“Disappointed on service”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We had dinner here at the 4th of May (Memorial Day in Holland) together with my partner. In Holland we are used to be silent at 20.00 hrs for 2 minutes so when I asked how they would arrange for 20.00 hrs in the restaurant the waiter told me that they would continue working, which is a personal choice. However when I asked if it would be possible to tune down the music then for 2 minutes he bluntly told me that it was not and walked away. Moreover during the 2 minutes he thought it was necessary to bring us the soy sauce, while we were keeping silent. He did not come by the 5 minutes before or the 5 minutes after. I think it was a simple request, no one would have noticed as it was piano music playing nothing special. To us this is important and their response was disrespectful.

Outside of that the food was of average quality with small portions, on the menu it did not say that some of the sushi had wasabi in quite some (big) quantity added to the kappa maki (cucumber roll) as well as to the tuna roll, my partner does not like it that way, certainly not when you have not been warned.

Considering the prices compared to the quality it was on the high end of my expectations and experience with other sushi restaurants. Outside of that it has a nice interior and the possibility to choose between teppan and tables and normal tables is nice as well.

We are not coming back here. There is better choice, even outside of the incident with 2 minutes of silence.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Teppanyaki is always fine and I found this experience to be as expected.
Interestling and fun with a large group of friends. Tasty food too. Compares with other JApanese restaurants in Maastricht.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

They were able to seat us even it we arrived pretty late (after 9 PM).
The food was good, but the seafood for exceptional! - we went for the Tapanyaki, and not Sushi (which is also offered for those who like that - we don't.). The food was abbundant! (we went for the Tappanyaki menu)

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I found this restaurant to be very interesting because it is quite unusual from other Japanese restaurant which are in major cities like London, Paris, Dusseldorf. The chefs there are truely high class who have experiences in working at major Japanese restaurants in expensive major hotel chains. It is also the case that their background are from typical traditional Japanese cuisines.
I think Sushi counter is very well organized. Only pity is that they only have limited materials for sushi. However, within the limited, they are really showing the professionalism. I recomment "omakase" which means "I will follow chef's recommendation" which they can show you really amazing arrangements.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I thought the sushi was very fresh and good but overpriced because of the location. One thing I didn't like was how smokey the restaurant was the evening we ate there. It was Friday night, so very busy and every seat at the hibachi was full. The ventilation wasn't very good so it was very humid and smokey inside the restaurant. We left smelling very strongly of Japanese food--our hair, our clothes, even our skin. :( DISLIKE!