“A Bit Like Faulty Towers”

Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lamphey
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed for two nights as a group of 60 people. The room was good and warm. everyone is friendly. However there is a serious issue with staff training and organisation in the restaurant. For dinner the tables were not set out correctly in that 1/2 pint beer glasses for water and no wine glasses which were eventually brought but of four different sizes with only one glass per diner. The white wine was warm and returned. The second bottle was also warm and requested an ice bucket and ice; only a handful of ice in the bucket and asked for more ice which was brought without question but could have no more as all ice used! Another diner asked for an extra bread roll and after several times of asking and 10 minutes later it arrived to be told it was the last roll in the hotel. We had champagne at the table but the glasses were of 3 different sizes. The quality of the food was poor and only one course served at a time to all tables so someone who ordered a fourth choice on the menu had to wait 20 minutes for their food by which time the first serving had gone cold. There was no organisation where one table should be served at a time and completed. A wake up call was requested by a the room next door but instead of phoning to wake the guest someone hammered on their door waking several people. At breakfast we requested yoghurt to be told it was coming, thinking it was coming from the kitchen. After several requests we were told she had made phone calls but the lorry had not arrived with the yoghurt!
The hotel has nice views but is really at Pembroke ( about 2 miles away ) whereas it is 5 miles from Tenby.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the hotel main building not in the annexe as there is an outdoor walk to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank GordonW318

Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is a great hotel and is in a really good location. I was on a break for a few days and chose it as it is a Best Western. The room was really nice and the hotel is amazing. The food in the restaurant was very good and wasn't disappointed at all. We ate in every night and didn't feel we had to go somewhere else. The staff were friendly and polite and very helpful.
There is a nice lounge area to sit and read and just relax.
There is a spa attached to the hotel as well and I was able t use the gym which has a good selection of equipment. The pool is a fair size although I didn't use it.
I was on a hiking break and was able to walk from the hotel to the Pembroke Coastal walk and then along the coast. The town of Tenby is nearby and has great selection or pubs and Restaurants, Pembroke is also nearer but only has a castle worth visiting.
Overall I was able to relax and really enjoyed the break, it is very quiet location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Clare D, Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Firstly Thank you for your feed back, I have passed it onto all the team. I hope that other traveler's will see that we have improved our restaurant service standards & share your views on Lamphey Court & the team.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have stayed many times at this hotel over the past few years and I have recommended it for good food to a number of people. On previous visits the food has been of a high quality and some of the best in the area, however on my recent visit this wasnt the case and I was disappointed. I was told that the chef had changed.

Dinner was satisfactory at best, we had missing items from our courses and the quality was just ok. Breakfast wasnt much better, watery scrambled egg and visrtully no smoked salmon.

The other features of the hotel were good, the rooms and common areas need some refurbishment but the gym and spa are very good.

Room Tip: Executive doubles have more room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank celtic59

Firstly Thank you for your feed back, I hope you will accept that this was due to changes in the kitchen team and can assure you that our head Chef has addressed this and the food quality that you have experienced previously is now available.

We hope to see you and your friend return to enjoy this once again.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We went here for my brother's wedding anniversary, 46 years, surely something to celebrate but the service and food wEre teRrible. Cod on a bed of creamed leeks for £17 which arrived as a piece of cod and a few tomatoes. Not a leek insight! When we complained the service became worse! We wanted to sample a pudding one night, but nothing was available by the time we came to choose, we weren't even offered ice cream!

Nice rooms, but avoid the restaurant. We ate in the conservatory each night and the food had to travel from the other side of the complex,

Please sort this out, the food was not acceptable and the service was well below par.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else to eat!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jo P P

Thank you for taking time to feed back on your stay, I was disappointed to hear that you where not happy with the meal you received, I have checked with the Restaurant Supervisor & Head chef and the dish your referred to dose not seem to be on our previous menu's, however I have informed them both of your comments and they apologies if there was any unintentional miss communication on the menu.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed in one of the ground floor studios, 238, for one night while I was working at the local power station. I'd stayed before and so forgetting my swimming kit was entirely my own fault. The studio comprises a hall with wardrobe (containing an ironing board), a bathroom with bath (short but deep), and a double bedroom large enough to be comfortable.

The bed is very soft and not as supportive as I'm used to. Initially feeling a little in need of airing by the time I'd made a cup of coffee and eaten all the biscuits it was fine. There are a lot of light switches... Something to consider when bedtime comes around! There is plenty of car parking right outside the studio. The free internet connected easily and gave fast reliable service.

I are in the restaurant but from the bar menus. The burger was really good and the chips and onion rings were lovely. Bottled beer was not overpriced. In the morning, the breakfast was ok too. Cereals and croissants were fresh, fruit juices could be better but ok, and the main breakfast well cooked, the coffee good and the wait wasn't long. Checkout was easy.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank incredibish
Clare D, Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay with us, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed there for 3 weeks nearly in a row (only spending the first week end at home): Here below are the different pleasant or unpleasant experiences I had with this hotel; as a professional auditor I do try to remain objective. At the beginning of my stay I considered applying for the Best Western privileged guest card but after the first two days I gave up the idea. I must mention that I was not auditing this hotel but staying there in order to audit a different company. I had chosen the hotel because it was not too far from the place I had to go everyday; the booking was done through a travel agent.
- Upon arrival in my room on the first day, I noticed that the toilet flush was not properly functioning and I reported this to the desk lady. She promised that it would be fixed; the second day, after I noticed nothing had been fixed, I complained again and I got the same promise, the third day, the same, and so on…Friendly and promising but totally inefficient. Finally, before leaving for the week-end, I stressed that upon my coming back on the Sunday night back I wanted a different room. They recorded my request and when I came back on Sunday they were happy to give me the same room…I started to look around to check whether there were hidden camera (may be they were making fun of me ?). I refused the room and they gave me a big one with toilets that were working…
- I used twice the laundry service : the first time it took 2 full days to get my clothes back and they returned half wet in a garbage bag. There is no need to mention the ironing. The second time they were returned to me the same day, dry and properly folded. At least they didn’t charge this service as I discovered when paying the bill.
- The internet access works pretty well and doesn’t need any access code. On the other hand there is none in the vicinity except the hotel’s guests…
- The surrounding is very quiet except for the talktive raven and the sheeps that some time express orally their thoughts.
- In the room I had for the second part of my stay, the mirror in the bathroom was above the heater but not above the sink, which was facing the heater…interesting design when you have to shave…There were alive spiders (with their webs) above one bed so I chose the other one, hoping that the house keeping would raise their eyes and kick them out. No. Probably they were privileged guest and they stayed the whole time of my stay.
- The food in the restaurants was most of the time nice and the service generally good (it seems their restaurant is quite popular so it is better to let them a little while in advance if you are going to eat there).
- For my last two days I was relocated to a huge and cold house because, for some reason I still don’t understand, my booking had been cancelled. So the hotel had packed up my stuff and when I returned from work I was kindly informed that my room had been given to another guest and that I had to stay in that remote house, alone. They apologized a lot and I was assured that there would be no difference and that my room would be serviced the same way as before. Although I opened the heater, it remained cold…like the weather. The next morning, no hot water at all in the bathroom…I informed the reception and they promised that I would get some in the evening. In the evening, the room and bathroom had not been cleaned…and there was no hot water. Thanks God it was my last day. When I checked out, they didn’t ask if the stay was ok…
- If you don’t like old fashion furniture and design this place is not for you.
As a general summary this is definitely not a place for business travelers (hotel is VERY far from this standard), probably more suitable for retired hikers who stay there for only a couple of days.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Alexandre J
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Basically I decided to stay at this hotel because I often stay at another hotel in the Best Western family that always provides us a quality room and good food for a reasonable rate and the Lamphey Court Hotel proved to be a great selection.

The hotel is located just off the A4139 main road in the small Pembrokeshire village of Lamphey and adjacent to the Lamphey Bishop’s Palace medieval monument. Its façade is truly impressive and there’s plenty of onsite parking all around the hotel.

Our arrival was a quiet affair and the formality of checking in was carried out with efficiency. We were staying in the main building and our first (upper) floor room was reached via a series of passageways, typical of older established 19th century converted buildings. Our deluxe room was spacious with a generous wardrobe and additional drawers for all our belongings and complete with all the furnishings required for a few days stay. The large double bed was extremely comfortable and both my wife and myself enjoyed three excellent nights sleep. Tea and coffee making facilities were also provided as were biscuits and still and sparkling bottled water. Housekeeping was also of the first order and our room and bathroom were always spotless and well presented following the daily make-up.

Breakfast was taken in the breakfast room, a bright and airy un-crowded space to the right of reception. On offer were a good selection of cold buffet items together with cooked to order hot breakfast items and lashings of fresh tea and coffee. All breakfast foods were a delight and the waiting staff could not have been more friendly and helpful.

Dinner was always taken in the Conservatory Restaurant and reservations had to be made with reception to avoid over-crowding at busy periods. That said, from what we experienced everything seemed to run like clockwork and all comers appeared to get seated without delay. The menus (one fixed one changed daily) while not overly extensive were surprisingly good and the food served was tasty and very enjoyable. Service was provided at a leisurely pace and once seated you could enjoy dinner at your speed and not the speed of the next diner. I can honestly say that the quality of our meals over the three nights we were there was truly wonderful. It was well presented, unpretentious and flavoursome and all served up on very warm plates and tureens in a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. Wonderful.

There is also a spa and fitness centre but we did not make use of these facilities so we cannot comment on them further.

Getting to the bottom line now… would I stay here again? Absolutely at any time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Clare D, Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay with us here at Lamphey Court.

Your comments have been passed to the team and we are glad that we where able to make your stay comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamphey
Lamphey Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burton
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Pembroke Dock

Been to Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!