“Food excellent, however atmosphere not up to hype”
Review of Beluga loves you

Beluga loves you
Ranked #1 of 18 Dessert in Maastricht
Cuisines: French, Dutch, Seafood, European
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Food excellent, however atmosphere not up to hype”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The title says it all really.

I was really looking forward to experiencing the "concept" of the DJ, the loud sounds, and all my senses being ignited, unfortunately it was only my taste buds that came away (amazingly) satisfied.

Whilst the food was excellent throughout, it was a slight disappointment after building myself up after reading the website and reviews. The music was simply a chill out playlist that you hear in most restaurants and was barely noticeable.

The waiting staff were very friendly and not too formal, however the sommelier didn't really appear to know too much about the wines (nor would I expect him to as he looked no older than 21)... the wines were all under the expected standard compared to similar 1 star Michelin meals eaten elsewhere. In fact a few tasted quite cheap.

The food was excellent, from the olive done three ways, the lobster and courgette dish which was sublime with flavour, texture and smell coming from the air, and the best dish which was the perch with mushrooms, and what appeared to be puréed sauerkraut. Dessert (small, yet rich flavours or rose, vanilla, and raspberry) and chocolates (sublime) were also excellent, with matte served in lovely Beluga crockery.

But unfortunately for me, I left (very slightly) disappointed due to the hype and failed promises (and [relatively] poor matched wine - the best of which was a white burgundy with the perch). I have had far superior dining experiences at 1 star Michelin restaurants in the UK which left me wondering about bias in the star system as this was so clearly lesser in all regards than places such as the Castle Terrace in Edinburgh.

Still an amazing meal.

• Greek first
ADELAIDE
“The Emperor's New Clothes”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly to put it into context, it's not our style of restaurant. What they do, they do it well, but I had to review it as it is for us and to help others with similar tastes. It's an auditory/visual feast, but it lacked for us the tactile/gustatory stimulation I would have expected for the package it appeared to be. To us taste is the primary importance and the rest is to enhance the experience. Good restaurants' have left us with at least 1 memory imprint of the experience. I am hard pressed to remember the meal. Maastricht is a foodie haven, there are other options available.

Visited May 2014
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Well worthy of 2 stars”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

What makes this different from one star or no star restaurants are the details. Dining here is a feast for the senses, not only for the stomach. The visuals attract you upon entry, although the decor may not be to everyone's taste. The music, again not music to all ears, is piped via Bose speakers. The food satietes the senses of smell, touch and taste as well as being very pleasing to the eyes as well. Some dishes were literally too good looking to eat.

The chef obviously takes pride in his creations and is happy to come out and greet the diners. Booking can be done online and there is a place to indicate specific dietary requirements. The big plus is the waiters know what your requirements are upon arrival and will let you know if there is something unsuitable, or modify the menu. Went there for dinner then lunch the following day. As with most restaurants of this caliber, there are complimentary entres BUT I received 2 different ones as I had the 'standard' entre the day before. They remembered and delivered, without me having to remind them.

Everything is carefully thought of, the Italian made linens, the Cutipol cutlery which is so well balanced that they feel more like surgical instruments, the plates which are of different shapes for each course and the well dressed waiters who know their jobs so well. There is no "let me confirm with the chef first", as the waiters know the menu by heart. The sum of each is indeed greater than the parts for Beluga as all these elements come together so exquisitely.

Now the food. The essence of a good restaurant is good food. A great restaurant pays homage to the ingredients by complimenting them yet never overpowers the essence of each ingredient. At Beluga, not only is each course different, each mouthful makes you experience new flavours, depending on how the different components are mixed on your plate. The fish is crispy on the outside yet melts in your mouth once you get to the flesh. The complimentary starter was called black olives but there were 4 different types of black olives, dried, baked, crisps, one of them even served in a pot plant (don't eat the plant).

If you have the time, I would suggest the 6 course menu. If not, order ala-carte but you still order the dessert 'taster' which will surprise you with things which are not exactly what they are. There are no large portions or hurrying to finish so enjoy your time spent and saviour all the sensory delights they have to offer.

1 Thank Imran A
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, slightly pretentious and very LOUD”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was excited to see my old home town Maastricht after many years and really happy that the city as a whole has developed in charm, sophistication and trend by leaps and bounds.
I booked a table at Beluga for lunch. I was told it was one of the top restaurants in Maastricht. The staff are super- friendly, the chef adorable and he takes time to greet and talk to the guests - lovely.
He should be proud as the food is great, Its clean and light, wonderful flavours and combinations.Perhaps it is a little pretentious with the course announcements and presentation -(I felt like I was at Le Gavroche in London - one of the top restaurants in London five times the price!) The fuss was a little unnecessary however the wine list was cleverly devised to support such a designed menu.
However an infuriating part of out lunch was the mood of the place. Yes its trendy, smart and cool but if you were in London or New York one would call this style a little "over" and given that the majority of guests (who could afford to spend minimum 75 euros a head for lunch with wine) were clearly all over 35 I cannot imagine they all wanted to listen to Club chill music that just got louder and louder as the meal progressed.
I could see couples straining to hear each other and when I asked for the music to be turned down just a little, I was told that it was not possible as the music was part of their "concept."

That reply really made us laugh out loud for at our table was a Londoner, a New Yorker and a Parisian. What's more, we are PAYING but we got an arrogant refusal of a modest request. I suggest they review this aspect, read other reviews that complain of the music because it is an expensive restaurant, not a bar in Soho at 11pm and it was LUNCH TIME.

Come on guys, get over yourselves ! Its lunch not STUIDO 54 !

4 Thank melhugsopera
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Beluga, 2*, but.”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The super experience: Beluga, two star Michelin restaurant. Again, a lot of expectations. We decided for a 6 course surprise menu. Splendid, that speaks for itself. But. Beluga changed the menu last year, from large to smaller. Less amuses, lesser portions. And that is good. You got too much of everything and you had no good feeling.
What we did'nt expect was that the complexity of all the presented specialities was too much for us. We did not understand what we got to eat. They explained what was on the plate, but it was so much, you forgot when you started eating. And because of the great variaty it you didn't know what you tasted. A pity.
We concluded that, maybe, we want more honest food, simple, right to the point. That you can see what is on your plate and taste what it is. We don't know.
Further nothing to complain: servce, attention were fantastic. Also the price was about half of what is was, that is a good development in the branche. Do we come back? We have to think it over some time..

• Visited April 2014