“Horrible experience!”

Neighbourhood: Gewerbeschule
Zurich, Switzerland
“Horrible experience!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

The food is fine but the service was so bad, not to mention the high prices you pay! The waiter was rude, unfriendly, and slow. We had to wait for 50 minutes for two dishes that could have been prepared under 15 minutes. When the dishes were finally served, the waitress simply placed the plate on our table without asking which is for whom, and did not even bother to apologize for the delay! By far the worst dining experience in Zurich. I would stay way from it!!

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Ealj

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Good Szechuan food”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Their szechuan dishes are really good, if you like spicy. Try the spicy fish soup. Also liked the sweet and sour ribs (they don't use that standard, out-of-the-bottle bright-red s&s sauce) and their duck. Appetizers are so-so, I'd rather skip them and order more main dishes.

Main drawback: This place can be packed and very loud on weekends, also the service will become very slow and you have to wait quite long. You don't go there for the nice atmosphere but for the food.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Googelybear1
Geneva, Switzerland
“I pay for food not for waiter's comments...”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We went there with one chinese friend. The quality of food has nothing special, and dishes are over priced. Does not worth it. But the worse was to come: the waiter was keeping in doing remarks to my friend, in chinese, and criticizing the fact she was going out with europeans. The guy did not even have the guts to say it in English or German... We left, and we won't be back!

4 Thank 934b
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“Poor quality of food and services”
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

When i went there, there were not many people in the resaurant but the service was very very slow. There were only two waitresses in charge. It took at least 25 mins for us to get the food and it was really bad. This is (for me) the worst chinese food I've ever eaten in Europe. So don't even try especially if u r asian!!!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Arnon L
Baden, Switzerland
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The first time I went to Beyond, I was not impressed, all except for the one spicy dish they offer, which is sort of a stew you can order with either pork, beef, or fish. I thought the service poor, and the quality of other dishes bland.
I have since returned a few times, and always ordered that same spicy dish, which I really enjoy. I returned there with my wife and daughter, excited to have them discover what I had previously thought as a nice Chinese restaurant right next to the Zurich train station. We were all disappointed.
The menu is difficult to read. They have an English version, which is nice, but it's not an easy menu to navigate. They have different sections, different size papers with various offerings...in short, just a painful mess. We started with some dumpling appetizers, 2 different kinds. It took forever to get the order, and they came at different times. Having made dumplings myself, I know they are not made "to the minute", so that delay was most likely on the waitress (more on her in a bit). My wife and daughter then had a noodle soup, while I, of course, had my spicy stew. The noodle dish looked very basic. I tasted my daughter's and was not impressed. You could do the same with a beef bouillon cube and a few Chinese spices. My stew was good, but they added some sort of bean to it, which was hard and tasted disgusting. A mistake, maybe?
The waitress who served us was the same that helped me the first time I went there. Months later, the attitude remains. During my last few visits, a guy helped me, and he was somewhat friendly. She is just unpleasant, and acts as if she is doing you a favor by being there. I think there is no room for that sort of behavior, especially not with Swiss prices.

I downgraded my original review to a "Poor" status. Except for the one dish, most of their other stuff, at least what I have tasted so far, has been bland. The only reason I will return there is if I have to wait for a train and I crave that spicy dish. But, that will involve convincing my wife to go there again, which is not likely to happen after her first experience...not to mention there are direct trains to Baden every half hour, so why waste my time and money.

I will search for another Chinese restaurant worth of my Swiss francs, and would advise you to do the same.

• Visited July 2013