“Like a home”

Ranked #2 of 14 Groningen B&B and Inns
Frankfurt, Germany
“Like a home”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This hotel became a bit of a home to me, during my regular business visits to Groningen. It is right in the centre, with easy access to many restaurants. The landlady makes you feel welcome and the hotel has a bit of an old world feeling. Price is really good for what it is, and you get a nice breakfast too. May not be optimal if you need parking, but I much prefer this place to the faceless modern hotels.
Definitely will stay here if I come to Groningen again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window to the outside, either to the Grote Markt (my favorite, but could be a...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MorenaVesna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Lovely old world style hotel-open fire in the very comfortable guests' lounge. Friendly ,helpful staff. Groningen is a delightful university town which I had never heard of until my son embarked upon an exchange program there. I would definitely stay there at this hotel again

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Sweden
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed at De doelen one night on a short trip to Holland. The hotels position can not be more central (on the market place), so you have to leave your car in a parking house nearby (not included in the price). We had a rather small rooms, while our friends stayed in a bigger, though the booking was made several months in advance.
Hotels in the Netherlands are generally expensive and breakfast usually not included in the price.
The rooms were clean and OK. Service and breakfast likewise. Our choice was due to its central position and we have nothing to complain about.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marthinsen
Suburban Maryland
Reviewed 19 October 2011

My wife and I traveled to Groningen and Hamburg (Ger.) recently to visit our daughter and son in law. We have been to Amsterdam several times, but not since 2009, and never to Groningen. It is in the middle of an agricultural area in the Netherlands and the home of a rather large and famous university that has been there since 1640. When in Groningen, we stayed at the De Doelan because my daughter’s apartment is too small to hold all four of us. Groningen is not a large city, so if you are looking for one of the major US chains, you won’t find them. But if you want to experience a very nice Dutch hotel, De Doelan will fit the bill.

The De Doelan is located on the Grote Markt, the central square in the heart of the old city. The square is surrounded by bars and shops. The bars stay open well into the night and the students keep things very lively into the wee hours. Each club has at least one security guard posted at the front, but the patrons seemed to ignore anyone not so engaged. However, if you like peaceful rooms, De Doelan is probably not your best choice.
I requested quiet rooms and, for the most part, they were. I reserved room 108 for Thursday and room 217 for Saturday. Friday, my wife, daughter, son-in-law, and I drove to Hamburg, Germany for a visit (see my review of the Marriott Hamburg). The rooms are small. The largest bed is a double and some rooms come with a shower, others with a bathtub. Both rooms we stayed in had a shower. The rooms had a small TV mounted high on the wall, too far away to enjoy while lying in bed. The bathrooms were very nice, tiled in marble, with a “rain” type showerhead. I like a lot of pressure from a shower and these aren’t the best, but they worked well enough. My one complaint is that all of the lights had energy saving bulbs (compact fluorescents) that I’m certain do the job of being “green”, but the room was barely lit. It was difficult for my wife to put on her make-up and it was hard to make sure the sheets were clean, find your sox, or anything dropped on the floor. There was only one window and if the sun were shining, it would help but this is the Netherlands!

Room 108 was quiet, but when we arrived, it was very warm in the room. We opened the window but just outside was a street lamp and though it was below the level of the window, the streetlamp still lit up the room at night making it difficult to sleep. 108 looks out onto an alley and during the night, one of the bars dumped their bottles and cans into the dumpster and woke us up. So on balance, I would say 217 is a better choice. Room 217 is reached by climbing a steep set of stairs after reaching the second floor. One side of the room has a slanted ceiling and you have to bend over to get in that side of the bed without striking you head. This is also true in the bathroom - the toilet is located beneath the slanted ceiling portion of the room. Both rooms were clean and the amenities were good.

The reservations do not include breakfast, but the hotel restaurant provides a very good Dutch breakfast. There was a good selection of cold meats, yogurt, cereals and breads, along with scrambled eggs, sausage and oatmeal. The cost was about 10 Euros per person.

Groningen has a very nice, old section in the city and The De Doelan is close enough to walk there. The Martini Tower, another historical sight is across the street. So it is well located for sightseeing and shopping is close by in every direction. Groningen is a very walkable city and like all Dutch cites, the people are warm and helpful. I highly recommend renting bikes at the train station and riding around the city to really get the Dutch experience.

My rating is average because I tend to stay in 4 or 5 star hotels and have a few favorites that I compare every hotel to. But, given the area, the De Doelan is perfectly fine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flagger
Panevezys, Lithuania
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I spent only one night in the hotel. Check-in time of the hotel is from 15 o'clock but I arrived around 13h. The receptionist didn't complain about me being too early and was really nice and helpful. I booked a single room, but my room had a double bed which was quite a nice surprise cause it's more comfortable to sleep in a bigger bed. I wasn't really happy about the cleanliness of my room, since there were some litter on the carpet. Also there was only one hanger in the closet so I had to choose which piece of clothing I wanted to have unwrinkled. I am sure if I asked in the reception I would have got more hangers.
Both in the room and in the bathroom there is very little light so it is extremely hard to apply make up or put contact lenses in. Also the shower head is on the ceiling so if you want not to get your hair wet when showering you have to wear a cap.
Other than that, the location of the hotel is incredible. In the city centre with all the pubs and places to see close. The staff is really friendly, smiles at you and helps with any kind of question you might have. The touristy info and pamphlets/books are all in Dutch since I assume there aren't a lot of foreigners staying there. But all staff speaks perfect English so no worries.
The hotel is nicely decorated with red carpets and furniture from dark wood, mirrors hanging in the stairwell.
I had a great night's sleep and no noise was heard inside the room so it's quiet and nice.
I will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Groningen.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Being located slap on the central square, this hotel couldn't be better located for those wanting to stay in a central location but I would advise you sort out directions to the hotel (or rather to a car park nearby) before you travel rather than rely on Sat Nav - mine just could not cope with the labyrinth of one way streets and no access roads and I ended up in a car park half a mile away that charged me 18 Euro for overnight parking.
The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms have real character - contrary to one of the other reviewers, I thought our room was spacious and comfortable. The room was quiet - probably as it did not face onto the suare itself. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Bristol
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I arrived late in the evening, the kitchen just closed, but they managed to get me some food which was all I needed. A nice glass of wine, and some food, now I could relax after a long day working and travelling around Netherlands.
The room was really good, the only disappointment was that someone had a cigarette in the bathroom, this was a non-smoking room, and there were ashes on the floor. It stank in there, and made me wonder if the standard of cleaning were any good here. But all I needed to do was to close the door and it certainly didn't affect my good night sleep.
Other than this minor inconvenience, it was a really nice stay, friendly staff and great location.
Breakfast was OK, nothing fancy but fine.
There are some major work been done in Groningen, affecting the hotel's approach.
I would stay again at the "De Doelen" hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business