“Wonderful stay in a refurbished country house”
Review of Swynford Manor

Swynford Manor
Singapore
“Wonderful stay in a refurbished country house”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed in a master room for four wonderful nights with our young baby. There was plenty of space to spread out and the little tyke loved crawling around the new carpet in the room. She also loved the huge copper bathtub that was in the bedroom, not that bathroom. I liked how it allows you to enjoy the view outside - of the fields and horses.

There was not a great deal of storage space, with just one small wardrobe with a single rail and not many hangers. No coat rack, we made do with putting our jackets and coats on chairs and the floor length mirror (that was a nice touch!). In the bathroom, there wasn't much space to lay out the bits and bobs of creams and potions around the sink.

For such a big room, it was a waste that the bed was only queen size. Having said that, it was nice and comfy.

The TV and technology in the room was amazing, the most high tech room I've stayed in. There was a smart TV in the room. We could watch Netflix and even stream our own videos and play music on the Bose speakers from our private cloud. A pity that the iPad in the room only displayed information on the hotel and didn't allow internet access. Thankfully, we had our own and the wifi worked very well.

This place is very dependent on the butler service, which is great if you like calling up (they are very responsive and lovely). I'd prefer it if some things are ready for use in the room already, such as a tea tray and kettle. Note that there isn't a minibar fridge. Seems like the expectation is to have drinks in the bar/lounge or call the butler.

The complimentary breakfast was great, with nicely updated classics. The traditional English breakfast came with all the right frills - mushroom, tomato, baked beans, bacon, sausage and blood pudding. Other options included smoked haddock kedgeree, and scrambled duck egg with smoked salmon. I liked how there was a cold buffet spread and the hot option cooked to order.

George and team went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. George was always checking that the baby was okay and coaxing a smile out of her. One of the front office staff stopped dropped what she was doing to walk me up to the room and turn on the radiator in the bathroom for me.

There was a slightly unpolished feel about this place. It's new - only opened in Jan 2014. There are some things that don't quite work (the desk lamp had a broken arm already), and there were some small oddities - toiletries weren't replaced even though they were obviously running low. When we ordered breakfast in bed at the last minute, toast wasn't provided with our full English breakfast. The tea tray had uncaffeinated options on the first day but these weren't replaced subsequently. These are very small niggles, which I suppose is due to them being an independent outfit (it has a sister hotel in Bury St Edmunds) and not part of the well-oiled machinery of a multinational chain. I very much enjoyed the personal touch and the warmth of this place. Definitely worth the five stars.

Last, and by no means least, there was a lovely afternoon tea with full service - sandwiches, assorted cakes and pastries, and life-changing scones. These are what scones are meant to be - somehow somewhat light and crisp on the outside and soft inside, not cloying and stodgy like most, of course with heavy slathers of clotted cream and jam. Beautiful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
David T, Owner at Swynford Manor, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Vswong,
Thank you for your review and constructive feedback of Paddocks House. Your comments of the property and team are much appreciated and received with thanks.
We are slowly moving away from our ‘newness’ within the property and getting over snags and teething issues that inevitably do happen in these circumstances but are also appreciative of being able to learn from our guest feedback and such reviews.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I do hope you will come back and see us when next back in the area.
Best regards,
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed at Paddock House for our 16th anniversary. This was our first time back since it closed for refurbishment under new ownership. I have to say that the place has been transformed, it is now a smart and chic boutique hotel. My wife and I can't recommend the place highly enough. The food and wine was spot on too. One improvement would be the addition on a health spa and/or fitness centre.

Room Tip: All the rooms are designed as suites, and all have garden views, so I guess they are all on a par.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sean T
David T, Owner at Swynford Manor, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Sean T,
Thank you for your review of Paddocks House. It is always encouraging when our guests are able to appreciate the conversion having visited the property in its former guise.
I hope you both enjoyed the remainder of your stay and will be back again to see us soon… who knows we may even have some spa facilities.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us,

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here many years ago so I was keen to see how the long awaited refurbishment had worked out. I have to say that, we, my girlfriend and I, were really pleased with the welcome that we received. The main entrance hall and staircase have a quality, crisp, clean and modern ambience. The receptionist was polite and chatty and not at all stuffy... so often we are greeted by a fixed patter of monotone words but here the welcome was unassuming and warm. We were shown to our room on arrival which was spacious, pristine and well equipped. The dark decor and good lighting give the rooms a boutiquey feel and this is really impressive for new arrivals. The rooms have a real wow factor. There are some nice touches... personalised welcome letter, quality his and hers toiletries, copper bath, bose sound system and mini ipad (a bit gimmicky though given that most visitors who would want an ipad have one with them).

We didnt stay in for dinner but we used room service and had bar drinks and a good breakfast ( including a veggie option).

We were really well looked after and enjoyed our stay very much. Its nice to see staff paying attention to little details... like bothering to remember which room we are in or what drink we ordered before... so full marks there.

A couple of very minor points step this back from a 5 star review. Maybe this is just a matter of personal taste... We stayed during Guineas weekend and the Newmarket Rowley Mile and July racecourses are a very short drive away. Given the lack of great quality hotels for racehorse owners, other connections and the race going public... it seems odd that there is little character to this place befitting its racing heritage. Artwork on the walls was cheap and flat and anything ornamental seemed to have been acquired in a single visit to the interior design section of a DIY store. Some hoteliers would put an array of great pictures or photos on the wall or allow local artists to have their pictures on display with discreet price tags maybe. Brigadier Gerrard, a winning 2000 guineas horse of 1971, is buried in the garden but the impressive grave was a bit weedstrewn. The place needs a bit more genuine style and looks a bit sterile. Also, if I was staying longer the monocrome black and grey decor would stop being classy and would start to irritate. The carpets, wall coverings and tiles are the same everywhere... in rooms, hallways and public areas. A few more touches of colour would not detract from the design ethos of the place.

That said, it was really nice here and I would certainly recommend this to friends and family.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank acornjet
David T, Owner at Swynford Manor, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Acornjet,
Thank you for your review of Paddocks House, your feedback is great to receive and very constructive thank you. The points you make with regard to the racing pedigree is a very valid one and something that is already in hand. We have a vast amount of Brigadeer Artifacts that are being ‘upgraded’ and when we finally manage to get them to our standard they will go on show in our Brigadeer Bar’.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I hope you will be back to see us at some point.
Best regards,
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Paddocks House for a birthday treat thanks to Secret Escapes and would fully recommend it. Previous reviews have summed up the wonderful features - breathtaking surroundings, superb customer service, unique and eye catching decor blending old with new and offering the utmost in comfort, inviting restaurant with imaginative and tasty menu. This boutique hotel stands out from the crowd in many ways but most notably for the personal 'butler service' provided to all ensuring that every guest feels special. We asked for an iron in order to press a shirt but George was having none of it, he insisted on ironing it himself and was scrupulous about the time he would deliver it to the room to ensure that he wouldn't disturb us. I truly believe that whatever the request it would have been fulfilled. The only suggestion I would make would be to have a towel rail in the bathroom so that towels don't have to be left on the back of chairs. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
David T, Owner at Swynford Manor, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Stuannrobdav,
Thank you for your recent review of Paddocks House. Your comments and feedback are most welcome and much appreciated by all concerned.
I am delighted to read that you managed to make the most of the facilities and George’s services, we aim to please and am glad we did for you.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I hope you will be back to join us again soon,
cambridge
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here for Mother's Day in a suite. Beautiful room and very good size. Evening meal excellent.. Had to request a Gluten free meal due to being Celiac and they went that extra mile with my meal and at breakfast...very much appreciated. Very attentive and courteous staff. Keep up the excellent work!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are special
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
David T, Owner at Swynford Manor, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear tobyandsophie,
Thank you for your recent review and great feedback for Paddocks House. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our concept.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I hope you will be back to stay with us again soon.
Cambridge
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We visited for the first time following new ownership, lunch with a friend, the food was delicious and excellent value for money, which was also the case with the wine, we will certainly return!, Delicious lamb cutlets highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CambridgeTrees
David T, Owner at Swynford Manor, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Cambridge Trees
Thank you for your review of Paddocks House. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and had a great appreciation for our food and beverage offering.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and I hope you will be back with us again soon.
Best wishes
England
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

A beautiful retreat blending english charm, comfort and exquisite fine dining to replenish your being

Paddocks House is the early 18th Century former country home of Lord Byron’s sister, now part of THE HOUSE COLLECTION.The location is very close to the Newmarket Racecourse. The boutique hotel and grounds are charming and beautiful.

Paddocks House is the perfect getaway in the country, blending English charm with modern decor in a unique manner. The relaxation permeates every cell, due to the quietness and also the decorum. Prior to my visit I received phone calls from the very friendly and exceedingly polite butler, asking if I had any requests prior to my visit that would ensure my stay was pleasurable. The care and courtesy was genuine and touching. Indeed, as a long term vegetarian with preferences towards cuisine containing tofu, along with my desire to avoid alcohol, my requests were detailed. My guest also had preferences of Halal meat only. All requests were met with perfection and a joyous response.

If you are looking to recharge and refresh, Paddocks House is a must to visit. In this day and age, many of us work more than we rest, and finding wonderful retreats becomes increasingly important to well-being and rebalancing of the mind and body. The hotel is kept immaculate and a fresh scent is experienced everywhere. The room I stayed in was very spacious, with a plush comfortable bed to ensure maximum rest, a dazzling copper bath to soak and revive and rainwater shower, designer toiletries (Hermes for him, and Bvlgari for her)(and a fabulous view. Room entertainment needs are met by a Smart TV with satellite channels and Bose bluetooth sound system. Every request was flawlessly attended to, including an earlier dinner.

As a lover of gourmet cuisine, the restaurant is a sure delight for your taste buds! As both myself and my dining companion were on special diets, the chef created a personalised menu (much to my delight). The culinary journey experienced gently teases you out of the familiar and into unchartered territory, showcasing the skill of the chef. The restaurant combines the seemingly impossible of style with comfort, which is often compromised readily in favour of appearance. Each course seemed to arrive in perfect timing, allowing a few moments pause and digestion, before further culinary exploration appeared before us.

The peace experienced during the visit was unbroken and relaxed my usual habit of over-thinking, to surrender to the art of unwinding slowly and pleasurably. I can relate to the location being ideal for inspiration to write romantic poetry, as reportedly written by Lord Byron. I took away with me fond memories and a feeling of complete renewal.

• Stayed February 2014
David T, Owner at Swynford Manor, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Sarah S,
Thank you for your review of Paddocks House of which the detail reads beautifully and is much appreciated. From an owner perspective it is hugely encouraging to read when our guests have an appreciation for the detail and experience and further take the time to share their opinions. I am sure Lord Byron himself would more than approve of your review of his old stomping ground.
Thank you again Sarah for your kind words and please do come back and see us soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Six Mile Bottom
The Black Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Swaffham Bulbeck
Newmarket Boutique Apartments
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham

Been to Swynford Manor? Share your experiences!