Lovely old inn in a charming village (with three other pubs!). Our room was large and beautifully decorated with a lovely big, comfy bed and a dining table and chairs (it would have been good to have two bedside tables and lamps instead of just one). It overlooked the market square. There was a shower room rather than a bathroom which suited us fine. It was beautifully equipped if a little cramped: there wasn't a lot of room between the basins and the wall.
The staff were very friendly and quick to help, perhaps the younger members were a little inexperienced. We did wait a long time for our food as we didn't realise that, as we were eating in the bar, we had to give our order at the bar rather than to a waitress, however once the order was placed the food arrived promptly and was delicious. There is a large menu and long wine list (also good ale). Breakfast was very good and generous, the sausages especially tasty. It might speed things along if cereals were on a self-service basis and a toast machine would be good! Also we weren't told what the 'Full English' consisted of and had to ask if we could choose how the eggs were cooked (but again probably down to inexperience and being very busy).
Overall we had a very pleasant one night stay and would definitely recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crewe and Harpur is situated in the heart of the tranquil Peak District village of Longnor. It is rented on an exclusive use self catering basis and perfect for large groups needing lots of space for dining, socialising and or even working together. The Crewe & Harpur has 8 double/twin rooms all with beautiful en-suite bathrooms in the main building. Just outside to the rear is a courtyard with three traditional stone built cottages (a three bedroom and two, two bedroom properties). The former coaching inn has been renovated to a fabulous standard yet retains many of the original features - guests can even enjoy private use of their own 'pub'! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Crewe And Harpur Arms Hotel Longnor
- Crewe And Harpur Arms Buxton
- The Crewe & Harpur Longnor, Peak District National Park