“Disappointing”

Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A 15th century Coaching inn, with parts dating back at least a thousand years. An old farmhouse, much enlarged in the 1400s, The Bull i' th' thorn has welcomed weary travellers for many hundreds of years. Set in 15 acres of Peak District Parkland, with 4 Dining Rooms, outside seating, 360 degree views of the Peaks and Valleys, stuiffed with over 10,000 antique and curios items, including 5 GrandFather clocks - one dating back to 1741, with muskets, armour and armamentsdating from the Civil War. A great range of beers, wines, spirits and food, from snacks to gourmet specials from the "Specials Board". Also Medieval Feasts, Ghost Hunts - by arrangement, B & N accommodation in our 4poster and Victorian bedrooms. New owner jane townsend awaits your visit. Please call in and see us!!
Measham, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We were 4 adults and 2 children staying nearby in Monyash (Spingle Barn is a MUST!) and came to the pub for a Groupon lunch deal treat. The pub itself is very run down so being a nice day, we sat outside for a pre lunch drink and for the children to play. The outside was also quite neglected with nothing for children, so they went in and enjoyed playing on the pool table. The Groupon deal was for a main course, with either a starter or a dessert. Two of us chose starters, a mezze and a cheesy garlic bread, both of which were fine. The main courses came and 5 of them were fine, but my King Prawn Garlic Lemon & Chilli Tagliatelli was a disaster. When we ordered it they said did explain they had run out of Tagliatelli so it would come with spaghhetti instead. OK I thought. When the dish came, far from king prawns it was a small portion of tiny previously frozen prawns which were so tough they had clearly been microwave defrosted then over cooked. The sauce was like dishwater laced with chilli. I had three mouthfulls and could eat no more. Vile. I waited for the waiter to come round (he was the only person working) but he was sat having his lunch. When he eventually came to clear the table, I said I was sorry, didn't wish to cause a problem, but could not eat the dish and he told me I should have said something sooner as his chef had now gone home and the kitchen was closed. Full stop. No apology, no offer or any replacement (I said I would be happy with just a bowl of chips). He even questioned my opinion by stating the woman opposite me had praised the very same dish! I must be stupid and not know good food when I see it. Well I certainly know a rude man when I see him. Luckily I had had the starter as further complaint would have been futile. The other adults in our party were so disgusted by my treatment that they chose not to bother with their desserts. The two children both enjoyed a dessert each whilst the waiter was then sickeningly jovial. We will NEVER return to this run down pub, and would not be in the least bit surprised to see it closed by this time next year.

3 Thank Rebecca H

Staffs
“Lovely Meal, friendly service”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Had a lovely meal, generous portions with delicious, tasty food. Staff all lovely and friendly and felt really relaxed. Lovely evening, would recommend for any event.
Thanks!!

Greece
“Delicious meal”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We visited this pub for a lunch time meal using a groupon voucher. The landlord was very friendly and polite. I had the veggie lasagne which was served with garlic bread and salad, I asked for chips too which was no problem. The whole meal was really tasty and the chips were some of the best I have tasted. The lasagne was a large portion, very tasty with lots of cheese topping. My husband had the rib eye steak with chips and peas, cabbage and carrots. He said it was very good and we both left clean plates. We both had desert, sticky toffee pudding served with a large jug of cream and bakewell tart with ice cream, again very tasty. To anyone put off eating here by bad reviews I would say give it a try the food is home made and delicious (none of your microwaved stuff here)!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“KGB deal break”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

A very warm welcome from Mick and everyone who served us, food was excellent and the breakfasts were plentiful, nothing was too much trouble for anyone. The coaching inn itself was amazing and full of character, please don't spoil it by modernization. If you think the inn is dull then you need to go to a modern, chic hotel not one like this that oozes character. Mick, a big thank you and we will definately be back.

Derby, United Kingdom
“good value”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

went on a Groupon voucher today, very friendly welcoming landlord, interesting building cosy & relaxing, good portions of well cooked fresh food chosen off the main menu, although we only live 8 miles away this was our first visit but we will be returning