“A really stylish luxury hotel at a price I can afford”
Review of Manna

Manna
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Nijmegen
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I booked Manna on advice from TA, since my wife needed to visit Nijmegen from UK for college research, and I have all the travelling experience.

Manna turned out to be an easy 15 minute walk from the station (which connects by direct train to Schiphol). Our room was right at the top of a rabbit warren of rooms. Some of the stair cases were as steep as on-board a ship - and could be tricky for older visitors (I certainly wouldn't recommend it to *my* parenst). But the room more than made up for this. I never had my own fireplace in a hotel room before, and the open-plan bathroom an shower were great fun. The fact that the large glass shower-cubicle had a large unfrosted exterior window just made it feel more authentically Dutch.

After a long day of travelling, we chickened out of exploring for restaurants. Instead we ate downstairs, and that was great choice. It was busy brasserie-style restaurants, with plenty of couples in their 20's and 30s, and also some families and older couples. Lots of noisy chat, some background music, and a great atmosphere. We both ate Fish (the house speciality) and basically we got to chose the kind of fish we preferred (from a blackboard of at leat 15 varieties) and then choose how we wanted it cooked. Cocktails were fine (although not the very best I've had) and house wine was also very acceptable.

Breakfast the next day was also wonderful - at least twice as much food as we should have eatem, and all of it very very high quality. Sadly my wife could not do it justice after the feast the previous night. I did the honourable thing, and finished off her left-overs!

Overall, a really good hotel and restaurant, and one I'd happily recommend to anyone going to Nijmegen.

Room Tip: Loft room was definately a lot of fun!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Great hotel in great location with nearby affordable parking. The rooms carry a designer theme and lack storage space. There is no elevator, so the ability to walk stairs is a must, especially if you stay on the top floor. A good work-out. The restaurant is top-notch, and Nijmegen city center is right around the corner.

Room Tip: Ask for low floor if stairs are a problem. Staff will carry your luggage for you.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I have to travel a lot for work and at times this can be a lonely and stressful experience. This was not the case at all for my 4 night stay at Manna - in fact I will probably return here with my partner for a short vacation as I enjoyed the experience so much. (Believe me I've never thought of doing that before in a business hotel..!)

In my experience the problem with boutique hotels is the fact that the staff can seem very pleased with themselves and treat guests in a haughty manner. (Anyone who has stayed at the Hempel in London will know what I mean.) This is not the case at all here with friendly staff frequently remembering my name and preferences in a genuine way.

The room was excellent, spacious and comfortable and I was able to get to work straight away. Wifi was fast and easy to set up. Espresso coffee, bottled water and juices stocked each day. An iMac with an intelligent selection of music and films, a TV tuner and of course fast internet also. (To the person who complained about lack of TV in the room - um - this is the 21st Century and you can pretty much watch / listen to and view anything you want with a fast broadband connection) The iMac cleverly turns round and faces the bed and works fine in this regard.

The bed and linen were very very comfortable and i slept very well from the first night.

The bathroom was designed in an original way with a huge rain shower and an enormous free standing bath which is more a feature of the living space. This might sound unusual but when you are soaking in the tub with a glass of wine in one hand, a remote for the iMac music library in the other and a fireplace flickering in front of you - who cares..!? (For those couples who sleep together but haven't quite reached the 'I'm going to scrub my bits in front of you' stage - don't worry the actual toilet, shower and sink area can be shut off and made private with glass doors and clever use of blinds.)

I mentioned the fireplace feature above and I really appreciated this. It makes the room feel more homely and less corporate and after a busy day of meetings, sitting in front of the fire with a drink was a lovely way to end the day. There was only one armchair in my room, so I guess you'd have to fight for it if you were a couple.

The design of the room has been well considered and has a contemporary Dutch feel. (e.g quirky Moooi type furniture and accessories - similar to the wonderful LUTE suites at Amstelveen) I even had a Christmas tree....

My room was the M 6 on the 3rd floor. There was no lift, but this was not a problem for me, in fact I'd go so far as to say it made the communal spaces seem much more like a house than a hotel. This was something I liked, in fact I almost felt like a house guest rather than a corporate client. I didn't have to struggle with my luggage as the staff took my luggage to the room and collected it when I checked out.

The hotel is also a popular restaurant and offers an interesting menu comprised of lots of starter sized portions designed to make you 'mix and match'. As a lone diner I found this to be a good idea and sampled a lot of the food during my stay. Breakfasts were equally excellent and a range of items sweet and savoury were provided along with coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Regarding the location, for me this was perfect. The hotel is on a main road, but this makes it accessible and also safe. As most of the city centre is pedestrianised (and the shops shut up at night) I can't imagine where else you would want to stay. It is a very short walk to the town centre shops / cathedral square / train station etc. (Although if you had lots of luggage it might be better to get a 5 minute taxi rather than walk from the station) There is an Arthouse cinema (LUX) nearby and also one of the ubiquitous Albert Heijn supermarkets 2 minutes away.

Anyway, you get the gist - go and try for yourself...

Room Tip: I can only speak for my room number 6 (a Medium sized room according the the hotel's categorisat...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank spruce1970
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I stayed at Manna for the first time this week as part of a business trip to The Netherlands. It was a delightful experience. The rooms are large and with contemporary decoration and excellent features like fireplaces and Apple Computers. The restaurant is also excellent and worth a visit even if you are not staying there. The service was attentive, friendly and relaxed throughout my stay. My job will likely take me back to this area and I am in no doubt about where to stay.

Room Tip: Stayed in room no. 2 which I am told was their largest room. However my collegaues staying in other...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Lovely room - if unusual bathroom arrangement. One criticism would be not enough shelf space for toiletries. Another point to watch is that there is no lift. Our room was on the 3rd floor, and the stairs are quite steep. Breakfast was a feast - there was just so much, and all of it was very good and just too tempting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor if you have any problem climbing stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This Hotel is " Wonderful " the rooms are spacious, well set out, very relaxing, the bed you don't want to leave in the morning. The breakfast keeps you going for the rest of the day "delicious" The Staff are so attentive and pleasant you feel at home. Without doubt the best hotel We have stayed in. " Highly Recomended "

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

A luxury room, including an iMac, with quality fittings and bedding. A breakfast served outside in the rare sunshine was sublime. Check in was simple and friendly, all enquiries were answered with enthusiasim and breakfast was served with care and efficiency. The only watch out is that the bathroom layout requires couples to have a degree of sharing above the normal.

Stayed: August 2012