“Eindhovens MOMA”

Van Abbemuseum
Ranked #5 of 69 things to do in Eindhoven
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Van Abbemuseum in Eindhoven was one of the first public museums for contemporary art to be established in Europe in 1936. The museum’s collection of around 2700 works of art includes key works and archives by Lissitzky, Picasso, Kokoschka, Chagall, Beuys, McCarthy, Daniëls and Körmeling. The museum has an experimental approach towards art’s role in society. A source of surprise, inspiration and imagination for its visitors and participants.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

As a born "Eindhovenaar" my only experience until recent was a mandatory school visit (when I was 12). You guessed right, I never visited again until recently. And what a surprise I got. This museum is worthwhile for all and even if you don't like modern art you can still enjoy the architecture of the museum.
The rotating collection makes it worthwhile to revisit. There is lots of information to do a tour your self but if you like to hear an expert explain and in doing so widen and deepen the experience you can do that as well.
A must see if you have some time to spend in Eindhoven.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We sort of fell into the Van Abbe Museum on a visit to Eindhoven last week. I love modern and contemporary art so when we saw that it was on our museum cards off we went. The architecture was really special as was the landscape which used the water well.

We hadn't had lunch yet so a piece of cake and a coffee were the start to the visit rather than the end. Cake was excellent as was the coffee. People eating sandwiches and soup around us had lovely large portions of really nice looking food - worth a stop on the way in or out of the museum.

The Museum is fairly large and has wonderful exhibits on that change regularly. Despite being Museum Weekend with reduced admission (for those without Museum Cards) it was still not overcrowded and had a nice buzz and flow.

The shop was well stocked and well run so that you could buy cards or books of the exhibits that you particularly enjoyed.

A nice way to spend a couple of hours.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I visited this museum some months ago (to see the exhibition of Rene Daniels, a local artist) and I loved the exhibition. The information provided when we entered the museum was very helpful and also the people working there gave as interesting information about the artwork.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Nice way to spend 2-3 hours, I visited an exposure of art of industrial designs. A must see for people involved somehow in design in general or specific lifestyle (product) designs...

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Ticket was 12 Euros. The museum was a 10 minute walk from the train station through the city center. The museum has a nice collection of contemporary art. When I visited, a temporary exhibition themed 'Black or White' was there. Visit http://vanabbemuseum.nl/ for upcoming events and exhibitions. The Multi level interior has many things to offer with an open-air terrace.