“Wonderful place”
Review of Lamphey Hall Hotel

Lamphey Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lamphey
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Buildings and rooms: Old, cozy (traditional style) and in excellent condition with new bathroom.
Very nice and friendly staff - personal service and making good relations and atmosphere.
Excellent food, both the included breakfast and the lunch & dinner - good variation (for every taste), everything perfectly made - really delicious at very decent cost.

I'm sure I will come back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Andrewjones1990_12, Owner at Lamphey Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lamphey Hall.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

We do try to cater for all tastes in our restaurant, serving homemade food, which we feel makes all the difference.

All of your compliments have been passed on to the staff.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I felt I should share my review regarding the food and service at the lamphey hall.
My husband and I decided to try this restaurant out as we have eaten in most of the restaurants within Pembrokeshire... this has to be the best!!
We had a very warm welcome from the staff and the food served to us was extremely fresh and delicious. my husband had a surf and turf where he commented was the best steak he had ever had and was cooked exactly to his preference.
We were never rushed to finish even though the restaurant was busy, quite the opposite
Great atmosphere and we will be returning
exquisite

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tara C

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Lamphey Hall

We are thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable time with us.

Wherever possible we serve local, fresh, organic produce, which we feel adds to the rich flavours in our dishes.

Your comments have been passed on to all staff and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Delicious food in a lovely setting with friendly staff who welcome you and nothing is too much trouble - a lovely experience and highly recommended. A good choice of a set menu or a la carte all being outstanding value and lots of local produce on offer.

Room Tip: We only visited to eat
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wilbur65

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lamphey Hall.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Lamphey Hall so much.

As you mention, wherever possible we only use the freshest local produce, which we feel adds the the rich flavours of our homemade dishes.

Your compliments have been passed on to all members of staff.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We visited Lamphey Hall as recommended by our friends who run another great restaurant locally and were very impressed. The decor is old and quaint ,with a cosy feel about it. We were looking for a nice place to take our freinds from the USA on their last night with us and this was ideal.
There was plenty to choose from on the menu and we were all pleased with our choice of meals. The service was great ,staff were all lovely. The lady who greeted us at reception made our night and should be on a stage ,very loud but so funny !
I can't wait to go back !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Andrewjones1990_12, Owner at Lamphey Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Lamphey Hall.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your evening with us so much.

Our chefs are passionate about using only the freshest, local ingredients, which we feel comes across in the rich flavours of our food.

We hope to welcome you again in the very near future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Arrived at about 3pm Friday to check in, only to be "greeted" by a young man facing backwards in the reception chair, much too engrossed in his mobile phone to even notice me arrive despite the creaking floor boards and my trundling suitcase. I had to loudly greet him to get his attention - and even when he turned around in the chair, he rudely tried to finish off whatever he was doing on his phone and so was only half paying attention to what I was saying. Consequently, he failed to find my room reservation as he was looking in the wrong book, thinking I had booked a table instead. Luckily, a female colleague appeared and enquired if I was being served, at which point she duly pointed out my booking to the young man and took over the check-in process with much more professionalism. I was eventually presented with the key for my "Executive Room" but there was clearly a clue that it would not match an executive standard by the fact it was attached to a cheap pink plastic hand-scribbled key tag, rather than the red embossed ones used for other rooms.

The "Executive" bedroom was large with dark wood furniture but the dressing table and mirror almost obscured the window (helping to hide the ugly flat roof and ventilation ducts), so making the room quite dark. There were several large lipstick marks on the carpet and other dubious stains. The mattress was firm and the linen crisp and white, although there was a stain or iron burn on the bedspread. A built-in wardrobe with louvre door looked a bit scruffy and so I didn't risk hanging up my clothes in it. There were several holes in the plasterboard wall adjacent to the room door and a tatty hair drier hanging up which would have been better hidden away.

The large bathroom was a complete contrast, a huge window flooded the room with light and good quality bathing and sanitary ware gave a very clean and modern feel. Unfortunately, the bathroom also has some failings...there are no hooks to hang a towel by the shower or bath - and I didn't feel tempted to put it on the musty upholstered chair which had ripped webbing hanging down from it. There are also no hooks or brackets on which to hang up shower gel or place a bar of soap onto. There was a squashed moth by the wall light above the basin which wasn't removed for the entirety of my stay and the toilet brush was housed in a rusty old holder. There were two pull cords for the ceiling lights and wall lights which were tied together - but which didn't always work in unison, so requiring one or the other cord to be pulled separately from above to switch the required light on or off - a very amateur solution. Whilst the bath and shower had good water flow, the hot water in the basin was barely a trickle. I reported this the next morning as it made washing and shaving very laborious. However, it was still the same by the next day and when I reminded them at reception, I was told that they thought I meant that the tap was leaking. So another day passed and still nothing was done by even the following morning - but by this time I discovered that the Jacuzzi didn't work either - one of the selling points of the "Executive" room. Rather belatedly, I was told that they couldn't get hold of the plumber over the Bank Holiday - but certainly wasn't offered a reduction in the room rate to make up for the this.

Breakfast was tasty and filling, albeit toast was usually served underdone and bananas were over ripe. I didn't try lunch or dinner but as it appears many non-residents dine at the hotel, the food must fairly reasonable to match the prices charged. There is a large laminated notice indicating "Accessible Toilet" - but the corridor leading to it was all but obstructed by dining chairs, a sideboard and a bin behind the door - all of which I had to ask to be removed in order to allow my (visiting) Mother to get through with a wheelchair - a very unacceptable situation, notwithstanding the toilet itself is in sore need of modernising. Finally, whilst the bed was comfortable, I was woken several times with the sound of a dog barking - it was only upon my return home that I read the hotel allows dogs - but clearly other guests should be entitled to undisturbed sleep or to know if pets have stayed in particular rooms - as maybe this accounts for some of the carpet stains in my room and I should have perhaps been given the choice of whether I wanted to stay in a room that previously had pets.

All in all, a disappointing stay when attention to detail is warranted by the room rates being charged by the hotel - and there is no excuse for facilities not working.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank DieselDen
Andrewjones1990_12, Owner at Lamphey Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lamphey Hall.

We are very disappointed to hear that we did not live up to our usually high standards to which we can only apologise.

The young man that greeted you on your arrival is not one of our reception staff and should not have attempted to check you into the hotel, this is something that he has been reprimanded over.

Our executive room does ordinarily have its own red key ring, however the guests that had stayed before you had accidentally taken the key home and unfortunately we were still awaiting their arrival in the post.

Thank you for your comments regarding the hooks in the bathroom, these issues have been addressed. In regards to the comments regarding the water pressure from the tap, please accept our apologies for the misunderstanding when reporting the problem to reception, this has since been rectified as has the problem with the jacuzzi.

We have taken on board your comments regarding our accessible toilet and the furniture has been moved. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

In response to the stains on the carpet and the moth in the bathroom, the housekeeping staff in question have been identified and appropriate action has been taken

We can only apologise for the disturbance of a dog barking in another room. Unfortunately although we do allow pets into the hotel we are unable to stop them making noise once they are in residence. We do only have a few rooms that we allow animals to stay in and the executive room is not one of them.

Once again please accept our sincere apologies,

Kind regards

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed at Lamphey Hall for the night following attendance at the funeral of a very dear friend. On such occasions everything need to be right, and apart from a dog barking in a neighbouring room as we were trying to get to sleep, it was. The food could not be faulted, with a very good choice of dishes (especially fish) well cooked and presented. The bedroom was roomy and with a nice en suite bathroom. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, from Hotel Manager to trainee waiters.

Room Tip: Book early to get a good room as they are not all equally well fitted out. We were late vbooking but...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We pride ourselves on attention to detail and making sure that all of our guests enjoy a warm welcome, making Lamphey Hall a home from home.

Our chefs are committed to only using the freshest, local ingredients and cooking food to order.

We hope to see you again in the future, hopefully under happier circumstances.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We have just returned from an evening meal at Lamphey Hall and felt strongly enough to write a review. This use to be one of the best restaurants in the county and we were looking forward to a lovely meal. Unfortunately the service was awful and the food was obviously heated up in a microwave. Definitely not worth the restaurant prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Welsh L

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Lamphey Hall.

We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us.

I can assure you that none of our food is heated in a microwave, we only use the freshest, local ingredients in all of our dishes and cooking food to order.

We pride ourselves on attention to detail and good customer service, clearly on this occasion we have not lived up to our own very high standards on this occasion.

Your comments have been passed on to our kitchen and to our front of house team and we are investigating the short comings of this evening.

If you wish to discuss your complaint any further please do not hesitate to contact the hotel.

Please accept our apologies,

Kind regards,

Andrew Jones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamphey
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Pembroke Dock
Coach House Hotel
Coach House Hotel
#4 of 4 in Pembroke

Been to Lamphey Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!