“Great location, mixed feeligs”
Review of Hotel Zenden

Hotel Zenden
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
Warsaw, Poland
“Great location, mixed feeligs”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Well, I have really mixed feelings about this hotel.
The location is excellent and the design (if You can stand everything, I mean each and every part of room in white - I liked that) is nice, also the staff was helpful.
On the other side, our room was on the second floor with very narrow and steep stairs, so getting there with suitcases was challenging.

The bad thing was, there was terrible smell on the corridor - but only on the corridor, not in the room. The room was very spacious, very clean (well, all in white - it must be a hell to clean that ;). It was a bit noisy, "thanks" to people returning from night drinking activities...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Protagonist,

Thank you very much for your valuable comment!
The smell on the corridor comes from an essential oil aroma diffuser. But apparently this is smell is a bit too strong for you. We'll make sure the settings are lowered.

Thank you for your detailed and constructive feedback!

We will be pleased to welcome you again at our hotel!

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Booked a studio room, which looked very nice. Good location looking over the Maas river, close to lots of restaurants and shops.

The studio is based in a house, and being on the 3rd floor without an elevator was not very convenient. Additionally, the room was not cleaned in after our 1st (of 2) night in the hotel. Parking was located next to the hotel, but very expensive for 2 nights.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Jasper V,

Thank you very much for giving us such a positive and detailed feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our studio and we hope we will have the chance to welcome you back as soon as possible at our hotel. Our apartments have the possibility for a daily cleaning like at the hotel, you can ask this at the front office. Unfortunately we do not have any say in public parking fees. If it was our choice they would be be free of costs.

We hope to welcome you back as soon as possible.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We booked this hotel because it's centrally located, next to the parking garage and just across the bridge from Beluga.
It's a modern hotel with minimalist look and feel. The room was very bright and white, with a heavenly Auping bed. Because the room was so white, it looked dusty even though it was cleaned properly.
As the stairs are very steep it might not be suitable for people with walking disabilities. Our room was on the second floor with two flights of stairs in the room. Not ideal after a couple of drinks!
Overall, it's a decent hotel near the cities main attractions and great for a good night sleep.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Th16
Gent
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Our stay at the Zenden Hotel can only be described as a mixed experience.

Positive aspects:
- nice looking studios
- adequate breakfast
- good location, right next to the city-center

Negative aspects:
- the free wifi did not work (even after a technician came to fix the issue)
- limited hours available for hotel guests to use the swimming pool as it is most of the time used as a sports facility for children
- quite expensive for the value you get

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank TimVT43
Dear TimVT43,

Thank you for your feedback!

We sincerely apologize if our hotel did not manage to fulfill all of your needs. We personally take your remarks up with them and will aim to improve your experience.

We are confident that your next stay with us will be a better experience.

Amsterdam, Nederland
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I wanted to take my mother and my 4 year old son on a nice short vacation during the spring holidays. I found the website of Hotel Zenden in Maastricht and was enthusiastic and curious because the hotel was renovated by Wiel Arets and had won a design prize.

Me and my partner are also interior designers working in diverse market segments, including hotels, so I was especially curious about this particular hotel Zenden.

On the pictures it looked interesting. The pool looked very nice, with a couple of small children on the site of the pool. So we were looking forward to having a swim and and we bought a swim suit especially for this occasion.

But this all never happened.

We arrived with the car in front of the hotel, in a small alley. The "owner", Martijn, was not there, but another man who was not involved with the hotel, but just with the "sport" facility, sat behind the desk in too empy - just cold atmosphere. Emptyness can be very zen and comfortable (and I know what that is – I traveled a lot in Japan in beautiful ‘empty’ ryokans) but this was more like entering a huge freezer. I checked in for me, my mother and son.

"Oh", said the man behind the desk. "We do not allow children, nor do we give out extra beds".

I was astonished, I said there was nothing on their site where that was clearly written.

On the contrary, on their site they gave a totally different impression. On the photo from the pool there are young children, which at least gives the suggestion that the place is also for kids. There were studios with kitchens and at the desk of the Hotel there was even a flyer; "Zenden Sports" with different young children on it.

"No", said the man, "that is from Zenden swimming pool and Zenden sports school"

How vague is that? It is Hotel Zenden and on the site they are promoting the swimming pool and their sports facilities. But in fact they are separate, although all located within the Hotel.

The way the man hehind the desk handeled this situation was both clumsy and very unprofessional. I have not experienced this in my whole traveling career. He offered no excuse from his side, no solution from his side, nothing.

We came all the way from Amsterdam, three hours by car to have a nice night in Hotel Zenden. Then I said "If my son is not welcome here, then we will not stay here."

He said that he "could not guaranty that they would not charge (me) the reservation"

He said, "you've decided not to take the room"

Astonished, I replied, "No we are not welcome with a child, so what can I do?"

Then he had to phone "Martijn" (the owner?) but Martijn was not available. He said that he could not do more and he would phone me when he had spoken with Martijn.

I still did not know what they would do. Are they charging the room?

Then he walked away into another room – left me alone at the desk, so that I could not hear what he discussed with Martijn. He came back and said, "Officially, no children are allowed, as a result, families book two rooms – mother sleeps with one child and the father with the other child. We first had the policy not to allow children, but now we do accept them.

What? I was astonished again! Is this a hotel. Is this for real?! In the meantime I felt extremely unwelcome. It felt so terrible. For some strange reason, he insisted on showing me my reserved room. I reluctantly joined him, and he showed me something that really did not correspond to what was promised. It looked nothing like what was portrayed on the website.

Saddened, astonished and disappointed, I left with my mother and son and we travelled to Roermond to a ordinary hotel in the city were we treated as guests, as it supposed to be.

Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank BarbaraWeenink
Nightmoves, Eigenaar at Hotel Zenden, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Dear Barbara,

We are terrible sorry that your high expectations were not furfilled.

To clarify the ‘vagueness’, to be able to offer a swimmingpool to our guests we are both a hotel and a swimclub located in one building. Swimming lessons are given 3 hours a day, hence you will see kids on the swimclub brochure and not on the hotel brochure.

As you are a seasoned traveller you might know that if you book for 2 persons and want to check in with three persons a problem will occur. Since we are only a small hotel with double rooms, we do not have the capacity to place extra beds or offer triple rooms. This is the reason why families book 2 rooms. A simple telephone call or email for an extra bed request would have saved you a lot of inconvenience.

We have offered you the solution to use the room as a triple room, but you insisted on an extra bed. At the end you choose to cancel the reservation. We did not charge you anything for this. I think this was quite considerate from us.

In any case thank you for pointing out your inconvenience. I hope you understand this was a result of miscommunication. We will try to communicate more clear that we do not have the possibility to accomodate extra beds.

Best regards,

Martijn Zenden
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I stayed in this hotel for one night during a weekend in August, and was glad my stay didn't last longer. To start with the good things: the hotel is in a very central location right in the old quarter of Maastricht, and it was completely refurbished very recently so everything feels fresh and new. The shower was smallish, but had excellent water temperature and pressure. Unfortunately these pros were completely cancelled out by some major issues, which I have listed below in order of significance.

First of all the hotel has no airconditioning. In a chilly country like the Netherlands this will not be a problem during most of the year, but during this particular weekend the outside temperature was 25 Celsius and inside it was 5 more. Our room had two big windows towards the rear which could be fully opened, but even that couldn't bring down the temperature until 5 a.m. or so. Second the pillows were horrible: much too high for anybody's taste. Third, there is nobody at reception after 3 p.m., so I coldn't go down to discuss the aircon or pillow issue until the next morning (the clerk then told me that there is actuallt an "air quality system", but that it was broken and that they hadn't been able to find somebody to fix it due to the summer holiday). Fourth, the rooms are very basic and sterile. I can imagine that some people like this style, but to me it was just too Spartan. It reminded me of the time I stayed in an easyHotel in London (read my earlier review), except this time the entire room was white instead of orange, and of course the price was more than double. The room doesn't even have a desk or proper chair. As a fifth and final issue I found the breakfast too expensive at 13 euros per person. But I'm aware that this is not an uncommon price, and at least here you have a choice whether or not to take it. After a horrible and largely sleepless night I was eager to leave the place asap, and we had a very nice breakfast at a restaurant on the Pietersberg instead for under 10 euros.

I'll be back in Maastricht to enjoy the nice atmosphere in the city and the lovely hills around it, but I'll stick with the tried & trusted Crown Plaza hotel across the river, and swallow the 30-40 euros extra per night in exchange for a decently sized and decorated room and a proper night's sleep.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris_Jetten
Nightmoves, General Manager at Hotel Zenden, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
Dear Chris,

I am sorry that your experience at our hotel has not been positive. I still would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review and pointing out some issues.

Last summer we also noticed that the ventilation in the hotel is not optimal on 'tropical' days. It appears to be that the climate change is so radical that traditional air quality systems are not sufficient anymore. We were even informed by colleagues that they also had problems with regular airco systems last summer. Currently we are working on the ventilation problem on very hot days.

We were not aware of any pillow thickness inconvenience and will acquire thinner pillows for guests with different tastes.

As we are a very small hotel we do not have a 24 hrs reception. From Monday to Friday the reception is open until 22hrs. In weekends the reception is at least open until 15 hrs unless guests want to check in later (mostly). As you might have read in the hotel information brochure there is a 24 hrs, 7 days a week service number available in case the reception is closed.

We understand that our less traditional, minimal, white hotel design is not for everyone's taste. Though we do receive a lot of positive critics from (inter)national press and guests. Resulting in another nomination for best interior design of the year (venuez hospitality and style awards 2010) this week.

Again I would like to thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are always open for constructive critics and do our utmost best to please guests and solve any problems.

Martijn Zenden
Oldenzaal
Reviewed 12 May 2010

We stayed at a great design studio at a perfect location. Parkingfacilities are closeby. You can choose between the parkinggarage (expensive) or beneath the Kennedybridge for only 6 euro a day. The staff was very friendly and made us feel at home. In front of our studio the river Maas and behind the studio the center of Maastricht. No noise when we where inside. The studio had al the comfort we wished. Great bed, beautifull bathroom, smal but compleet kitchen and a nice sofa to sit on. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great otherwise we could have sit on our own terras.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple