“A different but disappoint experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Botel Maastricht

and 1 more site!
Botel Maastricht
Ranked #36 of 37 Hotels in Maastricht
Scotland, United Kingdom
“A different but disappoint experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was in doubt until the moment I submitted the review if I would give 2 or 3 stars to Botel, because despite being a bad experience it was cheap (37 euros) compared with a real Hotel.

Starting by the beginning, I stood there just for one night in a double room without bathroom. With the staff everything went good, without any problems and everyone was pleasant.

Visually the boat in general and the room in particular look OK, nothing amazing but enough for a night. The main problem is smell of the room, it had the smell of the old wood that it is made of mixed with dust and poor hygiene, certainly due to the lack of cleaning. The smell was so intense that all the clothes kept the smell until they were washed. I could also see on the sheets and on the pillow a few small stains of some kind of liquids that I could not identify among with two or three little stains of blood. All together it would occupy less than the space of an 1 Euro coin, even though it denotes that cleaning is not the strong point here.

The room was, as you could expect by the price, very poor with only the beds, a really small sink and a locker, where you could see the pipes and the electric wires, because someone removed the floor, and it was not easy at all to open the locker door because the door knob was missing too.

Joining to that was lack of bathroom/shower facilities for the all three floors. It has 5 bathrooms, two for women, two for men, and one for both sexes and only one shower. Despite having 5 bathrooms only two have sinks and one of the men's bathroom didn't have a toilet. Thankfully it were few people in the Botel so it wasn't problems with the WC usage.

It was a different and memorable experience, being on the river at night or having a shower with the river view, but would not repeat it for sure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jreviewingc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Putney, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We arrived late in Maastricht and missed the VVV. We wandered a bit and were told to ask if the Botel had a cabin available. Afraid it would be expensive, we walked to The Maas and inquired at The Botel. My husband asked for a cabin on the water side of the craft and we had a small but comfortable cabin for 46 Euros a night (breakfast was an added 9 Euros - excellent, unlimited coffee). I highly recommend Botel for people who don't mind being a little cramped. My husband is 6 feet and he liked Botel as much as I did. All of the people working on Botel are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: As for a cabin on the water (Maas) side.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fichter
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

The Botel is, as the name suggests, on a boat, berthed very close to the centre of Maastricht.
The accomodation is in cabins, which are small and basic, but adequate for a stay of several nights in budget accomodation.
Breakfast is served in the pleasant restaurant, with lovely views down the river. There is also a nice bar, and sundeck.
As I was leaving early in the morning, they offered to serve breakfast at 5am, which I thought was very good. The breakfast was a typical ham, cheese, eggs, bread, coffee and juice. Just what is needed to set you up for the day.
The staff were very helpful and pleasant.
This is a budget place to stay, but if you are on a tight budget and looking for somewhere to stay in a central location in Maastricht, this could be for you. It is an ideal place to stay for the budget traveller, and being on a boat, something a little different. I'm glad I stayed there.
There is good shopping, eating and drinking very close by in the centre of Maastricht.
The railway and bus station is about 15 minutes walk, and as it is close to the borders of Belgium and Germany, you can be in either Liege or Aachen in a few minutes by train.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Diemen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

I visited this property with my six friends in February 2013. Our stay of three nights at this place was quite relaxing and comfortable. My room was not too big, but had everything I needed. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was functional. Breakfast included a number of healthy options and I liked it. Staff was very co-operative and they tried their best to provide the comfort we needed. I will recommend this place to my other friends.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

We took a room her (sorry I can't say Hotel) because it was required for may daugther to participate in a University activity, however it was terrible, the triple room was a a small space with two "beds" a double and a single short and narrow, no space even to put a chair between the bed and the wall, bedsheets very basic and old, not sure if really clean.
The towels were hand size and again very small.
The bathroom had a small sink and a WC the shower was in the space between both so no real shower space, after you showered you couldn't go into the bathroom without getting wet.
the food very basic and they charge Euro7 for the breakfast.
I checked a nice Crowne Hotel across the river and it was only some few Euros more, I'm sure for the same price I could have found something much better. I will imagine that the University has some kind of arrangement with the botel, because I don't believe anyone can recommend it seriously. Othere student had shared rooms and baths and had to make long lines to take a shower in the corridor. Look for other options before going there, unless you are/were a marine working in submarines, you will feel claustrofobic!
Forgot to mention the room had a smell of humidity that prompted my allergies!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank OceanLook

Travellers are raving about these Maastricht hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

I was a bit unsure about my rating, since I did not find it really awful... but I cannot define it "average" either. Let's say that I was glad I only booked 1 night, just for the experience of sleeping on a house boat. That's the only reason I would recommend it to other people, otherwise, there are certainly much better options. The rooms are VERY tiny and that would not be a problem if the bed was a standard size. You can sleep straight if you are not taller than 1,70 m. We had a "shower room" en suite, which was ok, but proportionate to the rest. I appreciated that everything was fairly clean. The view is a plus, right on the Maas and its bridge. It was nice to have our breakfast here. Nothing special, but it was the highlight of our stay in the hotel. Lots of bread with jams, cold meat, cheese and a boiled egg. Rather large considering the place... The location is quite convenient, walking distance to the centre and to the train station, by the Stadt Park.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Francy_NL
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

TINY room with tiles falling off the ceiling. The smallest bed in the world and the heat, once the sun comes up, is what I imagine Cool Hand Luke must have suffered when 'spending a night in the box'. Spend an extra 20 Euros and get a real room in a real hotel if your budget allows (have one less beer and a cheaper meal instead...it'll be worth it!) It wasn't a pleasant room to have a hangover in I can tell you. If you are young or travelling on your own it'll do for a night, maybe 2. But really, its a hole. All be it in a nice spot!

Room Tip: Somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo