“Always a pleasure”

Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Maastricht
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
“Always a pleasure”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Perfect located on the banks of the River "Maas" it's just a 5 minute walk into the city center of the beautiful city! Parking garage underneath the hotel which is also very comfy! Rooms are ok! The hotel is a bit expensive but if you look at for discounts you can have a great price!

It was our 3rd time to vist this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

This is a OK hotel. It was mostly clean, the food was fine, and it was in a safe location. The common areas are very nice and it is one of the few hotels with ample meeting space. But, one has to keep in mind that this is the Holiday Inn's version of a fine hotel. I would not call this hotel upscale. I think they were trying, but just didn't get it. I did wear my shoes in my room and I put down towels in the bathroom. The furniture is made out of pressed-wood and had the fake wood veneer on it. The bed was very comfy. The linens were fine. They also had bathrobes in the rooms.

It is a very dated property. The TVs were from the 1990s. I came back once to find my TV on, blaring Dutch audio, and turned to the pay channels. This is not pleasant...nor when it happened again while I was in the room. The front desk person was very help in reassuring me that someone wasn't in my room, checked the key swipes, and I was not charged. The technical person went back to the room with me and explained what the problem was and why he can't fix it. That was great, but it still wasted a lot of my time during my stay. They did have channels in several languages, which was nice.

The rooms are kind of small, and while they looked clean and orderly, I just didn't feel clean in them. I couldn't place it. The first room I was given reeked badly of cheap cologne. I has a room with a nice size slider and balcony, so I tried to air it out for a few minutes. I called down to the front and the immediately sent someone to my room and then moved me to another room. Both rooms had toilets that smelled and the lid had to be kept down. This is was most likely from the city water.

The front desk staff was hit or miss. Often, they were there. When I checked in, the person had a bit of an attitude. I asked him if there was a nearby cafe with wi-fi and he told me to go to McDonalds and had a bit of a tone. Then, I asked if there a nice restaurant in the area where I could eat dinner. He again told me to go to McDonald's. I'm American and overweight, but I haven't eaten McDonald's for more than a decade. Plus, when you are searching for a nice steak and a fine European cappuccino, you don't want McDonald's. BTW, there was a nice coffee shop across from their plaza and another on the main street. I had a lovely meal at an Argentine steakhouse a few blocks away. And, the McDonald's was not close by.

I also asked about an ATM and he told me I would have to walk back to the train station or wait until the grocery store , located across the river, opened in the morning. I knew I passed a few ING machines on the way from the train station, so I just went back to there. I was hoping for something closer (and there was), but I was also able to find that great Argentine Steakhouse. I was worried about time, since I had arrived after the dinner rush. I also asked for a map and was given a shopping book. The next day, I asked about something and the lady and the bellhop were very, very helpful. They gave me a map and couldn't have been more helpful.

The restaurant was mostly OK. At night, the person manning the bar seating area was great. She would get tea and meals. It was clean and there were several business people watching the Olympics (mostly Americans). It wasn't so much as a "bar" but a casual eating area where people did work and watched TV. But, in the morning. They have an expensive buffet and not an option for coffee and a croissant. It's was 20 to 30 Euros. The one morning I was told that I could get a latte and a croissant in the bar seating area. It was fine. Overprice, but it is a hotel and the latte was good. The following morning, I was told that it wasn't possible and I had to order the full buffet. I went next door to the cafe.

When I went to check out, it took a long time. They only had one computer and the person who checked me in was working. For some reason it took him and another guy (who seemed to be a newer employee or the other guy just has a power trip) to check people out. There was a line and it took a while to check out.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with this hotel. But, it was in a nice location. It was safe. And overall, it was fine for this region.

Room Tip: The balconies are nice. Get a non-smoking room!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Perrysburg, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights (Friday and Saturday) in July. The hotel is recently refurbished and the property was very clean and tidy. The location of this hotel is excellent as it is a short walk to the rail station and a short walk over the bridge to the old city center. I suggest renting bikes which can be done at the rail station. Close to the hotel is a street containing numerous places to eat, although we didn't see any nightlife while we were there. The shopping in Maastrict is expansive and rivaled in my opinion only by Amsterdam (at least in The Netherlands.

The downside of this hotel is that it is a very expensive hotel for non-business travels. Do not book a riverview room as the windows do not open fully and the views are nice, but not stunning. Save your money and book a nice room with a courtyard view. Breakfast is €26 per person; however, the night before, you can stop in one of the local bakeries and save on breakfast costs. Internet was and parking were both ~€20.

The staff is friendly and speaks good English and are very willing to help out in any way necessary. All in all, this is a good hotel...but not great. I would stay there again; however, I would definitely plan my spend a big different.

Portlaoise
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Lovely room overlooking the river Maas with very handy parking (at a fee) connected to the hotel.
This hotel was all that was availabe in Maastricht, due to the Andre Reiu concert, the night we required. Not the cheapest but well worth the money if only for the proximity to the concert venue.
We dined out both evening and morning on the busy town squares,
Service desk was right up there with expectations, and extremely helpful with both directions and courtesy.
One point of doubt, was that on arrival, we were asked if we wanted to upgrade to a river view room for a fee of €50. This we declined, so were quite surprised to be shown to a river view room,...was the lemon being squeezed?

Would I stay here again? Yes, if there is another Rieu concert and I can get tickets!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael B
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Great location and great instalations. But the high cost of internet and parking made me to move to other hotel in the region. For what one have to pay for internet and parking, is almot enough o pay other hotel.

Room Tip: If you do not care to view the river, the other side is less hot in the Summer and air condition wor...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Lovely location, rooms ( we booked a renovated room ) good and comfortable. Wifi not free, which is disappointing for a 4 star hotel. The special buffet we booked for the andre rieu night, was a waste of money, with cold meats and very disappointing quality. The complaint at the spot was not handled very well, and we were offered a free coffe as an excuse. The formal complaint did not wentmuch further, a free dinner was offered butsince we live more than 200km away, we could book another night to enjoy the free meal. Although the bilderberg group manages the hotel, they would not offer the free dinner at one of their other hotels nearby our city... No, i should pay for a night. They certainly do not have excellence. Will avoid this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Maastricht, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Dear HansRotterdam,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We have stayed at this Hotel many times when visiting Europe. Maastricht is a lovely city. The Hotel is first class. The meals, cleanliness and staff are excellent. The bedrooms are spacious and well equipped and the location on the banks of the river Maas is fantastic. If travelling by car, unfortunately the parking charges are rather excessive but we build this in as part of the holiday. Apart from that, can't really fault anything.

Room Tip: We have stayed in a number of different bedrooms and have been happy with them. Obviously the rooms...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple