“You feel like you are giving something back”
Review of Stenden Hotel

Stenden Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Leeuwarden
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Being a seasoned traveller, it was fortunate that I was pre-warned about the nature of the hotel and told to 'be a bit patient'. Just as well as the check in was more of a practical lesson than anything I had ever encountered before. That stated when you get to my age (51), education of the next generation is something important to consider and being able to be a small part of that process somehow gives a positive feeling of well being - like you are helping in some way.

I was accompanied to a very comfortable and well appointed room by 2 delightful young students, a young lady from Romania and a guy from Latvia. Both keen to practice English and both very engaged in what was being said - not just asking questions for the sake of making conversation if you see what I mean.

I was later joined by my friend and his partner (both locals) and we were treated to a wonderful gourmet dinner featuring many locally sourced products. Absolutely delicious.

Breakfast was also good and although slightly more than I would normally pay for a stay it was overall a wonderful experience that I would recommend to others in a heartbeat.

My only slight criticism is the distance of the rooms to the reception and rather poor signs to navigate my way back - other than that, very nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
StendenHotel, General Manager at Stenden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Martin,

We are delighted to see your positive feedback on your stay with us. We were happy to have been of service. We hope to welcome you once again in our hotel.

With kind regards,

Jorn J.D. Wisselink

There are newer reviews for Stenden Hotel

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I visited Stenden last night and stayed "on-campus" at this student run property. The front desk greeted me warmly and even provided me with an adapter/transformer as I was travelling from another country. Every student staff member I passed said hello and seemed thrilled to have my business. Look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The start-point is that you're staying in a real teaching university hotel - I've only one this once before (at Cornell) and did it this time at the recommendation of an alumni... I am glad I did... Reception was excellent - a trainee was on duty and was guided through the process (which felt good), then to our room, which was perfectly ok... nothing special, but very clean and functional... We spent a great afternoon in Leeuwarden, then opted to eat in the hotel restaurant... My wife had to help a young student with a G&T (but that was actually charming!), then we settled down for what was a quite excellent dinner in "New Dutch" style.... and after a good night's sleep enjoyed an equally excellent breakfast... all in all a great stay in a very nice place, and so good to see the students working so well!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My wife and three kids were lucky enough to stay at the Stenden University Hotel in Leeuwarden. The hotel is a Learning Hotel and it was great to see young students trying their best to make our stay so comfortable. The hotel is situated within walking distance from town with safe parking. The rooms are clean, modern and very comfortable. The beds are amazing as they can be operated by remote control, very nice. The hotel has a focus on the environment so organic ingredients in the meals is assured. Unfortunatley the University was closed for the holidays so the hotel was very quite and did not have the buzz of a real learning hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013

It appears that many B&B's are only offering an expensive breakfast option (12.5 euros per person). This puts the onus on the traveler to find and procure an economical breakfast. Since this B&B was far from town, we had to walk pretty far to find an alternative breakfast. Aside from this problem, we had no other complaints. The room and bath were modern and clean.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

It is the concept that attracted me to this hotel and I am delighted that I chose to stay there. The students who staff the hotel and restaurant under expert supervision made my night there all the more special: they tried so hard to please, always smiling and polite - nothing was too much trouble for them.

The hotel rooms are a short walk across the university concourse from the reception and restaurant, which was a nice reminder that guests are actually staying in a university, the life of which is very much going on as usual.

My room was spacious, clean, comfortable and well presented. I slept very well in the comfortable bed. The en suite bathroom was well equipped with plenty of soft towels.

I ate dinner in the restaurant where I experienced very good cooking and it was also the venue for a lovely breakfast.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stenden University hotel is a great spot to stay-over for a night or two, while being in Leeuwarden. I stay there every time I travel to Leeuwarden, to visit friends and family. The hotel is very stylish and modern, and the service, brought to you by Students, is simply perfect. The highlight of this hotel would for sure be the Restaurant. The personalized service and ambience are satisfying. Staff (students) are supervised by knowledged instructors who surprise you with their presence, to check whether every thing is alright. The menu is fairly Dutch, you'll be flabbergasted by the preparation of the components and its heritage. All in all, a must go! ENJOY!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank du_frank
SUH8917, General Manager at Stenden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear Frank,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback! We are especially proud that you enjoyed our unique concept of the New Dutch Cuisine in our restaurant. We are looking forward to welcome you back in our Hotel.