“NOT for business travelers”

Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lamphey
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed there for 3 weeks nearly in a row (only spending the first week end at home): Here below are the different pleasant or unpleasant experiences I had with this hotel; as a professional auditor I do try to remain objective. At the beginning of my stay I considered applying for the Best Western privileged guest card but after the first two days I gave up the idea. I must mention that I was not auditing this hotel but staying there in order to audit a different company. I had chosen the hotel because it was not too far from the place I had to go everyday; the booking was done through a travel agent.
- Upon arrival in my room on the first day, I noticed that the toilet flush was not properly functioning and I reported this to the desk lady. She promised that it would be fixed; the second day, after I noticed nothing had been fixed, I complained again and I got the same promise, the third day, the same, and so on…Friendly and promising but totally inefficient. Finally, before leaving for the week-end, I stressed that upon my coming back on the Sunday night back I wanted a different room. They recorded my request and when I came back on Sunday they were happy to give me the same room…I started to look around to check whether there were hidden camera (may be they were making fun of me ?). I refused the room and they gave me a big one with toilets that were working…
- I used twice the laundry service : the first time it took 2 full days to get my clothes back and they returned half wet in a garbage bag. There is no need to mention the ironing. The second time they were returned to me the same day, dry and properly folded. At least they didn’t charge this service as I discovered when paying the bill.
- The internet access works pretty well and doesn’t need any access code. On the other hand there is none in the vicinity except the hotel’s guests…
- The surrounding is very quiet except for the talktive raven and the sheeps that some time express orally their thoughts.
- In the room I had for the second part of my stay, the mirror in the bathroom was above the heater but not above the sink, which was facing the heater…interesting design when you have to shave…There were alive spiders (with their webs) above one bed so I chose the other one, hoping that the house keeping would raise their eyes and kick them out. No. Probably they were privileged guest and they stayed the whole time of my stay.
- The food in the restaurants was most of the time nice and the service generally good (it seems their restaurant is quite popular so it is better to let them a little while in advance if you are going to eat there).
- For my last two days I was relocated to a huge and cold house because, for some reason I still don’t understand, my booking had been cancelled. So the hotel had packed up my stuff and when I returned from work I was kindly informed that my room had been given to another guest and that I had to stay in that remote house, alone. They apologized a lot and I was assured that there would be no difference and that my room would be serviced the same way as before. Although I opened the heater, it remained cold…like the weather. The next morning, no hot water at all in the bathroom…I informed the reception and they promised that I would get some in the evening. In the evening, the room and bathroom had not been cleaned…and there was no hot water. Thanks God it was my last day. When I checked out, they didn’t ask if the stay was ok…
- If you don’t like old fashion furniture and design this place is not for you.
As a general summary this is definitely not a place for business travelers (hotel is VERY far from this standard), probably more suitable for retired hikers who stay there for only a couple of days.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Alexandre J

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Basically I decided to stay at this hotel because I often stay at another hotel in the Best Western family that always provides us a quality room and good food for a reasonable rate and the Lamphey Court Hotel proved to be a great selection.

The hotel is located just off the A4139 main road in the small Pembrokeshire village of Lamphey and adjacent to the Lamphey Bishop’s Palace medieval monument. Its façade is truly impressive and there’s plenty of onsite parking all around the hotel.

Our arrival was a quiet affair and the formality of checking in was carried out with efficiency. We were staying in the main building and our first (upper) floor room was reached via a series of passageways, typical of older established 19th century converted buildings. Our deluxe room was spacious with a generous wardrobe and additional drawers for all our belongings and complete with all the furnishings required for a few days stay. The large double bed was extremely comfortable and both my wife and myself enjoyed three excellent nights sleep. Tea and coffee making facilities were also provided as were biscuits and still and sparkling bottled water. Housekeeping was also of the first order and our room and bathroom were always spotless and well presented following the daily make-up.

Breakfast was taken in the breakfast room, a bright and airy un-crowded space to the right of reception. On offer were a good selection of cold buffet items together with cooked to order hot breakfast items and lashings of fresh tea and coffee. All breakfast foods were a delight and the waiting staff could not have been more friendly and helpful.

Dinner was always taken in the Conservatory Restaurant and reservations had to be made with reception to avoid over-crowding at busy periods. That said, from what we experienced everything seemed to run like clockwork and all comers appeared to get seated without delay. The menus (one fixed one changed daily) while not overly extensive were surprisingly good and the food served was tasty and very enjoyable. Service was provided at a leisurely pace and once seated you could enjoy dinner at your speed and not the speed of the next diner. I can honestly say that the quality of our meals over the three nights we were there was truly wonderful. It was well presented, unpretentious and flavoursome and all served up on very warm plates and tureens in a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. Wonderful.

There is also a spa and fitness centre but we did not make use of these facilities so we cannot comment on them further.

Getting to the bottom line now… would I stay here again? Absolutely at any time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Clare D, Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Your comments have been passed to the team and we are glad that we where able to make your stay comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Me and 2 friends were looking for a spa weekend in wales and came across this beautiful hotel on our internet search. We had a brilliant deal for the weekend including dinner, breakfast and spa treatments, we also stayed in one of the suites they have. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the service was attentive but not intrusive. Our room was very clean, as were all the other areas of the hotel. dinner was delicious, as was the breakfast. There was a lot to choose from and was cooked fresh to order. The spa treatments were excellent and so relaxing and we also made very good use of the pool, jacuzzi etc as well. The location is not central but it is a very beautiful area. There is a train station about 10 mins walk away or if you have a car there are a lot of other little villages to visit or Tenby was around a 20 min drive away. We didn't want to leave at the end of the weekend as we felt very at home. Highly recommend a stay here. Very beautiful place that we are glad that we found. We will definitely be going again :)

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay with us here at Lamphey Court. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time here.
Your comments have been passed onto the team and we look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Don't be fooled, despite the beautiful setting and first appearances, this hotel hides a multitude of issues, most of them service related.
We booked for 6 nights from 15th - 20th Sept. and had a number of issues during the week.

On arrival we were greeted with a smile and an excellent service by the receptionist.
When we got to the upgraded studio room we found it contained a separate room containing 2 single beds with the main room with a 4ft bed, not even a double!, which we were unable to both sleep in comfortably (and we are not large people!!). The single beds were made use of as a result. The overall space was fine as we also had a dog,
Unfortunately we also found there were no BBC channels. According to reception they had a transmitter fault and did not know when it would be available.
We had other small issues with the room in that the shower leaked (under the shower door) and the toilet was difficult to flush, the carpets were not hoovered every day and the curtain pelmets had not been hovered or cleaned for a long time. Given that we were paying a daily rate of £5 for our dog (for cleaning) the least I expected was a clean floor every day!! What was the charge for??
We also had issues with the heating which went off about 9pm so the night porter had to bring a portable heater as he was unable to help, but at least he did what he said he would do!

On our first night we decided to eat in the restaurant. The food was quite good, although my wife felt the homemade burger was over cooked and tough. The service was not so good as we waited a while for our main course and some of the staff must have been on their first day - an omen of what was to come perhaps?

We only used the Spa facilities once, but they were fantastic, except that there was no hot water in the showers on that day!!

The restaurant service was even worse on the Tuesday evening with a wait of an hour between starters and main course. As a result of this we ate out every night afterwards.
I have to say the food overall was excellent both in the evenings and particularly at breakfast, so they do have a good chef. However we also experienced a 'non breakfast' event where we waited for an hour, when our order appeared to be 'lost' between the waitresses.
I have to give praise where it's due and there was a young waitress called Mariya, who showed that she was efficient and hard working and an example of what customer service is about. Perhaps some of the other waiting staff could take a lesson from her?

On the Thursday morning I arranged a meeting with the manager, to put all these points to her. She said the BBC channels were up and running by Monday (our TV was still not getting any by the time we left on Saturday) and said she would accompany the Housekeeper when she cleans the room, following our meeting, to assess all the points, including the lack of BBC channels, but sadly we never heard anything again from her before we left and there was still no BBC, the shower still leaked, the toilet was still difficult to flush and the floor still had not been hoovered!!

For the prices being charged this hotel does NOT live up to its star rating and was let down by poor customer service and housekeeping. Sadly It is one hotel we will not be visiting again.

Room Tip: We would not recommend Room 241 (Outside Studio room), until the issues have been addressed. This ro...
1  Thank bunglemcfly
Clare D, Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me during your stay, I can assure you that all points where covered with House keeping and I physically showed them the issues you encountered.

The maintenance man lowered the shower screen on the bath while I was in the room with him as we identified a gap, this we felt would have solved the problem you highlighted. The toilet flush was check and again adjusted.

I will pick up the fact that the instruction give to the housekeeping team was not carried out to your satisfaction, for this I apologize.

I have passed you appreciation onto Maria our restaurant supervisor, who is now looking after training of the restaurant team to ensure the experience you had dose not reoccur, however if there are unforeseen circumstances we will as always try not to let them effect our guest.
experience.

As an apology we did compensate you directly at the hotel, which I hope you found acceptable.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

The hotel room was a studio and beautiful. The reception and spa staff were fabulous. The waiting staff were outstanding and were very attentive. I can't wait to come back to the hotel as its a gem for a long weekend soon.

• Stayed: September 2013

Your comments have been passed onto the team & we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we attended a wedding. The hotel is set in lovely grounds. We checked into our room which was a studio room set aside the main hotel. The room was big and had tea/coffee making facilities. Where the tea/coffee and kettle were would not be good for everyone as it was all tucked under the TV on a shelf. The room was clean and airy. We had one problem! The TV what was there on arrival went missing when we went back into the room 2 hours later! I called the reception and the lady said she was sorry but with no explanation why it went missing and bought another one to us. We found this not only strange but felt uncomfortable that once we checked into our room that someone had come in and removed the TV!
However the food nice and service was good.
Breakfast was plentiful with a good choice of cereals, fruit etc.

Room Tip: The studio rooms are away from the hotel and more quiet
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Clare D, Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank you for giving your feed back, we are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. I have looked into the TV situation & this was due to your TV being faulty. Our Head HK discovered that you had no signal during a room check & had asked for your TV to be changed. There was a delay between the faulty one being removed & the working one being put into your room.

I am sorry that this was not explained to you at the time.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

After a very long drive to Lamphey we were relieved to find a nice looking hotel, nice clean room and a helpful lady behind reception. All was going well until we went down for dinner. Two staff members, one who was obviously new and had no idea what to do. The table had no cutlery. I asked for risotto as a starter rather than main course and was told no. I ordered soup instead and had eaten almost all of it before I managed to get someone to bring us bread. My partner ordered steak, no steak knife. The food itself was quite nice but the whole dining experience was ruined by the poor service. People around us were also experiencing the same, eg. Being given a platter of bread and tapas and no plates.
The following day breakfast was better, so we headed out sightseeing and hoped it was a one off. Arrived back to find a wedding in full swing. Our key card wouldn't work so my partner went down to sort it. Despite having a hotel full of people there was no one on reception for quite some time. He had to find someone in the bar to sort it.
We had hoped for a quiet afternoon but the fire alarm went off twice over the next couple of hours.
We decided to not risk the restaurant and have room service instead. My partner went to get a menu. Again no one on reception and this time no one on the bar. Someone behind the wall at the reception desk was being told off. A menu? Well here's one but it sure if its tonight's! Then it was decided it probably was so brought it up for us to decide. We ordered. An hour later, no food. When it eventually arrived it was nice food but again, ruined as we had gone past eating.
The wedding was in full swing still with music pounding, guests shouting, doors slamming. At 4am we had a woman banging at our door asking for someone called Michelle! I realise this isn't the fault of the hotel but it just topped things off. We skipped breakfast. The breakfast room was jam packed with wedding guests and we had had enough. Even though we had paid extra for late checkout, we left. We had to stop en route home to eat.
The hotel has such potential. Nice location, nicely decorated, good food. The spa is lovely. It is such a shame. I have looked at reviews over the last couple years and the lack of service is consistently complained about. It would appear that there has been lots of opportunity to put things right. It really was comically bad. Fawlty Towers lives on!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
2  Thank Cagsy62

Thank you for taking your time to give feed back on your stay. I am sorry you felt the service was not to standard, we do have a new team as many of our regular restaurant team have returned to university or collage, I am sorry this resulted in you receiving poor service.

The fire alarm did go off on 2 separate occasions due to another guest, however the disruption was minimal & the alarm sounded for no more than 2 min as we found the cause very quickly.

With regards to the wedding party, the music stopped at midnight & all guests where in their rooms before I left at 1.30am. I am sorry you where disturbed and that you did not contact our night porter to report the problem.

I would love for you to return a see that this is not the norm, we are constantly using guest feed back to improve our guest services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamphey
Lamphey Hall Hotel
Atlantic Hotel
Atlantic Hotel
#3 of 23 in Tenby
The Gower Hotel and Orangery Restaurant

Been to Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!