“A Decent Place to Stay”

Best Western Hotel Spirgarten
Ranked #104 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here in late May for a night on our way west. It is situated above a square along a major street in Zurich, so beware of traffic and pedestrian noise if you choose to leave the window open. Our room faced onto the square, and while there were a few folks outside talking or dogs barking, that stopped later in the evening.

The room was small and clean, with a handicapped washroom. Unfortunately there is no air conditioning at this hotel, but it cooled off at night and we were able to open the window. Thankfully there was no noise from the square below.

The hotel has no parking, so we had to obtain a pass for the public parkade behind the hotel at a cost of 15 francs. Breakfast was supposed to be included as per our booking, but the front desk person stated otherwise, so we passed on same.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the opposite side of the hotel from the major roadway. It will be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Christophe R, Geschäftsführer at Best Western Hotel Spirgarten, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Mr. Ron

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked / disliked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at info@spirgarten.ch.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a feedback.

Christophe Rouiller

BEST WESTERN Hotel Spirgarten

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed with my family and we enjoy our stay. Will definitely stay again if go back to Zurich. Parking was next to the hotel and was not too expensive, 48hours restaurant is located at the main entrance, the breakfast was OK, the buffet dinner is ok for adults not a good selection for kids. there a supermarket right next to the hotel and the Piazza have vendors, we stay there during a weekend, they have a market on Saturday mornings. The train station is 1 minute away walking and 15 minutes ride to downtown Zurick.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor room to enjoy the skyline at night or sunshine in the morning, the skyline can b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Christophe R, Manager at Best Western Hotel Spirgarten, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Sir
We are very pleased to read your positive comments about your stay at our hotel and are happy you and your family enjoyed it.
For your comment about the kids menu we would like to thank you and will improve on our offer for the youngsters.
Looking forward to host you soon again and send best regards from Switzerland.
Christophe Rouiller

Reviewed 22 January 2013

I had a good stay. Friendly stuff @ reception and restaurant. Pricing is... ok for zurich.
My tatar was delicious. Next time I'll try out the burger! The breakfast is my special tip. So I really had a good start that morning. See you soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Zurich and Switzerland in general is not really known for reasonably priced Hotels at a good standard. This one here is a typical example of such standard Swiss Hotels. With its origin in somewhat the 70ies and some renovations here and there it preserved the typical look of this time.

I only got a "Standard Single Room" which turned out to be a approx. 9 sqm chamber with a quite big bed. Opening the door, you're already in the bed. The floor is Laminat which is a lot better than a smelly carpet but still noisy. The other equipment of the room looked a bit eclicistic and worn. The bed is def too soft. The curtains don't fully darken the room. The window was pointing to a parking lot with some noise at night and in the morning. The window had to be opened as the room was pretty sticky and hot. Turnning down the heating was not possible... A small bathroom with a shower with marvel-look-alike tiles. It is functional, it is clean but with low ceilings a bit clumsy.

The breakfast in the Hotel restaurant was ok but nothing special (was included in the price). The staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall it is a seminar location which doesn't make the place very cosy.

So what now? In summary you can say, it is ok to stay there, clean, well located, etc. but... the price of € 200 for one night incl parking is ridiculous! Even with Zurich being expensive this is far beyond anything! Max price could be around €100 - 120 incl parking.

If there is nothing else left, this Hotel is ok. If you have the choice, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: if you don't get a superior room, avoid this place!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I should have been staying here as I was delivering a training programme the following day. But when I arrived late at night and tired after travelling I was told that they had given my room away because I had not confirmed it by faxing back the confirmation e-mail that they had sent me, with my signature on it! They were full now so I had to walk for 20 minutes to the Ramada. I had to walk because the taxi ride of 22 kilometers from the airport cost me CHF 94 (€82) and so I had no cash left for another taxi.
I travel a lot and I have never been asked to fax back my signature to confirm a room! And I've travelled to,some so called third world countries.

Sorry I can't recommend this hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Pguilfoyle
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed for one night while on business. The room was booked by our customer company so I can't comment on the value. The hotel is 5 mins walk from Alstetten train station (less than 10 mins to the central station) and there's a bus and a tram stop outside.
The reception was friendly and efficient and they have an unusual but effective system with external and room keys. The room and bathroom was small, clean and faced the back so although I could just hear the notorious bells, they didn't disturb me during the night.
Breakfast was served in the adjacent restaurant and offered a typical 'continental' selection of quite good quality.
UK readers sit down for this bit - the internet access was free!
I asked if there was a computer/printer so I could print out my boarding pass for the flight home and I was given a curt "No". I found this a bit surprising and disappointing for a hotel that seems to specialize in conferences/seminars.
I'd be happy to stay again if I had to, but would probably look elsewhere if it was my choice.

Room Tip: Facing the back may be quieter and avoid the bells
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We've been here 4 times courtesy of my husband's company. The location is good considering it is 5-minute walk from the train station. You can reach the center within 6 minutes train ride. We have the double room. The size is an average European size. My husband mentioned that the single room is pretty small as he once stayed. It is clean, without A/C but with fan during summer. The bathroom is ok with thin plastic shower curtain. This makes it looks cheap. There's hairdryer and built-in shampoo/shower gel for those who didn't bring one. It is pretty clean. The bed is fine (2 single bed combined). To our 4th stay recently, we had a fruit plate (for the 1st time). During our first stay, I only slept for 2 hours because of the church bell. It was winter and even with closed window, you will hear it every fifteen minutes. It was unbearable for me. From the 2nd to our recent stay this month, I got used to the church bell or maybe I was also tired. As for the breakfast, it's light continental with juices, boiled eggs, cheese and little salami which you can take from the small buffet area. The coffee or tea (according to your preference) is then brought to you by staff. The staff is fine. Neither friendly nor rude. They will greet you once you come. I guess because most guest who are staying are actually for business purpose so the warmth that you feel is not the same as to the hotels you are staying during pleasure. Our stay is paid by the company so I wouldn't complain. I saw that the price ranges from 210(single)-285(double)CHF. If you will come there and pay for it either for business or pleasure, I believe that you can check a better offer with either the same standard or better one. This hotel isn't bad. It is clean and with all what you need. It is an average place to stay. I don't know how much the company paid for it but as a tourist I will consider other options. We are living in Switzerland and have stayed in few hotels for pleasure and the price are reasonable and better standard.

Room Tip: You can try to ask for a room that is at the other side of the church.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business