“Cheap but don't expect privacy”
Review of Botel Maastricht

and 1 more site!
Botel Maastricht
Ranked #36 of 37 Hotels in Maastricht
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
“Cheap but don't expect privacy”
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed at the Botel or 2 nights and have to say the location is fantastic.
5 minutes walk to the centre of Maastricht with great views to the city.
The rooms are basic but clean and the breakfast was good.
Just don't expect privacy as you can hear the person next door sneeze as well as other things!
Would recommend this place though if you have no problems with other peoples' noises.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samjmorton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Italy
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I stayed only one night for business. What I imediately noticed was the sharpness of the reception and the incredibly small size of my room. The first was quick, sharp, saying only the necessary. The room was approximately 9 sqm in which there were two bads (!) a sink in the room and a toilette of approximately 2 sqm. The room is silent, since it is located in the river, but still the boat is very noisy. You can hear people walking from upstairs and next to your door, and in my case (room 14) a spare sound (probably of metal or something) clocking every 10 minutes. The bad was also a bit short and not clean. The place is very cheap and very well located though, at 3 minutes from the main ancient gate to the historic centre. It is also very close to the ceramique district. I suggest it to groups of backpackers.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank tunion

Travellers are raving about these Maastricht hotels

Ann Arbor, MI & Paris, France
Reviewed 10 May 2009

My fiance's family is from northern France, but we live in the United States. When the two of us go to visit his family, Maastricht is always a nice get-away for the two of us to spend some quality time alone together while we're in Europe!
We stayed on the Botel Maastricht for the third time on our last trip, as I have come to love this special place and wouldn't think of traveling to this charming little city and staying anywhere else! Other than the fact that it is, by far, the most cost-effective option while staying in Maastricht, the staff is always extremely friendly, accommodating, and interesting. The atmosphere is so much fun, and we always meet interesting people from all over Europe and the world when staying here (so much fun in the summer when the terrace is open!). The boat is clean, hospitable, and safe. It is also in an extremely convenient location for accessing all the areas interesting for tourists as you're right in the heart.
However, the other reviewers are not wrong about the bare-bones nature of this boat. The cabins are quite small (although the beds are very cozy and comfortable!), it does not have amenities that are customary for American hotels (as most European hotels don't), and yes, the shower is above the toilet. But what else would you really expect from the cheapest place on town... that's a boat in the Netherlands! If you're looking for a more posh hotel experience, this great little place is probably not for you. But if you're like us, want to meet interesting people, have a blast, feel safe and comfortable, be right in the heart of it, and still have a little spending money, I could not recommend the Botel Maastricht more.

• Liked — The location, the value, the great staff, and the interesting people
  • Disliked — It is very bare-bones!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank FrequentTravelors
Green Bay, WI, USA
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I stayed here one night, got what I wasn't expecting really, a wooden box to sleep in, pretty much, thats all.
I guess there were bigger rooms but I got stuck with a tiny bright green hell.

The 6 euro breakfast didn't make it much better!

LOVED MAASTRICHT, though!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Patrick N
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 22 February 2006

Hi all!
Stayed for 4 nites in botel..1st nite had a room with WC share(great little cosy room with porthole(riverview) but always seemed to go to the WC after a STINKER!!!)But the next 3 nites, AHHHH!!!! Had an upperdeckroom (with a river view) with my own WC and it was just fine!(after staying in shared room hostels this was just a slice of heaven!!)Had nothing but smooth sailing from check in to helpfulness from staff...and the tap beer tasted fine to me!! Walked from the "Central Station" and never encountered one single come on for drugs or anything!! And did I mention this Botel occupies one of the best views in town? It's only minutes walking distance from the "central station" and across from the Medieval Walls and a neat little park..I fully recommend this place!! And I'm a seasoned "budget" traveller!!

• Stayed April 2004
4 Thank abeano
London
Reviewed 20 August 2005

I stayed in the Botel in August 2005 for one night and had a completely different experience from the last reviewer. The Botel certainly isn't the QE2 but at just 55 Euros for a small double room (with its own loo and shower) and a delicious breakfast included, it was great value for money and in a really central location. The staff were very welcoming and friendly, even though I can't speak a word of Dutch - nor did we see any drug-dealers, Moroccan or otherwise! Highly recommended for budget travellers!

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank Debston
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 December 2004

Well pulled in to Maastricht Central at about 2pm and found this place was reccomended in the Let's Go Europe Travel Guide. It was billed as cruiseboat that was convereted in to a permanent hotel. Excited, we gave them a call and were delighted to find that there was a two person room that they we hold for us. We were told that it was a short walk away (800 meters). 800 meters of Morrocan drug dealers following you around trying to sell you some heroin. When we approached, it looked what looked rusting Turkish tugboat. We were greeted by Pascal. One of the lenses on his glasses was shattered and he was very rude right from the start. Tired, we decided to give the place a try. We got to our room below deck and noticed the room had a faint smell of mold, rotting pee and feces. THe carpet was damp and it was the smallest room I'ver seen. Also some bird built his nest around our peephole. We went back up to ask for our money back but there was no one at the desk for at least a half an hour. Frustrated and resigned to reality of staying in this place, we went about town to look around. The locals expressed condolences when they found out where we were staying and told us to be very careful with the local Morrocans. After a few hours we got back and went to the botel bar. Pascal was still working. We ordered up a couple of Gulpener's (the only beer they offered) and were disgusted with the taste. It seemed as if they had not washed their keg lines in years. When we complained he asked us if we would be happier with Budweiser. That beer really gave me the runs and I was soon forced to exacerbate the Botel's poor plumbing problems.
For some strange reason Pascal (who looked a bit like Eltjo) was insisting to us that there was no difference between a river and a canal. At each insatnce we pointed out the differences his only response would be to ask "Why do you think that is my friend?" When we got back to our room we noticed the foul odor had become much worse and we were forced to leave again. The beds were uncomfortable and that stupid bird had us up at the crack of dawn.
Overall I would say "Okay, but some problems"

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member