 in the morning. That was a treat.

Our room was a triple and, while not huge, was certainly large enough for the three of us. The third bed was in a small alcove off the main room. The bathroom was small but clean and adequate for the amount of time we spent there. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. A nice assortment of bread, rolls, croissants, yogurt, fresh fruit and cereal. There was free wifi which seemed to work well for us.

Several reviews placed this hotel in the red-light district. If it was the red-light district it's the nicest one I've ever encountered. In all fairness, we didn't stay out that late so maybe we missed all the action. I believe there was one "adult" store on the street (it was quite discreet) but there were also three used book stores and a public library (as well as the main branch of the Zurich Library at the end of the street) so I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel with younger children. It was well-located within easy walking distance of the old town, river and lake. There are also a couple of tram lines that ran very near as well as the funicular which was a fun ride to get a skyline view of Zurich.

Overall I thought the Hotel Basilea offered good value for a Zurich hotel and I would recommend it and stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room 412 was on the back side of the hotel. It was probably quieter than those on the street s...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family