“The Dial Inn -Lamphey--a,YES”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dial Inn

The Dial Inn
The Dial Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Lamphey B&B and Inns
Cardigan, United Kingdom
“The Dial Inn -Lamphey--a,YES”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

Teled the week before to check if open for food -yes,every day and Mondays-pleasant woman added,would be pleased to see you! We went on the Tuesday !!,Useful car park at the side off- road,garden,but this was 6.30 evening October..Inviting front,little lights not detracting from a view into the Inn of a well stocked bar to the right,and to left a dining room/ area.Although empty ,a girl at the bar greeted us,spoke good English,with the accent of distant European in those James Bond movies.
My friend asked for a drink-which I d never heard of-and neither the girl-(apparently ,an Italian beer!) I asked for just a small real ale -oh,dear ,not on- tonight.No ,problem.
Given menus,walked into a nice restaurant,good tables,chairs,not a huge place ,but tables not huddled together,open fire -gas flame-burning,lovely quirk-china displayed around,with display cabinets-best of all,big prop.fans hanging from the ceiling-brought you back to the movies,Bogart and Lauren ,perhaps Singapore!
Pleasant ,perhaps local ,young waitress,obliging ,and coming forward ,regularly to get order,but not pushy-good approach.First ,choice-oh,dear,not on tonight.Jokingly,I said to the Bond girl-,you will have to help,here,we are restaurant,journalists,all 3 things we asked for,so far,-not on. We were nt complaining,really making light of it.It was a big menu-would you keep the lot-on a Tuesday night in W.Wales?
We both chose,basically,cod and chips!-this was beautiful quality,beautifully cooked.Waiting for this was a good sign-it was nt a fast food place.We were asked a good 3 times if all ok.Ordering a second beer,the Bond girl came forward with a sample glass of the real ale-she had remembered- she came over to say it was now ow.I ordered..
We did not have a sweet -but saw good looking stuff going to an another table.Best coffee I have had for decades in a restaurant,nice china as well.
We came in at 6.30 and left at 10.45.I was later told that they were interested to know we were food journalists-so I came clean, we were not-and told them the Inn was very good,the staff /service were very good-it was noticeably better than many big starred restaurants-not pricey for a full evening.Recommend to anyone.(Would I make a food journalist!)

Room Tip: did nt stay-eating/drink only
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank j0hnsutt0n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

I had the pleasure of staying three nights at the Dial Inn in Lamphey a few weeks ago, and I must say that I am a little miffed by some of the negative comments below.

I arrived by train in the early evening, and was welcomed by the barkeep, whom I later found out is the son of the landlord.

He immediately offered me a drink, took my luggage and showed me up to my room - which was very clean, quiet and comfortable, (with en-suite bathroom/shower).

The food was excellent - far better than I expected - freshly prepared, and the service very relaxed, informal and friendly, and I was treated almost as a VIP guest throughout my stay.

I met a number of interesting people there, and we had some good philosophical chats around the bar, and were treated on a couple of occasions to some impromptu live acoustic music.

I genuinely had a good time, and will definitely consider staying again when I next visit Pembrokeshire.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank jerry r
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Very very good food, (though i had to wait as it looked busy) and a very comfortable room. Bathroom was excellent as was the balcony overlooking the village.. A bit of a caberet with the Landlady (a sort of Peggy Mitchel type lady!) I witnessed her argue with a young rogue type and send him packing when I first arrived.. Very friendly staff.. I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: I had room 3
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank George P
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

We had stayed at The Dial over a year ago and were alarmed to read recent postings on this site. Relying on previous experience we booked to stay at The Dial for two nights last week. The Dial is not a hotel. It is a very popular village pub with rooms and is not normally staffed out of licensing hours. One’s initial arrival has to be timed appropriately or arranged for a specific time. Once booked in the key system allows freedom to come and go as you please. The en suite rooms are of a good standard and spotlessly clean. The food on offer is a cut above the usual pub fare, freshly prepared, varied and plentiful with first class, casual service. We were pleased to find on our recent visit that nothing had changed and we had a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Newquay, Cornwall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

unable to comment on the quality of this hotel as despite having a reservation
the hotel was closed on my arrival after a 6 hour journey from cornwall. no sign

of any staff and empty car park was always a bad sign. phoned the hotel on my
mobile and left two messages on the answer phone and waited for a return call
which never came.I arrived at 3 pm and booking confirmation made no reference to

a closure period.
I would avoid this hotel at all costs now as they seem to have a track record
for this, see previous reviews. Lamphey is a lovely village and this lack of
customer care was unfortunate the lack of an apology adds insult to injury!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank barry c
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

Visit this area about once a month on business usually stay at the lamphey hall but due to my last stay there I decided to look at an alternative The dial inn offers 4 star b&b
The rooms are outstanding ,huge fantastic menu all very affordable wonderfull food,the staff here were quite frankly outstanding its the best place by far to stay in pembrokeshire
value for money the food is twice as good as the lamphey hall and half the price

top notch!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank WalesCarlos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamphey
BEST WESTERN Lamphey Court Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lamphey
Tregenna Bed & Breakfast
Tregenna Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 16 in Pembroke

Been to The Dial Inn? Share your experiences!