“Excellent food”

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Postcode: SK17 9QJ
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

The best place to eat bar none. The food is great staff are friendly. There is a massive choice of specials on the board. You will need to book ax it gets full regulary.

1  Thank Terry F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Just off the Ashbourne to Buxton road by the Tissington Trail is this welcoming dining pub. Really friendly people, good quality home prepared food using local suppliers, varied menu, generous portions, reasonable prices, real ales and an open fire - what more could you ask?

1  Thank Tigersfan
Reviewed 9 December 2012

The food at this pub is always brilliant. The menu is very extensive so there is always something for everyone no matter what their tastes are (also has some coeliac and gluten free options) Good selection of beers and wines and as it's winter there were mulled wine and cider available (very tasty!) The main part of the pub has an open fire which makes the place feel welcoming. We have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed with the food. If I had a complaint at all it would be the portion sizes - they are huge! In order to manage a dessert I had to leave half my meal (it wasn't wasted though, it was kindly wrapped in foil so I could take it home to savour the next day!) It always seems to be busy here so booking is recommended

1  Thank PAULENEHighPeakUk
Reviewed 28 November 2012

At last a decent pub! The Royal Oak at Hurdlow. We were warmly welcomed by a super efficient and very friendly young lady who arranged our drinks and told us to sit where we liked and brought the menus to us. The four ales on pump were all local except for the Cornish Doombar, and served at the proper temperature and not icy cold as in other pubs we had visited. As it was my turn to drive I could only sample one which was excellent.
As for the food I had taken a recommendation from the Peak District Food & Drink guide and ordered the Beef & Stilton pie It did not disappoint and lived up to its recommendation as being ‘humungous’ (not a word in my vocabulary) and was as delicious as large with home made chips and veg. My wife had slow cooked Lamb Shank which was equally large and delicious.
We spent the evening perusing the menu deciding what we will have the next time we called. As we live nearly 200 miles away we agreed we must have a fortnight staying up here a call every night!
I finished the meal by being greedy, as I really had no room left, and had had the sticky toffee pudding, which was also recommended in the guide. Again home made and excellent. How the reviewer in the guide managed a starter as well I’ll never know. The staff, all young ladies, were very pleasant, chatty and helpful and looked after not just us but everyone in the pub very well – what a great experience. No wonder its one of Peak Districts favourite pubs, and one of mine now.

1  Thank NorbertSandhurst
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This a great place I will be visiting again and again.The portions are big no need to have the starters just share one with friends.The menu is large so I think some must be cooked from frozen but good anyway.relaxed no rush to get you out.Very efficient service just wish it was closer to our home.There is space in a field outside to camp not tied that yet,maybe a plan for 2013.I here the breakfast is worth a try! Have a good walk first and treat yourselve to a feast.