Hotel Corps de Garde
  • Bar/Lounge
Martini Hotel(Groningen)
Asgard Hotel(Groningen)
  • Room Service
All reviewsthis lovely hotelwelcome drinkguard houselate at nighthistoric buildingcentral areasoft boiled eggstandard hotelwould highly recommend this hotelstudent cityshort walkfresh orange juicegreat place to staybuffet breakfastlocation is greatparking garagegrote markt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Although we only stayed one night, it was a charming visit. The room was spacious and beautifully renovated. The staff was extremely friendly. The buffet breakfast (€ 14,50 pp) was lovely with a large variety of local breads, cheeses, meats, yogurt, fruits and made-to-order bacon and eggs. The location couldn't be more convenient for walking to the busy center of town and the wonderful Groningen Museum. We found ample unpaid parking a 5-mintue walk away (over the canal). We were concerned when we saw the complimentary ear plugs, but our room (#11) was in the back, so we were not disturbed by the lively Saturday night student crowds. Our room also had a balcony with chairs. Had we stayed longer it would have been nice to sit with a glass of wine and watch the sun set over the city. The breakfast room/bar is extremely homey with lovely lighting and book shelves filled with anything and everything you would want to read. They also provide daily newspapers and a chess board. There is only one, very tiny, thing I would change and that is there should be a hair dryer provided in each bathroom. Then it would be perfect!!!! Great stay for your money!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank USExpat144
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Corps de Garde is a Boutique Hotel located in the city center of Groningen. Rooms (including bathroom) are very spacious, very elegantly decorated, and comfortable. Staff is very friendly and professional. I particularly liked the modern and unique design of the room.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank bourets
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed here one night in Room 8, a spacious, light room with a high ceiling and numerous windows, some overlooking the canal. The Auberge is on the edge of the historic centre, but within an easy walk of the sights and restaurants. It doesn't have its own parking, but there is underground parking on the opposite bank of the canal.

We were warmly received by a charming guy who offered us a free welcome drink - a nice touch, and recommended a nearby restaurant, which turned out to be very good.

Breakfast was very good too.

The only downside was that the bath (but not the shower) was in the bedroom and there was some traffic noise at night, but at least they had the foresight to provide 2 sets of earplugs on the bedside tables!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights and loved our time. We stayed in the attic style room and it was so unique, with the original beams and lovely lamps to add atmosphere. My mother is from Groningen, so we were spending time looking at family history, where my mother lived etc, the staff at the hotel were so helpful and friendly, they even assisted me to find places on a map. The breakfasts were fantastic, a buffet style with fresh coffee and orange juice served in the beautifully restored and decorated cafe/bar/restaurant, looking over the canal. There were lots of wonderful cheeses, meats and breads to choose from. There is also a wonderful red spiral staircase that leads you to the upper floors, or you can take the lift :) The building used to be some kind of army headquarters during the war. It really is amazing how it has been restored with such style and class. There is also room service available around the clock, when you want a nice dutch hot chocolate in bed late at night! We would HIGHLY reccomend this hotel to other travellers :)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daveandvan
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Groningen is where I originally come from, so when I had the opportunity to do a project there, I did not have to hesitate for too long. It would mean going there and staying the night for the next months at least. It ended up being 12 weeks.

First I stayed in the Mercure and I've had an occasional night in the NH, but whenever possible I tried to get my room is this lovely hotel. The beds are the best from all the Hotels I stayed in so far and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

After my last night there, I left with a bottle of wine in my bag, accompanied by a letter thanking me for my stay. It is the hotel I want to thank!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business