“Good location should not be an excuse for average quality food”

Cafe Restaurant Central
Ranked #6 of 139 Restaurants in Venlo
Price range: US$6 - US$41
Cuisines: International
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Just one experience but significantly disappointed. I ordered a classic, Cesar salad, but their variation was made out of cheaper ingredients which is not a great idea, generally I would say do not mess up with classics. Instead of Parmesan, there was young Dutch grated cheese, where I was hoping for chunks of smoked chicken, some thin slices of processed turkey, and all that bathed in an unnecessarily great amount of mayonaise-tasting sauce, it was difficult to find a piece of lettuce that would not be soaked in it.
Apart from that it is a nice place in a central and cozy location, surrounded by pleasant old buildings saved from the bombing in the WWII, the service was OK, the terrace full and vibrant, comfortable chairs and shadowed tables.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

well, if you are walking in the heart of town and need a spot to stop by, that's a very good choice!
Food, beer and everything is really good. Three floors of seats, good music, warm atmosphere and....free wifi connection!
I do really enjoy this place, even for a cup of tea.
It's the perfect place where you can head for either for dinner, or lunch...or simply to stop for a beer or to have breakfast...let me say...for every need!

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Two early evening dinners, the first a beef stroganoff and the second poached cod, both served atop seasonal fresh vegetables and accompanied by a cone of fries were high quality pub food. Friendly and helpful staff made me feel welcome, and the people-watching in the lovely square was a nice added attraction.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

From the time we stepped in we were made very welcome by the staff. The food was excellent quality and good portions. The staff were very helpful.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

After a day exploring the Floriade in Venlo (which was great by the way), we wanted to stop somewhere for a drink and snack. Cafe Central had a terrace and we spotted a free table in the sunshine, so we sat down and had a look at the menu. We ordered 2 glasses of wine (1 Chardonnay and 1 Pinot Grigio) and a platter of bread and tapenade. The wines were the most expensive wines on the menu by the glass at 4.50 a glass.

The wine came and both were disgusting, absolutely undrinkable. Tasted like the same wine too. I know a fair bit about wine and can identify different varietals. There is NO WAY we were served what we ordered. This place puts one thing on the menu and then serves you something completely different, probably 1 euro a carton cr*p from the Makro.

Our bread platter never came and we got tired of waiting, so we headed off. We left 10 euros on the table to cover the cost of the wine, although on hindsight we shouldn't have bothered. We didn't want to wait around for our change because the waitress was nowhere to be seem and the man at the next table had lit up a stinking cigar. If I could give this place zero I would. But I have to give one, so just consider it a zero and avoid this dreadful place. We stopped somewhere else which wasn't bad but I can't remember the name so can't review it.

2  Thank Victel