“Nice Place to Stay”

Ranked #7 of 8 Venlo B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Place to Stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I just stayed there for five days and would recommend it. It is an old hotel a bit threadbare, but clean and with character. The staff were very polite and courteous towards me. The bar is open all day and greets you as you enter the hotel. Nice comfy chairs to sit in if you like to sit down have beer and do nothing. They do not allow food in the rooms but you can sit in all of the late night restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

terrible service , terrible room!. the hotel receptionist is very rude and unfriendly at all. Plus he will chase you out if you have your friend with you who you bring into your room just to have a chat. super bad serivce, never recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sunny t

Travellers are raving about these Venlo hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I booked this hotel at 10 pm, planning to arrive at midnight with the train and leaving very early in the morning.

So booking.com let me book the room, but when I arrived the hotel was closed, no way to get in.

I had to sleep in another hotel then.

The day after, I got charged the price of the room for no show! I contacted the owner that told me to contact booking.com. I did so, booking.com contacted the owner and told me that he refused to refund me the price of the room.

That's a total lack of honesty of the owner, there is no way someone came at 10.30 and that he told that the room was booked, because I indicated in the message that I would come at midnight, therefore if he even saw it he would have known I would have stayed outside.

Never go there, there is a nice and friendly hotel just side to it (America hotel or something like that) for just some few euros more.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Nicolas D
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I see quite a few reviews saying the owner was rude, but to me he was very nice in a very Dutch way. He was straight to the point. He told me what I was getting, was prompt and flexible when it came to negotiating things.

I stayed there for a duathlon in Horst, so I had a racing time trial bike. He took a very good care of it. Because the race registration was early in the morning and there were other competitors from the Russian national team staying he offered us to start serving the breakfast earlier than usual. I have stayed at other hotels for racing triathlons before, but most of the time I do not get to have warm food in the morning. The best thing you can get is usually a lunch box with some sandwiches.

The hotel is old, but kept very clean. The had a good range of shampoo etc, which I do not expect from how the hotel looks like. The WiFi was very fast and stable. I stayed in room 28 and the signal was too weak in the room. Maybe that was the only turn off. They had a nice area at the front of the hotel anyway, so I spent most of the time there.

Room Tip: Room 28 had no WiFi.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Gliwice, Poland
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I liked the hotel, room was almost clean and not bad, quiet and warm.
But I don't like the man in reception. He was rude, and not nice at all..
It's close to Station Centraal, and close to some PUB's..

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Luciusz
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I was raised in Venlo and always loved Limburg, I went with my girlfriend and father for a short break to venlo, it was july and the weather was gorgeous, the owner was a lovely old gentleman, a real limburger just like my father, It is a family run hotel but it does give you the feeling of limburgs warmth and friendlyness, they made as feel really welcome ad even my girlfriend with her lack of the Dutch langauge, it is at the end of the town centre and next to the train station so overall good situated, breakfast was lovely ,typical venlo style, lots of different breads, meats cheeses,etc etc.. and very friendly start of the day, price for a double room is on par with one in a main town centre location in the uk so all good , i cant complain about it,it served its purpose for our needs and will stay there again, tip just soak up the atmosthere and enjoy what venlo has to other after all a hotel is just a place to take a shower and get some sleep the rest is upto you...

Room Tip: get a front facing room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jacquiietpp
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The only positive for this hotel is that it is very central, close to the railway station and town centre. I stayed there for two nights while visiting Floriade 2012.

My first impression on arrival (at approx. 1 p.m.) was that this was a very unfriendly hotel. There was no word of welcome. I was brusquely told that my room wouldn’t be ready till 3 p.m. I have no major problem with that although a 3 p.m. check-in is rather late. There was no offer of tea or coffee. The hotel itself is dark and drab and much in need of a makeover.

When I returned after 3 p.m., I was shown to the room. There was barely enough room to pass at the end of the bed from one side of the room to the other. Décor was a horrible green which was splashed with some unknown substance, possible beer. The en-suite bathroom was generally grotty. Plumbing from other rooms passed through my room and was very noisy

Next morning, I went to the dining room for breakfast. The selection was fine – a choice of breads cheese, ham, jams etc which was served at the table. However, when I asked for some fresh milk for my tea I was rudely informed that the “coffeecreme” was for both coffee and tea. In all my year’s travelling around the world, I have never experienced a hotel that couldn’t supply some fresh milk.

There are notices plastered around the dining room warning guests that taking lunch packs was not permitted. This set me wondering as to whether the unused food on each guests table is being recycled to other guests. As this hotel seems to have a problem with guests taking food from the dining room, they should see this as a business opportunity and offer lunch packs for a few Euro. They could then remove all these “negative” notice and offer an enhanced customer experience

This hotel does not serve food, apart from breakfast. But don’t even think about bring back food to eat in your room. There is a notice in the room saying that eating is prohibited. The manager said that this was a government rule but I didn’t believe him. On my return from Floriade, I purchased a snack and a drink at the train station and brought is back to the hotel. I sat in an annexe at the front of the hotel to enjoy it but was quickly told by the manager that this was not allowed and was lectured on the cost of his coffee machine. Despite the fact that he couldn’t provide any food he was not prepared to tolerate anyone bringing food into his hotel!

All in all, this is not a hotel I would recommend. I certainly won’t be back.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo