“Deluxe is a misnomer”

Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Maastricht
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Deluxe is a misnomer”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Its not really a deluxe hotel. Its just one with basic amenities and service. The room was clean and the personnels friendly. It was convivial and found near the city centre. However the rate seems to b high for the service.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
BastionHotelGroep, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Maastricht Centrum, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear guest,

We want to thank you very much for your stay at Bastion Deluxe Hotel Maastricht-Centrum. We are pleased to see that you have enjoyed the personal atmosphere, hospitality, comfort and good facilities and all of this you have translated in a nice review!

We would like to apologize for the fact that the hotel did not meet your expectations completely. Daily the prices are subjected to demand. The pricing will fluctuate accordingly.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in one of our hotels!

Team of the Bastion Hotel Groep

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I'm a frequent traveler and stay in hotels all over the world. The Bastion is a basic accommodation--on a par with a slightly dated Holiday Inn in the United States or many Thistles in the UK--older decor, plain but clean. It is a perfectly comfortable place to stay in Maastricht, but it is certainly not deluxe, nor would it be rated with four stars in other places. Breakfast is plentiful and welcome--a bright spot on an otherwise dull but inoffensive canvas. The beds leave much to be desired--clean, but with poor mattresses and as often happens in Europe, a 'double' bed is two twins pushed together. Water pressure and shower angle are poor--this is a good place for a nice, warm bath. If you're arriving in Maastricht by train and have few bags, it's a nice 20-25 minute walk across the Maas/Meuse river. The hotel is about 5-7 minutes from the main pedestrian shopping district.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dancetraveller
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Maastricht Centrum, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Having stayed several times in the past, due to its convenient location, the somewhat tired standard of the rooms was not something new and to be fair, for the price, the hotel provides reasonable value for money by Maasticht standards. Limited facilities but adequate for short stay and staff are friendly. A disappointment this time though were the confusing signals in the restaurant where it went from feast to famine with the first night overwhelming portion sizes and the next night having to walk out after waiting for such a long time without any attention/service at all. Fortunately the Markt square, with its abundance of good eating places, was only a few minutes away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Maastricht Centrum, responded to this review, 6 November 2013

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I will be very specific in my review just to make it very objective.
Starting from expectations I have to mention that when you book into a 4* property you expect certain room size and quality as well as amenities such bar, restaurant, gym etc.

When for a single room or double room you get a room with 4 permanent beds you realize this is not 4* property.
Bathroom is tiny with terrible shower gel and soap not to mention the broken toilet seat. The towels were that kind with plastic that don't dry out the water on you!

The entrance lobby is bar, restaurant and breakfast area and therefore before getting out of the hotel you get the "nice" kitchen scent of fried food, that is if don't go near the smoker's lounge and get the combined kitchen-cigarette scent!
The gym, forget it! One treadmill, cross trainer and bicycle and steam bath in the attic in a very tight area! Not to mention that they looked run down !
So, it's a NO WAY !
They were trying to explain me that this is a city hotel and therefore 4* is different. REALLY?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Maastricht Centrum, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our employees in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you can accept my apologies.

Maik Willems

Travellers are raving about these Maastricht hotels

redditch
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We had a 2night stay here last weekend. We enjoyed the proximity to the Markt square,just a 3/4 minute walk.The room was clean and modern with a new bathroom,there is a nice bar where you could get a late drink,and staff were friendly.We didn't eat in the hotel,we thought the breakfast was slightly expensive with plenty of cafes nearby.A minor issue was an apparent reluctance to stock the tea and coffee tray in the room with more than one milk or sugar sachet per guest.We will certainly use this hotel again on a future visit to this attractive city.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front a little noisy due to smokers by the front door and noisy pedestrians late at nig...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Maastricht Centrum, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the positive comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. Such comments supports me and my colleagues to provide our guests a good service. The Bastion Hotel Groep strives to always meet and exceed the expectations of our guest.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 10 September 2013

There is nothing "deluxe" about this hotel. The reception area is friendly enough, but the room we got had seen its good days ages ago. Charges for use of the parking facility, which I suppose is fair enough. It does, however, also charge €15 per person (and child) for breakfast, which is such a negative bore - especially when the price already is rather high compared to quality. Location is good, though, even though other hotels are even closer to the city centre. You might want to consider one of those instead of this one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ThoS_74
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Maastricht Centrum, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear guest,

I hope you can accept my apologies.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Hotel is located adjacent to the bassin area, a redeveloped small "marina" with moorings for boats and quayside cafes and restaurants. It is a 3 minute walk upto the Markt square and a further 5 minutes to the Vrijthof for a wonderful selection of open air restaurants and cafes.
Room was usual business standard, functional rather than design oriented. Air conditioning was excellent and worked perfectly and relatively quietly. I have worked in NL for 2 years now and 2 single beds pushed together is the norm in Dutch hotels when rooms are described as double so no need to get excited about that! I agree that toiletries were budget and there was no hand lotion as is usually available. Free wifi was efficient and useful and parking just around the corner was in underground car park costing €15 per day (relatively cheap for Maastricht). You need to pull up outside the hotel in the 2 bays reserved for dropping off and obtain an access ticket from reception, the car park is first left turn and 50 metres on right behind roller shutter doors. There is only one lift which should be updated it seemed quite slow.
Due to this I was happy to have a room on 1st floor and use the stairs except when checking in and out with luggage.I am surprised to hear complaints about the staff, the 2 blonde ladies on reception were friendly and helpful to me on many occasions and the barman was more than adequate. If the reception is left unattended as others have written I can only assume that was in the quieter periods as during my time it was always staffed with 2 people. I did not eat in restaurant as their are many available with outside seating in the town centre. The only thing I did not like was the smoking room adjacent to the bar which contained a pool table and as the name suggests smelt of smoking but it was behind a sliding door so not an issue normally just if you wanted to play pool. Overall an adequate hotel that was good value for what I paid.
I think some of the native English speakers are reading too much into the "Deluxe" in the hotel name, it is a relatively standard 3/4 star hotel not deluxe or 5 star.

Room Tip: I would not take a room on the higher floors as you can wait a long time for the lift.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gerry_St_Clair
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Maastricht Centrum, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

I hope to meet you again in one of our hotels.