“A lovely relaxing stay in a classic hotel”

Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lamphey
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for two nights with our toddler as a rest on our travels before taking the ferry from Pembroke onwards to Ireland. The hotel is lovely, old fashioned in the nicest meaning of the word. We stayed in a family room in the main hotel - if I was staying again I'd probably ask for a ground floor room as there isn't a lift to bring up the buggy, but as it wasn't something we asked about or mentioned it's not an issue with the hotel.
There was lots of space for our little boy to run around, he loved all the sheep and horses in the fields out the back and front of the hotel, and the treehouse too. The hours for the swimming pool with kids are pretty limited, if this is a priority for children it's worth making sure the hours suit. That said, there's a fabulous beach about 4 minutes drive away, at Freshwater East, and Tenby is a fabulous seaside resort within 15 minutes drive too.
The staff were very helpful, accommodating us when we didn't want to eat in the main restaurant and whisking up a plate of pasta out of thin air when our little fella was shouting for something to eat ASAP. We ate out on the patio overlooking the rolling fields of sheep grazing, and the food was very tasty both nights. The dinner menu isn't available until 6.30, again the strict times are worth making yourself aware of if earlier dining is a priority. The cooked breakfast was absolutely delicious both days, and the coffee was freshly brewed and very tasty.
The room itself was very spacious, there was no air con but fans are available from reception. We could hear some noise, maybe from the plumbing or something, but the bed was so comfy that we didn't notice it after a few minutes and had two great nights' sleep.
The swimming pool/spa area is totally modern, in contrast with the old fashioned charm of the hotel. It's maintained spotlessly, I was very happy with it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Make sure you are booked into the main hotel as we booked through booking.com and were given a Studio room which consisted of a kitchen which the bathroom was the end of! There was a minute sitting room which housed the dressing table which should have been in the bedroom if there was room!! The bedroom was very small, dark and smelled musty!! I complained as my booking stated a hotel room not studio! The main hotel was across the car park! There was no hot water in the taps either! Our overall experience was dreadful so we checked out after being there for 1 hour as I could not stay in the dreadful studio as we were told the hotel was fully booked. Please ring the hotel before you go to ensure you they don't allocate a studio room to you as they said this is their standard room!!!!

1  Thank FrankieDan
Lamphey C, General Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Frankie. thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were not happy with your room when you arrived at Lamphey. I understand you did speak with Reception and it is unfortunate we were full and unable to offer you an alternative solution. The rooms in the stables are very popular and do vary in size and are by no means the poor relation to those in the hotel. I would hope that in time you would consider revisiting Lamphey and we will ensure you have a room in the main hotel.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Needed to relax and that is what we got. Studio room away from main hotel big enough to live in. The view from the stairs.... stunning. Use of the spa facilities a bonus. The village a lovely stroll and the locals very friendly. The food was good and the service good. Short drive from some of the most iconic Welsh places to visit.The only complaint was the shower didn't work properly.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed in the Lamphey Court for one night.

The positives:
- Beautiful setting and scenery.
- Swimming pool was nice and housed in a nice building.
-lovely treehouse in front of hotel which children loved.

The negatives:
- the restaurant food was terrible. We had dinner for four people on night of our stay and the food was expensive and very poor.
- the restaurant service, both at dinner and breakfast, was very poor.
- we stayed in a studio suite which was extremely dated and smelled musty. There was no hot water in the morning.
-the spa was closed for the week, no prior notice of this when booking.

Overall, for the price we paid, I would not recommend to eat dinner in this hotel or stay in a family suite. Expect poor service.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is the first review I have ever written on trip advisor. However, after my recent visit I wanted to leave some feedback.

I have recently returned from a trip to the Lamphey Court Hotel. The hotel is in a beautiful part of the Welsh countryside. It could be a fantastic hotel but unfortunately there was a number of issues I encountered during my stay.

The reception we received on arrival was absolutely appalling. We were greeted by a Spanish lady who appeared to know very little about the hotel. This was not a big issue for me but there was another person who worked in the hotel who I thought was very rude and unwelcoming. My main issues were:

a) My wife is 5 months pregnant but I want left to carry 4 bags by myself. No offer was given to help with the bags
b) No idea if WiFi was available
c) Only given one key card
d) Were given no information on any facilities in the grounds or the surrounding area
e) Only one towel in the bathroom.

We did request an additional key card and towel at a later date which was delivered promptly. If it had only been one or two issues it would not have been a problem. However having such an unwelcoming arrival with all these issues was very frustrating. Also I realise that we could have asked for all these things. However, you shouldn't need to!!

Meals
The meals overall were ok. The portions of food were generally too large and I felt there was more focus on quantity of food than quality. However, there were a couple of dishes that were reasonably nice. As it is noted below the delivery of the meals was hectic/very disorganised.

Staff
My overall view of the staff was that they were not very well trained. The breakfast and dinner times felt extremely disorganised. It could take a long time to get served and the more junior members of staff were not able to engage with the customers. The other issue is that on a number of occasions I heard the staff criticising the customers. Also the more senior staff members would also openly criticise other staff members. This is extremely unprofessional and not what I expect to experience in a 4 star hotel.

I have been very critical about the staff, which I believe is fair. However, the service did get a bit better towards the end of the week. My overwhelming feeling though is that the staff were not given enough training or shown enough leadership about the way to run a hotel.

Room/facilities
Overall I thought the room was of a reasonably quality. The carpet was a bit dated but the room was a good size and had a very nice view. The bathroom I thought needed to be upgraded as it also felt a bit dated. One other point in our ground floor room it felt like the people above were going to fall through the roof. I have never experienced this before but it made for a very disturbed sleep which was a particular issue for my wife.

On the site there was a gym and spa facilities which I really enjoyed. The staff at the spa were very helpful and welcoming. The gym had a reasonable range of cardio machines and weights for the keen gym goer.

Overall I was very disappointed with the level of service that we received during our stay. In my view it is critical that a customer is made to feel welcome on their arrival. This did definitely not happen in our case. Whatever the reason for this (I believe they may have had some IT issues) it is completely unacceptable. I still had a great time in the area as it is a beautiful part of Wales but unfortunately this was not due to the Lamphey Court hotel.

5  Thank rs08252014b
Lamphey C, General Manager at Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Mr and Mrs Guy, thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry for the issues you encountered on arrival and during your stay. Would you be able to give me a call to discuss your points as there are some particular points I would like to understand more so they may be addressed.
Ivan Curtis

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Relaxing, chilled out time spent at this hotel, which is set in it's own grounds, lovely walks and local village with pub in walking distance. Room was spacious (room 12), comfortable bed and bathroom facilities very good. We were booked on Amazon deal with dinner included on both nights - all food was excellent including breakfast. Added bonus was the spa facilities. Staff are very welcoming and friendly. Will definitely return for another stay.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Three of us on a Travelzoo deal. Just as well as service v poor. Coffee on arrival took 40 mins to then be told coffee machine was broken.
Despite having booked 3 treatments together at 1000 and another 3 at 1400, two of the party got both at 1030. Lack of communication, co-ordination and management.

Actual treatments were lovely and spa staff sweet, but sadly not able to recommend the experience!!

Also look out for the v slippery floors in the changing room.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Helebod
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamphey
Lamphey Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burton
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
Cleddau Bridge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Pembroke Dock

Been to Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!