“Go for the buffet and the nonalcoholic drinks”
Review of Haus Hiltl

Haus Hiltl
Ranked #11 of 2,026 Restaurants in Zurich
Price range: US$10 - US$59
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: According to "Guinness World Records" Hiltl is the first vegetarian restaurant in the world. The company was founded in 1898 by Ambrosius Hiltl and is now run by the fourth generation of the Hiltl family. It offers around 500 dishes and includes, in addition to the a la carte restaurant and Hiltl buffet, self-service and takeaway, a bar-lounge, a club, a cooking studio and a shop...
Reviewed 10 November 2013

A vegetarian place that has existed for 100 years must be good. Hiltl does not disappoint. I have been a regular at Hiltl for many years and quality has only increased. The restaurant has grown and offers many different options: You can order from the menu, or you can get instant gratification at the very extensive two-story buffet. I prefer the latter, simply because I love salads and the variety is intoxicating.

Hiltl offers vegetarian food only. If you have dietary restrictions, every meal has labels that describes the key ingredients and contents. As such, it is a safe eat for many. Multiple dished have a slight indian touch. Desserts are excellent, especially the traditional Cremeschnitte and the mousse au chocolat.

The food is always excellent and fresh (likely due to the large turnaround). The drinks offered are amazing. I recommend highly the iced teas and lemonades, as well as the fruit juices.

Reserve a table ahead of time because the place can be very busy, especially in the evening and on weekends. The online reservation system is very efficient and easy to use. Note that after 10PM the place turns into a dance club.

My only gripe lies with the service: While some servers are very attentive, others suck big time. I guess this is also a reason why I prefer the buffet, because no direct staff interaction is necessary. As someone who eats there 2 - 3 times per week when in Zurich, I think I have had a fair sampling. It amazes me that such a successful place does not spend a little more in staff training. However, when the management is informed, they always make up for it.

Hiltl_GuestRelations, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Haus Hiltl, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Thank you very much for your detailed review and the numerous compliments to our restaurant. It is very important to us to provide a good service and to have friendly and attentive waiters. Positive and negative feedback are immediately discussed with each of our staff and we want to improve steadily. Please check the private message I just sent you therefor.

We hope to keep you as a regular guest and really want to prove you, that our waiters are the best in Town. :)

See you soon and have a wonderful time!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,090)

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This restaurant is nice in ambient. and got great food.
situated walking distance from central station.
They have buffet style casual lounge/ restaurant and sit down more formal type of restaurant.
buffet is fresh and tasty. if you want to sit down it is much more expensive than buffet.
nice lighting and hip/chic type of place perfect just to get a drink there too since ambience is nice.
food was delicious. definitely would recommend this restaurant.

ビュッフェスタイル

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Hiltl offers a fantastic Sunday brunch. Even though it is a vegetarian restaurant, meat-eaters will find plenty of things to keep them happy. There is so much choice that you will struggle to eat everything that you like. Absolutely one of my favorite restaurants in Zurich.

Hiltl_GuestRelations, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Haus Hiltl, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Thanks a lot for the great review and the compliments!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

In the search of Veggie Indian food we reached HILTL and to our surprise we found a variety of delicious Indian cuisine. They had a sumptuous buffet and it was truly a different and mouth watering experience . Would love to be there again on our next trip to Zurich

Thank you very much! We are looking forward to you next visit in Zurich!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I visited this little veggie heaven with some meat-eating friends. As a vegetarian I don't often get excited about eating out, but I was very excited about this restaurant - and I wasn't let down! We ate from the buffet though there is a menu option available.
The buffet was expansive with a huge number of hot and cold, sweet and savoury dishes available. Customers help themselves to the very tidy and well-stocked options, then weight their plate and take the ticket before heading back to their table to tuck in. You can return as many times as you like; the tickets form your bill for payment when you're finished. The quality of the food was good - for this vegetarian it was great to know that there was no meat, fish or fowl used in the kitchen and no animal products (other than dairy) used in the food. Vegan options were available too.
The only negative was the table staff were quite reserved and inattentive but that may be a cultural difference.
I highly recommend this restaurant.
P.S. The restaurant has a good bar with seating for the buffet, which after 10pm is turned into a nightclub!

Thank you very much for the positive review! Our staff should always be friendly and attentive and we will focus more on that.