“Afternoon tea heaven!”

Ranked #5 of 3,767 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Cuisines: French, Dutch, International, European
Good for: Cheap Eats, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Having travelled from London via Brussels we arrived keen to try out the Gartine. I had heard it was advisable to book in advance, simply done with a phone call, as their website does not support online bookings - no problem.
And I was pleased we had booked, as it is exquisitely small, and fully occupied bar our reserved table.
We had the afternoon tea, and it was simply ingeniously delicious. The variety of how food can be presented was delightful, with hosts who are clearly at one with what they are delivering.
Local/home grown/allotment produce abounds, and the overall effect is that you simply want to return again.
A minor word of warning (sounds a bit too harsh maybe) but if you need the toilet be aware it is accessed via open steep stairs ( but hey this is Amsterdam).

1 Thank ThePughs14

• Turkish first
Paris, France
“Delicious for breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was a great place-- small and cute and delicious. The pancakes were special and the coffee was very nice. The toasted raisin farmers Gouda cheese and apple was also amazing. I would definitely get a reservation, though. It looked like it was full the second it opened in the morning. The service was nice and they speak English.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank julief0000
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Beautiful gem in the centre of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I had heard a lot about this place and was definitely not disappointed! I had a wonderful lunch here recently, I had the chicory salad with cured ham and egg which was delicous with most ingredients fresh from the Gartine garden in North Amsterdam and I also went for a dessert. The high tea looked wonderful, I will be going back to try for myself...and I loved the decor. Service was very obliging and friendly. Don't forget to book!

Amsterdam
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I have lived in Amsterdam nearly 20 years and never knew about this place. Rated number #1 here for lunch, had a rare day off so thought I would try it. A very small place, quaint and an interesting lunch menu. I ordered the lambs ham with asparagus on sour dough bread. Simply beautiful. The dressing was amazing and the lambs ham very tasty.

Then cheesecake - cinnamon and caramel - WOW! I know a couple of cheesecake addicts that I will definitely bring here.

The service was excellent.

One small thing, for me the coffee was a bit weak, but I like very trying coffee which is not everyone's taste

Highly recommended!!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very good place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Had lunch with my 13 year old daughter Margo and we can say it was great. Margo had some pancakes with nuts and maplesyrop and I had bread with ham of a lamb and salad. We finished with Chocolate cake. Fresh home made Ice tea and orange juice and great cappuccino were our drinks. Very nice little restaurant with good atmosphere and service was very good with our waitress Annemieke!! Very nice owners also! We can imagine why this restaurant is rated so good! Be sure to make a reservation. Mathe and Margo de Groot.