“Beautiful location but disappointing service”

Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lamphey
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is the first review I have ever written on trip advisor. However, after my recent visit I wanted to leave some feedback.

I have recently returned from a trip to the Lamphey Court Hotel. The hotel is in a beautiful part of the Welsh countryside. It could be a fantastic hotel but unfortunately there was a number of issues I encountered during my stay.

The reception we received on arrival was absolutely appalling. We were greeted by a Spanish lady who appeared to know very little about the hotel. This was not a big issue for me but there was another person who worked in the hotel who I thought was very rude and unwelcoming. My main issues were:

a) My wife is 5 months pregnant but I want left to carry 4 bags by myself. No offer was given to help with the bags
b) No idea if WiFi was available
c) Only given one key card
d) Were given no information on any facilities in the grounds or the surrounding area
e) Only one towel in the bathroom.

We did request an additional key card and towel at a later date which was delivered promptly. If it had only been one or two issues it would not have been a problem. However having such an unwelcoming arrival with all these issues was very frustrating. Also I realise that we could have asked for all these things. However, you shouldn't need to!!

Meals
The meals overall were ok. The portions of food were generally too large and I felt there was more focus on quantity of food than quality. However, there were a couple of dishes that were reasonably nice. As it is noted below the delivery of the meals was hectic/very disorganised.

Staff
My overall view of the staff was that they were not very well trained. The breakfast and dinner times felt extremely disorganised. It could take a long time to get served and the more junior members of staff were not able to engage with the customers. The other issue is that on a number of occasions I heard the staff criticising the customers. Also the more senior staff members would also openly criticise other staff members. This is extremely unprofessional and not what I expect to experience in a 4 star hotel.

I have been very critical about the staff, which I believe is fair. However, the service did get a bit better towards the end of the week. My overwhelming feeling though is that the staff were not given enough training or shown enough leadership about the way to run a hotel.

Room/facilities
Overall I thought the room was of a reasonably quality. The carpet was a bit dated but the room was a good size and had a very nice view. The bathroom I thought needed to be upgraded as it also felt a bit dated. One other point in our ground floor room it felt like the people above were going to fall through the roof. I have never experienced this before but it made for a very disturbed sleep which was a particular issue for my wife.

On the site there was a gym and spa facilities which I really enjoyed. The staff at the spa were very helpful and welcoming. The gym had a reasonable range of cardio machines and weights for the keen gym goer.

Overall I was very disappointed with the level of service that we received during our stay. In my view it is critical that a customer is made to feel welcome on their arrival. This did definitely not happen in our case. Whatever the reason for this (I believe they may have had some IT issues) it is completely unacceptable. I still had a great time in the area as it is a beautiful part of Wales but unfortunately this was not due to the Lamphey Court hotel.

5  Thank rs08252014b
Lamphey C, General Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Mr and Mrs Guy, thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry for the issues you encountered on arrival and during your stay. Would you be able to give me a call to discuss your points as there are some particular points I would like to understand more so they may be addressed.
Ivan Curtis

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Relaxing, chilled out time spent at this hotel, which is set in it's own grounds, lovely walks and local village with pub in walking distance. Room was spacious (room 12), comfortable bed and bathroom facilities very good. We were booked on Amazon deal with dinner included on both nights - all food was excellent including breakfast. Added bonus was the spa facilities. Staff are very welcoming and friendly. Will definitely return for another stay.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Three of us on a Travelzoo deal. Just as well as service v poor. Coffee on arrival took 40 mins to then be told coffee machine was broken.
Despite having booked 3 treatments together at 1000 and another 3 at 1400, two of the party got both at 1030. Lack of communication, co-ordination and management.

Actual treatments were lovely and spa staff sweet, but sadly not able to recommend the experience!!

Also look out for the v slippery floors in the changing room.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Helebod
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our second time to stay at Lamphey Court & we are already planning our third for next year which will be for a longer duration.
Staff are very helpful & friendly & we had a room in the main building this time which was very comfortable & spacious (room 11). Our stay was just what we needed with a complete relax in beautiful surroundings & we couldn't fault a thing.
We enjoyed lovely walks at Bosherton & Stackpole with some fab nights out in Tenby for lovely meals to finish the days.

1  Thank Angelstaffordshire
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Travelled here as a couple, just for a couple of nights to get a "taste" of the area. Stunning first impression, beautiful grounds and hotel . Was disappointed that we were not in the actual hotel, as we had requested, but they were fully booked, so we were put in a one bedroom apartment 230.. This comprised bathroom, unnecessary kitchen (for us )- not equipped, lounge and bedroom. Comfortable bed and very clean, although at some time one of the residents had been of the canine variety, as the lounge chair had a very "doggy" aroma! not great as my husband has asthma.
Food and service was excellent, thoroughly enjoyed dinner and breakfast, followed by a pleasant stroll up to the village.
Swimming pool was beautiful, having lovely views down across open countryside.
Perfect location for several excursions, our favourite being Stackpole, also Pembroke Castle.
We would definitely stay again, but hopefully in the actual main hotel building

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 230, tired and bit noisy mornings when deliveries to kitchen arrive
1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked this hotel as they accept Tastecard giving you 50% off your food bill. The hotel is in beautiful parkland and has a conservatory extension and a spa.
We went on a Thursday evening when there were quite a few residents dining with us and a big function in another room in the hotel.
The result was much slower service than you would normally expect.Three staff absences did not help matters and it was 'all hands to the pumps' with all staff helping with service and clearing.
The food was good and served hot (and on hot plates which is a must for me)..though a shortage of water jugs meant having to ask for regular 'top ups'.
I will go again and hope to pick a quieter evening, or possibly lunch , with 50% off it is a bargain

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight
1  Thank John P
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Exterior appearance of hotel is attractive and the hotel is in a nice location for exploring the Pembrokeshire coast. The lobby, rooms and restaurant are clean and attractively furnished but most of the fittings are old and the rooms especially are showing signs of their age. The beds are not at all comfortable and if you book a double room you'll get two beds bolted together, even in a superior room. Having stayed several times the superior rooms are really not worth the extra. What really lets this hotel down is the below average service in the restaurant and at breakfast. When the restaurant is open the service is slow at best but moreover the opening times are poor for a hotel charging the price that this one does. Breakfast is cooked to order but it takes forever, even when the hotel is not busy. hard to understand why as well because its not as if the portions are generous. There aren't too many hotels in the area but its hard to justify the inflated prices this one charges.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank whitehm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamphey
Lamphey Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burton
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Pembroke Dock

Been to Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!