“Shortchange wheb paid in Euro”

Rheinfelder Bierhalle
Ranked #139 of 2,027 Restaurants in Zurich
Price range: US$13 - US$22
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Veal Sausage with Rosti (hashbrown) was pretty good, but the Pork Leg (Waedli) was pretty tough. The prices are reasonable and it would have been a decent evening until the bill comes.

It was a mistake for assuming that a restaurant in such location would accept credit card, so I have to pay in Euro since I have no Swiss Franc with me for the one day in Zurich. The bill actually stated exactly the amount in 31 Euro, based on a rate of 1 euro to 1.1 CHF which is acceptable to me. However, my 50 euro came back with only 16 CHF! When I approached the waiter than he admiitted it was a mistake and give me another 3 CHF. That still doesn't work out right as 19 euro certainly not equal to 19 CHF! I didn't want to persue further and took it as giving the extra as tippings!,
That spoilt the whole evening and otherwise a reasonably good and our last meal in Zurich!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A lively, noisy restaurant serving traditional food, especially roesti and wurst. Service was snappy, despite the packed tables. Prices are reasonable, by Swiss standards, as this country is expensive throughout. There are outdoor tables, but as with all European restaurants and bars, smoking is permitted in such areas, so anyone allergic to cigarette smoke or who resents eating someone's smoke with their food, take an indoor table. Indoor seating is mainly at long benches, so don't expect a private, romantic dining experience. Nevertheless, the grub is good!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Nothing fancy here. OK selection of beers. Carbohydrate, cholesterol increasing meals. Lots of people in group had breaded dishes, which were humongous, and they ate it all. I tried to avoid the fried and had calf livers. They were cooked well (i.e. rare). The rosti was tasty and I couldn't not eat that fried food. Very noisy downstairs, which made talking difficult. Last time, ate upstairs, which was more pleasant.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We asked a local person for a suggestion for local cuisine in Zurich. He sent us to this restaurant. Nothing fancy but the food was great. I had veal and Rosti. Definately the best Rosti I have ever had and the veal was great in a mushroom sauce. yum yum

1  Thank Leonie G
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Reasonably priced, good size portions, traditional grub. Wanted to try rotti & some sausage and glad I tried them here - it's a traditional bierhalle so don't expect anything fancy but do expect good eating.